Backup magazine or backup gun: Concealed carry non-LEO

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by CDR_Glock, Jan 13, 2012.

1. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Active Member

Carry a backup magazine. On occasions, I carry a backup gun.

It's best to top off rather than reload and empty gun. I find it would be faster to draw another gun, rather than reload a magazine.

What do you do?

Carry a magazine? Carry a backup gun?

2. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Always a spare magazine, sometimes also a BUG. It just depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing. If I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the car, for instance, and I'm wearing my primary on my hip, I'll put a 2nd gun in a crossdraw holster that's purpose built for that role. It has a leather strap that wraps around my belt and the holster, held in place by velcro, so it's easy to take off when I'm getting out of the car and I still have my primary on, all without having to unholster anything.

3. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

When carrying my G27 I'll have a G23 back up Mag. If I carry my G23 sometimes I'll have my G27 in the center console but either way I always have a back up Mag or 2.

4. magazine. either way is good, but with proper training it is much faster, smoother, and natural to drop and swap magazines then reach, unholster, identify, target, and fire.

5. Glock8856

Glock8856 New Member

I find it difficult to carry two pistol. I usually carry my G19 with 1 extra mag, like to have G17 mag with those two extra rounds. When I carry my G26, always two extra mags.

6. Donn

Donn Member

Extra mags. If I'm carrying my hi-cap, (17rd), 9mm with 1 or 2 extra mags, that better be enough. Besides, if you have to reload or pull a back-up, it's not a personal protection/self defense scenerio any more, it's a fire fight. And you'd better be fighting your way to your long guns.

7. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

I am with Nukin here. I can pull a mag and reload faster than you can grab a second gun. Good practice makes a good performance! Being a non-leo, I try to keep it simple. Less hassle and a second mag helps balance the weight of the gun.

8. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Reloading may be faster, but the problem is when it's not an option, like if your primary gun has a failure or you're in struggle that keeps you from reaching it. Those are times a BUG is important.

The best answer is C) All of the above. :D It's not always practical though.

9. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

Both, extra mag every day and a BUG. I can't see reloading a mag under stress working out too well, however mag changes are part of the practice routine. Speed loaders for the wheel gun help, this I need more practice on.

10. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Your logic is spot on! I can't argue with that. :p