Barrel Polishing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by G22GEN4, Apr 18, 2012.

1. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

Hey guys I want to strip the blue off a barrel & polish it to a shiny chrome like finish without it rusting on me. Any & all info on this is well appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, u didn't think I was talking bout my Glock did ya? Lol

2. It isn't going to rust on you because all you are doing it taking off the outer coating. Unless you are experienced in the polishing of metals, I strongly suggest you do not do this on your own. So many of them get messed up or just look terrible. I don't charge much, so the advice comes from genuine concern, not from a point of profit. Hell I'm so busy I could stand to pass one up....but I won;t LOL

A few notes if you decide to take this on:

DO NOT USE VINEGAR. God I hate when people do that. You can damage the metal, and there is no point because the stuff comes off easy on its won. I mean literally it can pit the metal and I fix at least one a week that someone did this too.

DO NOT USE SANDPAPER. There is absolutely no reason. If you insist on it, make sure to use a block so it's level and only go in straight lines, in a single direction. No back and forth. Again, no reason for it.

DO IT BY HAND! Power tools will not give you the same shine as by hand. Finishing with a dremel and a felt tip is fine, but that is only after hours and hours of hand polishing. Why? Once a machine starts the polishing process it becomes almost impossible to do it by hand. You are then forced to stick with the machine method and you will not get the same great results. You just won't, and I don't care what anyone says. I spend 4-6 hours on the average barrel for a reason, I'm not lazy and I demand quality.

3. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

Ok what's the best way to strip the blue?

4. Just polish it. You can also use an abrasive buff pad if it is being difficult. With some long guns it can be a real PITA, in this case even I will pull out the dremel and use a polish stone on VERY low speed. But I don't like too. I think I have done that once in 8 or so years.

5. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

Lol yeah its a rifle. Sks to be exact. I've worked on many gun, just never polished any. I used sand paper for a barrel 1 time to prep it for paint, man it was grove all through that sucker & showed good through the paint lol. So I know not to do that again. I'm by far no gunsmitth, but have had good luck on repairs & wooden stock work.. thanks for the tips & advice bro.

6. I polished an older SKS, you should be good with the polish. Start out with Jewelers Rouge and finish it with Mothers Mag Polish. That is the combination I used for years, now I have a set of custom compounds I use. Good you already experienced the sandpaper, even 1,000 grit on wet sand will do that.

If the finish is on there good you can get a "block/pad" by 3M at walmart in the paint section. It's yellow and pretty smooth to the touch, I think it's around 320 grit. You can use that with little or no pressure, going one direction to help break the finish before you start in with the polish. That pad won't scratch it, and if it does you will never see it. Just don't push down.