Athletic Holster

Discussion in 'Holsters and Cases' started by Dan75719, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

Can anyone recommend a good holster for a G19 that is good for athletic wear? I have a Galco KingTuk that I use with jeans or dress pants, but it is too heavy for windbreaker pants or other athletic clothing. I hate not being able to carry when I am on my way to play sports or work out. I am considering getting a G26 to carry in these conditions since it is smaller and a little lighter. Any good athletic holsters for the 26 also?

2. Pistol Wear

www.pistolwear.com

I've used one about 4 days a week for over a year now. It's still working well. Still doesn't smell either.

3. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Something may be coming up on the Pay it forward..... Hint.:cool:

4. runman

runman New Member

Foot tapping. Waiting, waiting...

5. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

That would be awesome but I have not quite been here a month yet.

6. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Belly bands are good, just make sure it's got retention...ask me how I know that's important. ;)

Good thing...the original Belly Band, along with most of the knock offs, can be had for ~$20. eBay.

7. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Just remember you guys are fit! Dutch-s is 53 yrs. old 5 ft. 10 and 225lbs. This may be a large??

8. runman

runman New Member

Ok, have to hear the story. How do you know retention is so important?

9. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

I like the looks of the Pistol wear PT1 and PT2 over the Thunderwear, not a big fan of having something hitting me down there.

I am going to show this to the wife and see what she thinks for her carry gun.

10. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

*Sigh* Ok, so I was going from physical therapy to a doctor's appt and didn't have time to change. When I got done with PT, I ducked into the restroom and put the belly band on, with my Walther PPS. Concealed very well with gym shorts and a t-shirt.

So, I get to the doctor's office and we get to the hop up on the table, so he can listen to my heart & lungs. Now, 90% of my doctors just listen through my shirt. This one, however, pulls my shirt up. I knew he did that, but the thought never crossed my mind until I realized he had hold of the bottom of the back of my t-shirt, at which point my hand flew back towards my gun...but I wasn't quick enough. :eek:

He yanks my shirt up; it catches the butt of the PPS, stripping it from the bellyband and depositing in the floor of the exam room. The doctor freaks out, stammering "I didn't know you had a gun there" and how he hoped it was safe. I calmly reassured him and picked it up. Stuck it under my thigh until he was done and left the room.

I can confirm that the drop safety on the Walther PPS works.

Normally, when I'm going to the doctor, I either pocket carry, ankle carry, or leave it in the car. Depends on what I'm carrying and how I'm dressed. That was the one and only time it was an issue. Lesson learned!

Of course, now I go to the VA for everything, where I am not, technically, even supposed to have it in the car...

11. runman

runman New Member

Alright, great story! Doctor probably came close to needing a doctor himself. Lesson Learned - thanks for sharing.

12. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

Wow, I am sure he needed to change his shorts after that.:) +1 for the PPS drop test.

I was walking up from my shop to my house late one night after a 14 hour day when my German Sheppard tackled me playing her version of tag. The security light in the pasture had burned out earlier that week and there was no moon out so it was totally dark. I never saw her coming at me, she jumps up and hits me with her front paws in the chest and knocks me flat on my back on the concrete drive to the basement of my house. My Glock was holstered in a cheap IWB nylon holster and went flying down the driveway as I rolled around on the ground with 100 lbs. of dog on my chest. I too can testify to passing the drop test (thank God) as I carry with one in the pipe.

13. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

German Shepherd tackling on concrete = OUCH! My GSD, when he was still young, stubborn and impetuous, AKA about 18 months, didn't wait for me to open the back door or for me to clear the front door before coming out one afternoon. He hit the back of both knees and was past me before I hit the ground, flat on my back. I was so mad, mostly because he knew better, but also because I was recovering from a back injury. He never did that again and I never got out of the car without a 'wait' or 'stay' command. 14 years later, and I still don't. Different dog now though. This one's much more patient, though she has from day one and still does, get in the back and walks straight through, front feet on my center console, and then backs up when I get in. The first time put her in my old car, which was the day I got her, she walked straight through and about put her nose on the windshield. :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012