Badges

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by cmiddleton, Apr 3, 2012.

1. cmiddleton

cmiddleton New Member

There are badges out there for sale that say things like:

Armed Citizen

Concealed Handgun Permit

Etc.

I have never bought one because I thought it seemed like someone would look like they were impersonating an officer or just seemed like overkill with an actual license in hand. Not strong opinions. It just wasn't for me.

Recently I learned that one of my coworkers had such a badge.

He told me that he carries it so if he is ever forced into using his gun he can hold it up in the air because police coming on the scene don't shoot people with badges held in the air. secondly, so the public who cant read his badge at distance won't confuse him for a bad guy.

Any thoughts? His argument seems to make sense.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

My badge is my PA LTCF...all I need !!

3. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

In the words of my CCW instructor, "In most states they are illegal, in all states they are stupid" Last thing I'd want is to get arrested for impersonating an officer.

4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I have one, as a novelty, and it is permanently clipped to my gun display case in the living room.

I think they are a bad idea, whether legal or not. The whole concept of having a Concealed weapon is that it is not seen until you need to use it. I understand the reasoning behind the pro-badge crowd, but I do not like the idea that one would intentionally give the police the impression he was anything other than a civilian who acted in self-defense. May even be charged, as already noted, with Impersonating An Officer.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  5. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

With the Martin/Zimmerman tragedy in everybody's mind, the last thing you want to do is start waving a wannabe badge around.

I don't care if you're waving a badge or the American flag. If I'm the first one on the scene, the only thing I'm going to tell you is "put down the gun, take a step away and get down on the ground." And there ain't going to be no room for chit-chat after that.

We'll sort all the other stuff out when the on-duty guys show up, because they'll probably want me on the ground, too.

6. Matthew780

Matthew780 Very Sensitive Guy (^;)

Agreed.

If there were some kind of specialized I.D. one could display to police upon their arrival that wouldn't be confused with that of a police officer... something unique representing training, etc., then I "might" be ok with that. But mostly I feel the way KM does: No matter what the uniform or the badge (they are both a dime a dozen), just drop the gun and get the hell on the ground. Then I'll take my turn at the same when the police get there.

7. Matthew780

I'd like to comment also, that this whole Martin/Zimmerman thing is a perfect example of how the liberal media programs the masses. If you'll notice, a great many anti-gun agenda's are being slyly promoted simply by producing certain mindsets without any real facts. Anti-gun ideologies are promoted before anyone even knows what happened. And as it is always the case, the liberals want American citizens to forfeit their right to protect/defend themselves, through reasoning based on no fact what-so-ever. The liberal media intentionally casts things such as this in a very focused, intentional, anti-gun/anti-defense light.

Need proof you say? A former President is already calling for a repeal of "Stand Your Ground" laws, even though he's well aware that HE has NO IDEA of what happened. If you can't discern the fact that he (and his fellow liberals) has a pre-existing agenda (dis-arming America) prior to Martin/Zimmerman, then I can't help that. But it's as plain as the noses on our faces.

But you have to be aware of their tactics to recognize them. ;)

8. Sarabian

Sarabian Slightly Opinionated

There IS one. It's called your CCW and shouldn't be shown on their arrival, but later when they ask for it.

I'd like to add my agreement that any badge for a CCW, if you decide to get one, should be kept at home permanently as a novelty item and never worn in public. There is legal and there is smart. What may be legal may not be smart.

9. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

Well said. Spoken like a true, seasoned veteran.

10. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

Exactly my thoughts. I like the novelty aspect though. lol

11. Hurricane460

Hurricane460 Glock Doc..

Wanna a badge? Earn it and not buy it. Just my thought...

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Some people get the Concealed Weapon badge....because they rationalize that they have earned the right to have a concealed weapon by getting a CCW/CHL permit.

I still think its a bad idea.

13. Hurricane460

Hurricane460 Glock Doc..

I agree, hence my statement. If they have a CCW then be proud of that but be smart about it as well. Dont do something to loose that privilege. We agree bad idea.

14. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Yes, and bottom line: they call it CONCEALED weapon for a reason. So why decorate with a badge that declares it?

I dunno....

I recommend against it.

15. Matthew780

To my knowledge, a driving license is called a "privilege" in WV. A concealed carry permit is a constitutional "right". Big difference.

Not meaning to cause a stir... Just pointing it out.

I also think "badges" are a bad idea for concealed carry identifications. Our society has been taught that badges belong to sanctioned police officers/security guards. Though I might add, it's not wise to always assume that anyone possessing a badge are either one. Camouflage is a science now-days, and badges can be used as such. That's why the police don't care what you flash when they arrive on the scene.

16. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Yes, having legal sanction to drive is indeed a privilege, as you said Matthew.

But my view is being able to carry concealed is also a privilege (in states that do not regulate concealed carry, the so-called "constitutional carry" states).

2A guarantees our right to keep and bear arms, but makes no mention of concealed carry.

I may be wrong in my view, but I agree 2A guarantees our right to have guns, yet concealed carry is a privilege and is regulated (like a driver's license).

I once met a guy, let me share my observations: he was young (maybe 22-24?), shorter than me but well built, wore black denim jeans, black jumper boots, black shirt with epaulets and buttoned front pockets, had the US flag sewn on the shoulder (don't recall if it was left or right), carried a Springfield XD in a black tactical thigh-down holster (in other words, open carry), and I could see the metal bead lanyard (like of dog tags or LEO badge) going around his neck and into his shirt. He carried a walkie-talkie in an Uncle Mike's black leather radio holster. My impression was this guy is law enforcement of some sort, mirror shaded aviators and all. Then I noticed his car: a beat-up older Honda Civic hatchback (the square kind), most of the car was red, the hood was black, no front license plate (required in Nevada), and lo!...I noticed hanging from his rearview mirror, a gold 7-pointed star like the SO uses , so I think (OK, maybe crappy car, maybe he's undercover, but he is SO).

This was at the firing range, and the guy was not part of our class. He walks up to me on a target break, and asks me about getting a CCW. I tell him that this class is geared towards civilians who want a CCW, and that Reno PD supports a firearms training academy that certifies them and theirs.

He tells me he is not a cop.

I guess my surprise was evident on my face, 'coz he pulls out his pendant-mounted badge around his neck, the same 7-pointed star of the SO, but it says SECURITY on it, and so does the one in his car. He was a bouncer at a club in town. I asked him if the badge was supplied by his employer, it was not. He bought it at the flea market in town.

Talk about wannabes!

17. I have a buddy I ride with that has one of these badges and when he is riding with just a t shirt (stupid) his shirt rides up and you can see his gun and his "badge".

I always thought you're just asking for trouble with these. I could see getting one made special for you for your gun case but thats about it.

18. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

WOW! The stupidity!

Talk about a Loser with a capital-L!

Fake badge, pellet gun, suspended license, even flashing his badge to cops! Woowee!

And all because he wanted to be treated with respect? Don't act like a d-bag, and you will get respect. Respect isn't free, it is earned!

I hope they throw the book at him!

My opinion.