Glock Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carry a backup magazine. On occasions, I carry a backup gun.

It's best to top off rather than reload and empty gun. I find it would be faster to draw another gun, rather than reload a magazine.

What do you do?

Carry a magazine? Carry a backup gun?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Always a spare magazine, sometimes also a BUG. It just depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing. If I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the car, for instance, and I'm wearing my primary on my hip, I'll put a 2nd gun in a crossdraw holster that's purpose built for that role. It has a leather strap that wraps around my belt and the holster, held in place by velcro, so it's easy to take off when I'm getting out of the car and I still have my primary on, all without having to unholster anything.

·
Registered
931 Posts
When carrying my G27 I'll have a G23 back up Mag. If I carry my G23 sometimes I'll have my G27 in the center console but either way I always have a back up Mag or 2.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
magazine. either way is good, but with proper training it is much faster, smoother, and natural to drop and swap magazines then reach, unholster, identify, target, and fire.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I find it difficult to carry two pistol. I usually carry my G19 with 1 extra mag, like to have G17 mag with those two extra rounds. When I carry my G26, always two extra mags.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Extra mags. If I'm carrying my hi-cap, (17rd), 9mm with 1 or 2 extra mags, that better be enough. Besides, if you have to reload or pull a back-up, it's not a personal protection/self defense scenerio any more, it's a fire fight. And you'd better be fighting your way to your long guns.

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
magazine. either way is good, but with proper training it is much faster, smoother, and natural to drop and swap magazines then reach, unholster, identify, target, and fire.
I am with Nukin here. I can pull a mag and reload faster than you can grab a second gun. Good practice makes a good performance! Being a non-leo, I try to keep it simple. Less hassle and a second mag helps balance the weight of the gun.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Reloading may be faster, but the problem is when it's not an option, like if your primary gun has a failure or you're in struggle that keeps you from reaching it. Those are times a BUG is important.

The best answer is C) All of the above. :D It's not always practical though.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Both, extra mag every day and a BUG. I can't see reloading a mag under stress working out too well, however mag changes are part of the practice routine. Speed loaders for the wheel gun help, this I need more practice on.

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
....Those are times a BUG is important.

The best answer is C) All of the above. :D It's not always practical though.
Your logic is spot on! I can't argue with that. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts