Barrel polishing help

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by cbk342, Mar 11, 2012.

1. cbk342

cbk342 New Member

This week I'm going to polish my g19 barrel ... I will use a vinegar soak for a few hours and make sure my bore is plugged so it doesn't get affected. Then I'll wash it with soap and water followed by a soft 414 felt dremel wheel with flits polish added to it. Final step will be a cleaning of barrel and bore.... Anyone have anything to add that I should do... I've never done it before and I don't wanna screw it up

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Never done this before, so nothing to add. Except....

Post pics when you're done, please, and narrate what you did and your impressions.

Thanks, and good luck to you!

3. cbk342

cbk342 New Member

Will do I forgot to mention I will do the pins and slide release as well it suks I have to order some flitz polish though so it could be awhile I'm gonna post before and after pics

4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Our local Home Depot carries Flitz, in sachets and tubes.

5. iRockGlock

iRockGlock Well-Known Member

I'm also thinking of doing it to my G19 barrel. Good luck

6. I used mothers mag wheel polish on mine and it turned out great. I was a little worried about using the vinegar on mine. Didn't wanna use anything with acid in it. I used a dremel with polishing wheel and spent a lot of time by polishing by hand. I did everything you are doing now.

image-2196225040.jpg

image-3060078583.jpg

image-1935374002.jpg

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Looks real good, Jkutrz!

8. Thank you!

9. cbk342

cbk342 New Member

Ya it does look good so u didn't use vinegar just the mag wheel polish with a dremel....? Any scratches or marks?

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

(As a side note.... keep coming back to Jkutrz's pics....that polished barrel looks real nice peeking out of the matte black slide....):D

11. Nope no scratches. I will take some better pics and post them soon. I used a polishing wheel. I know that the glock barrels are not blued but I used a blue remover on it first and it helped remove the black.

image-2561984633.jpg

12. cbk342

cbk342 New Member

I just bought some mothers mag polish gonna try it out tomorrow will that black come off without using blue remover ? The videos I saw on you tube didn't say anything about that

13. cbk342

cbk342 New Member

Just painted my letters... Used silver , probably shoulda went white but the subtle look on it isn't bad....

Before

Attached Files:

14. cbk342

cbk342 New Member

After the letter paint

Attached Files:

15. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

So you polished the whole barrel by hand? What brand blue remover did you use?

16. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

@CBK342:

You may want to post those pics the the "Painted Letter Thread" here: https://www.glockforum.com/forum/f16/painted-letter-thread-lets-see-them-837/

That way, they will be among other Members' pics of painted letters. (That is, if you haven't posted 'em there yet)

Some of them have used Chrome paint instead of silver, and some have used a white paint base coat. Looks awesome.

17. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

I bought a 7 year old G30 and the barrel is showing tons of wear. Is there a way to take back to black or is polishing it the only option?

18. I think you can send it back to glock and they can refinish the barrel in black.

19. Both with a dremel and by hand. Can't remember the name of the blue remover. I got it at a local academy. It didn't help much with the black but it was a lot better then trying to remove it all with a dremel or some people use sand paper but it scratches it. I'll find out the name of the blue remover and let ya know.

20. Tape

Tape New Member

just hit it with sandpaper and you will get a mirror finish if you do it for a couple of hours.