Glock Firearms banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
no its not a laser sight for your pistol. it is a training device that uses a laser that goes in the chamber of the gun, when you pull the trigger the firing pin hits the dummy round with laser in it

Home - G-Sight

here is a you tube video on the system, there are a lot more just first one that came up
I'll look into it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll look into it.
There are also alternatives out there. I got a "Laserlyte" brand that was the same thing. I signed up for some instruction after not being happy with shot placement on a gun I'd just purchased and the guy working the counter showed me the Laserlyte. It'd been quite some time since I'd shot honestly and I wasn't very experienced to begin with.. but, seeing the laser hit anywhere but where I was aiming, or seeing it move or something was a clear indicator that something was either off with my grip, my trigger finger placement, the way I was applying pressure to the trigger, or simply an incorrect sight picture. It made me start examining the fundamentals it'd been awhile since I'd used. Also turned me towards youtube and articles on grip and trigger control.

I was seeing improvements in my consistency within the first day or two, but I've had it for about 3.5 weeks now and have probably hit it with the strikers of both of my 9mm pistols over a thousand times. The batteries are finally starting to get waek, the laser is starting to dim, part of that might because I reach in an activate the laser as part of my safety check. My lesson is in a couple of days, and I while there may be things I'm missing in my approach, I think it's going to be a much different lesson than if I hadn't been recommended the laser cartridge.

·
Grumpy Old Man
5,338 Posts
Most of my shooting career has been with rifles. What I learnt very early in my career was don't try too hard! When firing just concentrate on your target. The firearm firing should come as a natural thing, not a concise effort . The same with sight/ target alignment. The secret is practice and not trying to analyse everything that is happening at the same time! Don't worry about the firearm not being steady! I always tell new shooters that the human body is a flawed design when it comes to shooting! In a perfect world we would have 3 legs so we could stand like a tripod and have 4 arms. 2 to hold the firearm and 2 to support the first 2 arms ,for a steady rest!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'll look into it.
Followup. I decided to order a laser but I have one concern. Doesn't dry firing a laser get you in the bad habit of racking the slide before every shot? I'm already trying to avoid that instinct when practicing without anything inside except a dummy round. I tell myself to rack, fire, and then fire a few times more without the trigger being cocked so that I can learn to shoot multiple shots in followup to the first one without losing the sight alignment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Followup. I decided to order a laser but I have one concern. Doesn't dry firing a laser get you in the bad habit of racking the slide before every shot? I'm already trying to avoid that instinct when practicing without anything inside except a dummy round. I tell myself to rack, fire, and then fire a few times more without the trigger being cocked so that I can learn to shoot multiple shots in followup to the first one without losing the sight alignment.
With a striker fired or single action pistol, yeah you'll have to rack the slide for every shot. Get in the habit of safety checking or press checking your weapon every time you pick it up. Even if you just recently set it down, to verify you didn't say insert a loaded magazine inbetween the last time you picked it up. As a matter of fact, before dry fire practice take any ammo and loaded magazines and set them in another room when you intend to dry fire practice. You can also keep the trigger depressed while racking, regain your grip and practice reset and followup.

There's also the thought that if you get a double action pistol, or a DA/SA pistol.. you can dry fire with a laser round or snap cap without having to rack the slide. Dry fire practice is likely where you're going to develop your trigger control and it's a lot less expensive than range time. I ordered a Sirt pistol last night in the hope that I can use it to maintain grip and trigger control without having to rack my slide. There's also a company that makes a CO2 system you can install in many types of pistols as long as they aren't microcompact. It's much much more expensive, but, it provides some recoil training along with the laser shots. I kind of want one but not enough to drop $600 on it.

Even though I know my laserlyte round is in one of my weapons.. when i reach to pick it up I will lock the slide back, visually inspect, and insert my finger into the barrel to make sure it's clear, or at least that I have my laserlyte installed.

Glockstore also sells the glock reset trigger kit which will allow the trigger to reset without having to rack the slide for dryfire practice. But you have to know how to change out your trigger and trigger housing, which isn't complicated at all but food for thought.

·
Registered
165 Posts
There's this thing, but I'm not sure if the striker can fire or it just allows the trigger to go backwards repeatedly:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I'll get there. I'm inherently a careful, deliberate person.
Hello from the UK, the uplula loader works well but I got a cheaper version on ebay and so far works well. I don't use it that often as i prefer revolver shooting these days but my son says it's fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hello from the UK, the uplula loader works well but I got a cheaper version on ebay and so far works well. I don't use it that often as i prefer revolver shooting these days but my son says it's fine.
I found that the included Glock loader is good enough for me. I don't want to get more gadgets. Just settling down to shooting regularly. Ideally once a week.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Followup. I decided to order a laser but I have one concern. Doesn't dry firing a laser get you in the bad habit of racking the slide before every shot?
Gizmo's are no substitute for live fire. There is no recoil, and no noise, which is what most newbies react to. You need to learn how to grip it and rip it. Fundamentals first: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control, then transitions and movement.

This is the goal of practical shooting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Get yourself some snap caps or you can even dry fire your Glock all you want without damaging it. Dry firing, grip and stance will build your ability to shoot well and stay on target. I also suggest you shoot at around 5 yards to 15 yards and 25 yards for fun and to work on your trigger control.

5 to 15 yards is normally recognized as the distance you may have to encounter a threat so it's important to practice at that distance as well as a smooth draw from your IWB or OWB holster.

Glock 45's are great carry and conceal guns, although I hate the front slide serrations and carry a G 19X myself and wish Glock would remove them.

