Beretta .22 caliber pistol

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by havasu, Jan 9, 2012.

1. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

The question recently came up as to what is the smallest caliber handgun you'd trust to protect yourself from wild animals while out hiking. My personal favorite dangerous animal self-defense gun has always been a little Beretta .22 caliber pistol. Over the years when hiking I never leave without it in my pocket. Of course we all know the first rule when hiking in the wilderness is to ALWAYS use the "Buddy System".

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with this, it means that you NEVER hike alone, you ALWAYS bring along a friend or companion. In this case, two are definitely much safer/better than one for obvious reasons.

I remember an incident when I was hiking in Alaska with a very good and old friend, and out of nowhere came this huge Grizzly Bear and man was she ever MAD! We must have accidentally been near her cubs. Anyway, if I had not had my little Beretta I'd not be here today. That's right, one shot to my friend's knee cap and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace. :p

2. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

Just like I always say, You ain't gotta outrun the bear, you just gotta outrun your buddy. ;)

I like the Ruger Mark II for hiking myself, take out a kneecap a little further away than that tiny Beretta

3. american lockpicker

american lockpicker New Member

I used to have a Ruger MKII Target and it had decent range.

4. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

I have a Mark 1 I enjoy.