Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 899 Posts

· Super Moderator
58,810 Posts
Parkland students announce gun control plan, aim to halve gun violence rate in 10 years

11:22 am EDT Aug. 21, 2019

WASHINGTON – On Wednesday morning, March for Our Lives, the gun control movement started by student survivors of last year's school shooting that left 17 students and faculty dead in February 2018 in Parkland, Florida, announced a package of gun control measures.

The package, called a "Peace Plan for a Safer America," presents a six-part plan to address "the deadly epidemic of gun violence."

The comprehensive gun control plan would aim to "halve the rate of gun deaths in 10 years" by passing national gun control legislation, starting FEC and IRS investigations into the National Rifle Association, and appointing a National Director of Gun Violence Prevention, among other provisions.

The plan aimed to mobilize young Americans by calling for the creation of a "Peace Corps for gun violence prevention," and automatically registering and mailing voter registration cards to all Americans when they turn 18.

"A Green New Deal, but for guns," quipped March for Our Lives co-founder Jaclyn Corin.

"Policymakers have failed, so survivors are stepping up," wrote March for Our Lives co-founder David Hogg on Twitter. "We’re not just fighting against the status quo, we’re fighting for real change, for justice, for peace."

"We need leaders – in the White House, in Congress, and on the Supreme Court – who care about the future of our children and our nation. We call on every Presidential candidate for the 2020 election to endorse our Peace Plan for a Safer America," the group wrote in the plan.

President Donald Trump has signaled he would back away from supporting enhanced background checks for firearm sales despite previous statements indicating some support for background check measures.

"The next President must act with a fierce urgency to call this crisis what it is: a national public health emergency," they added.

Former Rep. Beto O'Rourke, D-Texas, wrote on Twitter, "I support their Peace Plan For A Safer America—and I call on everyone else in this race to do the same."
I support giving Peace a chance.
I support licensed concealed carry.
I support increased training for licensed concealed carry.
I support raising the minimum age to 21 with the exception of honorably discharged vets.
I support enhanced background checks for non-licensed concealed carry.
I support a 10 day waiting period for non-licensed concealed carry.
I support armed teachers in school.

· Super Moderator
58,810 Posts
Sounds like a step away from re-education camps!

What does an assault on all fronts against a rights organization do to stop gun violence?

Wonder who comes up with all these kids ideas and money?
Meadow Pollack's Father has it right. He was originally not a supporter of 2A rights. But, after the Parkland shooting and the death of his daughter, he is now a huge supporter of putting guns in the hands of "trained" citizens to protect our youth.

· Super Moderator
58,810 Posts
Fair enough :).
So basically they are "for guns" if some restrictions are placed....but have no interest and nothing to lose.

Some folks I have worked with are "for" semi auto pistols and claim people have the right to protect themselves because of 2A, but feel that no one needs a AR to protect themselves or their family. "All you really need is just one gun".
All I need is the one in my hand when I need one.

· Super Moderator
58,810 Posts
Retired U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens published an op-ed in the New York Times suggesting that the solution to America’s gun problem is simple–repeal the Second Amendment.

Stevens argues that the amendment is a “relic of the 18th century,” saying the court screwed up in its 2008 decision in District of Columbia v. Heller. The decision overruled prior law and held that the Second Amendment meant individuals have an inherent right to own guns for lawful purposes. Per Stevens, the ruling handed the NRA a “propaganda weapon of immense power” and has been extended to defend the private ownership of assault rifles like the AR-15.

According to Stevens, Heller should be overturned via a constitutional amendment to get rid of the Second Amendment. How unlikely is that? Throughout its history, the United States has only repealed one amendment–the puritanical and useless 18th Amendment, which prohibited alcohol. That amendment was repealed through ratification of the 21st Amendment.

Here’s how the process works, according to the National Archives.

• A proposed amendment to the Constitution must first be passed by Congress with two-thirds majorities in both the House and the Senate.
  • Then, three-fourths of the states must ratify the amendment. That’s done either through getting the state legislatures to approve of it or by ratifying conventions. Three-fourths is a high bar–if as few as 13 states refuse to approve the change, the amendment stalls. Considering how many states are considered gun-friendly in this new Zippia survey, it’s unlikely that the amendment would survive.
  • The other option for repealing the Second Amendment is more radical: Calling for a Constitutional Convention under Article V of the Constitution (a.k.a. an “Article V convention“). If two-thirds of the state legislatures call for a new convention, they could convene delegations and start drafting new amendments. It’s understandably a controversial idea, but arguably could be a way to repeal the Second Amendment.
Repealing an amendment of our beloved Constitution sounds extreme, but some 70% of Americans want more gun control and repealing the Second Amendment–and overturning Heller–may be the most effective way to achieve that.

· Super Moderator
58,810 Posts
Convicted felons lose many of their rights...voting. But we want to handcuff millions of gun owners.
DISAGREED!!!
1) Convicted felons can vote in most circumstances
2) Most do not want to handcuff millions of gun owners

Most people FEAR for the safety of their children in schools. That is what this is all about.

FEAR!!!

I see FEAR in this thread, the FEAR of 2A rights going away and the FEAR of the consequences of those rights being removed.

I see FEAR in the public outrage of their children being murdered in schools.

FEAR is the culprit here.

There is a compromise. It will cost more in public school taxes. I have no child in this debate but I am willing to pay more in public school taxes to arm teachers and full time in-school police officers to put an end to the FEAR.

1 - 20 of 899 Posts