Dry firing or using snap caps will improve your shooting more than any other practice my friend.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Well, actually dry firing, without a snap cap, can damage the breech face, as the firing pin impacts the back side, instead of the primer absorbing the energy. It can blow out the breech face after several thousand rounds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been to the Glock armorers and shooting course and they have told me to dry fire to my hearts content my friend.

I, however like using snap caps anyway and still suggest using them. I, like you just feel funny doing it without snap caps. So, although in each class they told me I could, I still use snap caps lol.

Just curious, how do you know this????

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
I know this from personal experience in competition. Lots of the guys have dry fired thousand of rounds until the breech face blew out. Without a primer to deform, there is nothing to absorb the energy. Keep in mind most Glock owners will never go beyond 20,000 rounds in a lifetime, if that. Competition shooters will run 20,000 to 80,000 rounds a year. But Glock will replace the slide when you send it in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, those Glock armorers never told us about that. So, I still use a snap cap as I said. It never made sense to me so I never have lol. Thanks for the picture and I'm glad I didn't listen to them anyway......lol

I am surprised there is enough energy in the spring to do that much damage but a picture never lies. Is this your personal gun that it happened to???

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks a lot for your comments. One issue I had is that I could not, for the life of me keep focus on the front sight. One shot would be dead center and then my focus would blur. The rear sights would distort my view of the front and often all would blur together, often the more I concentrated on staying focused. Do you think this would be fixed with the Big Dot sight? I'm hoping that would draw my eye naturally to the main feature.
Here's an idea not all will agree with. Front sight focus is great for target shooting, but there is a fairly popular school of thought that says in a real life situation, you WILL focus on the threat NOT the front sight. Especially with vision issues, it might be a good idea try focusing on the target. When I do it, I am less accurate but still plenty accurate for self-defense.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
noob, yea you can find tons of pics for blown out or cracked breech faces. The pic on the lower right is not that, it's blow by erosion from too light of reloads, most common on .45acp. My kid had that on a new G21 from running Minor floor loads, and noticed it at about 5,000 rounds. Not an issue with factory ammo.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Rev that is correct. Self defense is not Bullseye, breath and squeeze, and focus on the front sight, and follow thru and all that. It's grip it and rip it. You should be target focused and if you go fast enough, you won't remember seeing the sights, but still have a tight enough group at 3-7 yards.

But the OP has astigmatism, no magic sight or optic can fix that. The only thing that works is too blink, but do it quickly, often before the blurs come back. Most new shooters spend far too much time trying to find the front sight, instead of just going from low ready (not from the holster) to center mass.

·
Registered
14 Posts
noob, yea you can find tons of pics for blown out or cracked breech faces. The pic on the lower right is not that, it's blow by erosion from too light of reloads, most common on .45acp. My kid had that on a new G21 from running Minor floor loads, and noticed it at about 5,000 rounds. Not an issue with factory ammo.
Yeah. I can't control the results of my search. ;) Several of those do like they were pushed out by a striker whose only resistance was the breech face though.

Here's an idea not all will agree with. Front sight focus is great for target shooting, but there is a fairly popular school of thought that says in a real life situation, you WILL focus on the threat NOT the front sight. Especially with vision issues, it might be a good idea try focusing on the target. When I do it, I am less accurate but still plenty accurate for self-defense.
I believe this is called "Point shooting". My recently acquired SIRT trainer would lead me to believe I'm not half bad at it. I'd probably get in trouble attempting it at any of my local ranges however. Wonder if the OP is cross dominant like myself. I do some activities lefty, most others righty. I can for the most part, choose which eye behaves as my dominant eye. But it also happens to me when I don't want it to if I'm focusing on something within arms reach like a handgun in my hands. The simplest solution for me personally is to close the non dominant eye. I can open it and look around if needed. People are advised to shoot with both eyes open but I've been told more than once to just close one eye due to my cross dominance. I also have an astigmatism.

I also want to touch on something else SixG17s said.. about dry fire and gismos being no substitute. According to my most recent range experience after having my laser cap for several weeks, he's absolutely right. It's a good supplement but no substitute. I absolutely shot with more consistency and more confidence in my shot placement this week. I had an easier time reacquiring my sights after a shot and was able to do quicker follow up shots. But the bang and recoil certainly exposed some flaws in my grip I overlooked and honestly, as fatigued as my hands were after 130 rounds.. I'm ordering some grip strength trainers. I've had a bum shoulder for a long time and I'm simply not that strong. So between now and my next range visit I'm working on correcting my grip and turning that into muscle memory through dry fire, and I'm also going to start doing exercises to enhance my grip strength in the hope that it takes less effort to hold on tight.

My name does and should indicate I'm a novice shooter and I'm not claiming to be some expert. But the dry fire practice is teaching me things and live fire is teaching me what to focus on next. I am really enjoying the laser cartridge as a snap cap however. It doesn't get caught on the extractor, and the feedback from the laser report tells me that I'm better at manipulating the trigger than I thought I was.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Grip is 99% of shooting mechanics. When I was teaching, one demo I used was to stand on one leg, on the start signal, draw and fire 3 rounds at a target at 5 yards one handed. Do that a couple of times, then repeat the drill with my eyes closed. Open eye groups were more centered than closed eye, but roughly the same group size. It's not strength of grip, it's position of grip. Hold your gun like this. As high the web of your shooting hand as you can get. These videos I made years ago also illustrates grip position over strength. Originally was talking about limp wrist, which is popularly believed to be strength, but it's just position.

Only my middle finger and thumb are holding the gun.

Position of grip, even upside down and weak handed.....

21 - 40 of 46 Posts