Glock Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
GrassHopper
Joined
·
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is my first day as a range officer (volunteer) at the Ben Avery shooting facility in Phoenix, AZ.

I am bringing ammo for afterwards so I'll post some pics of my shooting as well!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Outstanding, glad to see you giving back to the shooting community and you'll probably have fun doing it. Good job!
 

·
GrassHopper
Joined
·
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So... Lessons learned...

1. You can get a citation for brandishing a firearm at a gun range... Plus reckless endangerment. This occurs when you pick up a firearm during the cease fire period and then cuss out the range officer...

2. Please listen when a range officer tells you to let your gun cool off... Placing a plastic magazine in a red hot AR and pulling the trigger will result in your firearm exploding... Plastic mags tend to melt and jam the action...

3. Do not accuse range officers of being a wanna be cop, we are there for yours and everybody's safety, we can tell you to leave, we can issue citations signed by our resident park ranger. Please note, we are the only people there that are unarmed, and we are ok with that. We can still take you out...

More lessons to come...

Oh and here is my shooting for the day, only 50 rounds, broke up the shoots at several small targets. Here is one, 10yds... .40sw g22.


Overall I had fun!!! I love this job!!! :D
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
blackwolffcf said:
So... Lessons learned...

1. You can get a citation for brandishing a firearm at a gun range... Plus reckless endangerment. This occurs when you pick up a firearm during the cease fire period and then cuss out the range officer...

2. Please listen when a range officer tells you to let your gun cool off... Placing a plastic magazine in a red hot AR and pulling the trigger will result in your firearm exploding... Plastic mags tend to melt and jam the action...

3. Do not accuse range officers of being a wanna be cop, we are there for yours and everybody's safety, we can tell you to leave, we can issue citations signed by our resident park ranger. Please note, we are the only people there that are unarmed, and we are ok with that. We can still take you out...

More lessons to come...

Oh and here is my shooting for the day, only 50 rounds, broke up the shoots at several small targets. Here is one, 10yds... .40sw g22.

Overall I had fun!!! I love this job!!! :D
Sounds like you had a fun day friend
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
That's awesome. We have this older guy RO at my local range and he is really cool. He dosent yell at you or treat you like a kid. But makes sure you are safe and comfortable at the line.
 

·
GrassHopper
Joined
·
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ash1012 said:
That's awesome. We have this older guy RO at my local range and he is really cool. He dosent yell at you or treat you like a kid. But makes sure you are safe and comfortable at the line.
Yep. That's it... Very welcoming, very helpful. Only time we yell is if you pick up a gun on a cease fire or point a gun at someone... Majority of people are first time shooters and if you yell at them they may never come back. Step in and enforce the rules, offer help where needed, and be happy! Got to meet a lot of great people and handle some pretty cool weapons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,359 Posts
Good to see you had fun as a RO and that you have such a good and positive outlook when it comes to helping new shooters be safe without making them feel badly that they made a mistake. A bad RO drives many new shooters away forever, a good RO hooks ten times as many new shooters for life! :)
 

·
GrassHopper
Joined
·
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CountryMick said:
Good to see you had fun as a RO and that you have such a good and positive outlook when it comes to helping new shooters be safe without making them feel badly that they made a mistake. A bad RO drives many new shooters away forever, a good RO hooks ten times as many new shooters for life! :)
It takes a certain type of person to do this and I fit in with the group very well. We laugh off the tense events, joke with eachother, and we are pretty relaxed, however, very safety oriented. Safety first, literally. Ben Avery is a family friendly facility. During the RSO training we are taught customer service, and how to deescalate situations. Big difference here is the customer is not always right, 99% of the time they are wrong. Not only are we background checked but we have to get a security clearance.
Lots of hoops to jump through... But is worth it to save lives, and teach people the right way to use firearms.

Plus, me being a young entrepreneur, it enables me to learn a lot!!!

