Beginner Shotgun

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by cwj1981, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hey everybody I was going to get into hunting this year for water fowl and grouse, what would be a good shotgun and gauge to start out with. I dont need a Benelli right off the bat. Im looking to start at the lower end of the spectrum in price just because I want to find out if Ill like it or not. Thanks for the help in advance!

2. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

I have always been fond of the Remington 870 pump 12 gauge. They are well built, look good, easy to operate, and pretty inexpensive (which I understand is a relative term!).

3. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

I love my Mosberg 835. It is chambered in 3 1/2 and has a 24" barrel. It is sold as a Turkey gun but i hunt everything with it, pheasant,quail,ducks,geese,and turkey.

4. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

I'll second Havasu's comments on the 870. Ohio's deer gun season is shotgun-only.

I picked up this kit a few years back for around $450:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-combos.aspx

20" rifled slug barrel, 26" shot barrel, chambered for 3" shells.

The 870 is a pretty heavy gun, though. I bought a similar 887 kit for my brother's 18th birthday which is much lighter in the hands, but a little heavier on the wallet - about $550 IIRC:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-887/model-887-nitro-mag-camo-combo.aspx

22" smooth-bore "turkey" barrel (It has rifle sights and comes with a super full choke; he swapped the choke for an improved cylinder to shoot slugs for deer) and 28" shot barrel.

I prefer the 870 myself, but the lighter weight of the 887 is awfully appealing.

5. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Active Member

Mossberg 500 or Remmington 870 in Pump. Consider 20 gauge over 12. Still effective for defense.

For semiauto, the Mossberg 930SPX is faster to shoot.

6. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

I second CDR_Glocks opinon, except for ducks I still recommend a 12 gauge. For smaller birds (quail, pheasant, grouse) then a 20 would be fine.
    A Mossberg will be cheaper, but an 870 has a huge aftermarket following. Police departments use both. Good enough in my book!

7. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

The 870 is a great choice. I would look for a 12 ga. pump with interchangeable choke tubes. This way you can set it up for any hunting scenario.

8. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

This thread needs MOAR PICS!
    Remington 870 Express combo:
    [​IMG]

Remington 887 Express Camo Combo:
    [​IMG]

9. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

You are correct R/A. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

10. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

I bought an RIA M5 shotgun in 12gauge, what you guys think about it? Shoots pretty nice to me, ordering a pistol girp for it soon.

11. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Heres a pic of it next to my g30.

Attached Files:

12. The 870 express combo is really looking like a nice little deal. Thanks for all your help everyone. Ill probably be purchasing later in the year so if anyone else has any other ideas feel free to post.