Teaching first time women shooters on Tuesday's and helping at the main range when I can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
I quit going there for many years. First, I watched a moron walk onto the range during open fire. That was scary. I thought I was about to witness natural selection up close.

Second, there were a few that worked there that thought they needed to interject thier "expertise" to everyone. And, they were morons with bad info.

Fast forward to now and I go there from time to time. I used to go weekly but my work schedule does not permit this anymore. (they are closed Mon and Tues) I find the people there more friendly and there are far less safety issues. Thanks for giving your time.
 

·
GrassHopper
Joined
·
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brutusvk said:
I quit going there for many years. First, I watched a moron walk onto the range during open fire. That was scary. I thought I was about to witness natural selection up close.

Second, there were a few that worked there that thought they needed to interject thier "expertise" to everyone. And, they were morons with bad info.

Fast forward to now and I go there from time to time. I used to go weekly but my work schedule does not permit this anymore. (they are closed Mon and Tues) I find the people there more friendly and there are far less safety issues. Thanks for giving your time.
Now we are trained that if someone doesnt want help or advise, to let them be. As long as they are being safe, theyre ok. I haven't met everyone yet, but do far I like the other RSOs. They have been making several changes in the past years because of the new leadership. Hope to see you out there sometime!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
Hey Black they shoot IDPA there don't they. It is 3.5 hrs drive for me but I think it is the closest IDPA to me.

OK Never mind I just looked and it isn't but a range a little closer (2 hrs instead of 3.5 hrs) just started shooting IDPA Again in Kingman.
Glad you had fun. Not so sure I would want to be a RO with out a side Arm on! More Power to you for doing it though. I loved teaching shooting. 20+ yrs of it and I almost go through withdrawls. So I take my Daughter and wife out and RO for them. My Brother who lives in Buckeye brings his kids out 8-10 and we work with them so I get my fix that way! Anyway thanks for being there to help new shooters and thanks for the report!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,810 Posts
When I worked for McMillan Arms in '89 we'd hit Ben Avery about once a month to sight in the M-88, 50cals at 600 yards. I'd normally work the pit but I did get to shoot once, it was a blast(pun intended,LOL) and I actually cut a 10" group for 5 shots at 600 yards with one of the Big 50's. Of course the regular guy, Steve(little guy, 5'8", 140lbs soaking wet) could cut 6" groups all day long at that range with the M-88's but hey, he'd shot em' a lot.
Anyway, congrats on the job, sounds like it's going to be fun. :D
 

·
GrassHopper
Joined
·
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys! Yeah I can look up the shooting groups for you if you would like. Several companies here in AZ use Ben Avery. As an RSO I am not allowed to carry my weapon but rest assured it is nearby... Also, I do carry OC spray and my cold steel spartan. Besides, I am surrounded by all kinds of weapons and I know how to operate every one of them! However, as soon as I get my law enforcement certs, I will be packing heat!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Cool that you're volunteering. Kudos. I've been in Phx about 13-14 years now and have to hit up BA. Quite a trek for me coming from Laveen - maybe I can talk the buddies to making a trip out that way. But its hawt!!! I'm sure audibly would be a lot quieter than indoor range.
 

·
GrassHopper
Joined
·
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you a want to make a trek out here. I don't mind y'all coming whenever but we have a glock forum BBQ scheduled on sept 8th. Several guys are planning on coming out for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
blackwolffcf said:
If you a want to make a trek out here. I don't mind y'all coming whenever but we have a glock forum BBQ scheduled on sept 8th. Several guys are planning on coming out for that.
Yessur - I submitted my request to hang with the boys to my wife aka: CFO (CHEAP Financial Officer). She's wanting to head back to Seattle to visit fam around that time. Range request pending approval. ;)
 

·
GrassHopper
Joined
·
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SuperSport said:
Yessur - I submitted my request to hang with the boys to my wife aka: CFO (CHEAP Financial Officer). She's wanting to head back to Seattle to visit fam around that time. Range request pending approval. ;)
I am still hoping the fire ban will be lifted by then... Working out alternatives...
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top