Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 5604 Posts

· Glockin’ since 1993
50,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parkland students announce gun control plan, aim to halve gun violence rate in 10 years

11:22 am EDT Aug. 21, 2019

WASHINGTON – On Wednesday morning, March for Our Lives, the gun control movement started by student survivors of last year's school shooting that left 17 students and faculty dead in February 2018 in Parkland, Florida, announced a package of gun control measures.

The package, called a "Peace Plan for a Safer America," presents a six-part plan to address "the deadly epidemic of gun violence."

The comprehensive gun control plan would aim to "halve the rate of gun deaths in 10 years" by passing national gun control legislation, starting FEC and IRS investigations into the National Rifle Association, and appointing a National Director of Gun Violence Prevention, among other provisions.

The plan aimed to mobilize young Americans by calling for the creation of a "Peace Corps for gun violence prevention," and automatically registering and mailing voter registration cards to all Americans when they turn 18.

"A Green New Deal, but for guns," quipped March for Our Lives co-founder Jaclyn Corin.

"Policymakers have failed, so survivors are stepping up," wrote March for Our Lives co-founder David Hogg on Twitter. "We’re not just fighting against the status quo, we’re fighting for real change, for justice, for peace."

"We need leaders – in the White House, in Congress, and on the Supreme Court – who care about the future of our children and our nation. We call on every Presidential candidate for the 2020 election to endorse our Peace Plan for a Safer America," the group wrote in the plan.

President Donald Trump has signaled he would back away from supporting enhanced background checks for firearm sales despite previous statements indicating some support for background check measures.

"The next President must act with a fierce urgency to call this crisis what it is: a national public health emergency," they added.

Former Rep. Beto O'Rourke, D-Texas, wrote on Twitter, "I support their Peace Plan For A Safer America—and I call on everyone else in this race to do the same."

· Super Moderator
58,072 Posts
Parkland students announce gun control plan, aim to halve gun violence rate in 10 years

11:22 am EDT Aug. 21, 2019

WASHINGTON – On Wednesday morning, March for Our Lives, the gun control movement started by student survivors of last year's school shooting that left 17 students and faculty dead in February 2018 in Parkland, Florida, announced a package of gun control measures.

The package, called a "Peace Plan for a Safer America," presents a six-part plan to address "the deadly epidemic of gun violence."

The comprehensive gun control plan would aim to "halve the rate of gun deaths in 10 years" by passing national gun control legislation, starting FEC and IRS investigations into the National Rifle Association, and appointing a National Director of Gun Violence Prevention, among other provisions.

The plan aimed to mobilize young Americans by calling for the creation of a "Peace Corps for gun violence prevention," and automatically registering and mailing voter registration cards to all Americans when they turn 18.

"A Green New Deal, but for guns," quipped March for Our Lives co-founder Jaclyn Corin.

"Policymakers have failed, so survivors are stepping up," wrote March for Our Lives co-founder David Hogg on Twitter. "We’re not just fighting against the status quo, we’re fighting for real change, for justice, for peace."

"We need leaders – in the White House, in Congress, and on the Supreme Court – who care about the future of our children and our nation. We call on every Presidential candidate for the 2020 election to endorse our Peace Plan for a Safer America," the group wrote in the plan.

President Donald Trump has signaled he would back away from supporting enhanced background checks for firearm sales despite previous statements indicating some support for background check measures.

"The next President must act with a fierce urgency to call this crisis what it is: a national public health emergency," they added.

Former Rep. Beto O'Rourke, D-Texas, wrote on Twitter, "I support their Peace Plan For A Safer America—and I call on everyone else in this race to do the same."
I support giving Peace a chance.
I support licensed concealed carry.
I support increased training for licensed concealed carry.
I support raising the minimum age to 21 with the exception of honorably discharged vets.
I support enhanced background checks for non-licensed concealed carry.
I support a 10 day waiting period for non-licensed concealed carry.
I support armed teachers in school.

· Super Moderator
58,072 Posts
Sounds like a step away from re-education camps!

What does an assault on all fronts against a rights organization do to stop gun violence?

Wonder who comes up with all these kids ideas and money?
Meadow Pollack's Father has it right. He was originally not a supporter of 2A rights. But, after the Parkland shooting and the death of his daughter, he is now a huge supporter of putting guns in the hands of "trained" citizens to protect our youth.

· Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Meadow Pollack's Father has it right. He was originally not a supporter of 2A rights. But, after the Parkland shooting and the death of his daughter, he is now a huge supporter of putting guns in the hands of "trained" citizens to protect our youth.
Education and training are key. ;) :D

Best regards,

Bob

· Glockin’ since 1993
50,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I support giving Peace a chance.
I support licensed concealed carry.
I support increased training for licensed concealed carry.
I support raising the minimum age to 21 with the exception of honorably discharged vets.
I support enhanced background checks for non-licensed concealed carry.
I support a 10 day waiting period for non-licensed concealed carry.
I support armed teachers in school.
I used to support enhanced background checks but I don’t now. Why? Because I see it as another step towards gun grabbers ultimate aim for gun confiscation.
Every time we concede to their “common sense” gun control it’s never enough and we need to give in to their next piece of legislation.
Gun grabbers embrace the death by a thousand cuts strategy.

· Premium Member
3,681 Posts
I used to support enhanced background checks but I don’t now. Why? Because I see it as another step towards gun grabbers ultimate aim for gun confiscation.
Every time we concede to their “common sense” gun control it’s never enough and we need to give in to their next piece of legislation.
Gun grabbers embrace the death by a thousand cuts strategy.
I understand... but consider these counterpoints.

'Background checks' for private citizens is nothing new. For years, private businesses have required 'passing a background check' as a condition of employment... even for 'entry level' positions.

And, supporting 'common sense' simply aligns us with 'moderate' Americans and, in my opinion, actually helps our position against more extreme gun control measures.

By my perception, we need centrist Americans on our side to help us fight the 'gun grabbers'.

But that's just me. :rolleyes: :D

Best regards,

Bob

· Banned
869 Posts

'Background checks' for private citizens is nothing new. For years, private businesses have required 'passing a background check' as a condition of employment... even for 'entry level' positions.

And, supporting 'common sense' simply aligns us with 'moderate' Americans and, in my opinion, actually helps our position against more extreme gun control measures.

By my perception, we need centrist Americans on our side to help us fight the 'gun grabbers'.

Best regards,

Bob
I have to completely agree with you on that. I think there are some things that really make sense and are acceptable to those who are law abiding and rational about guns. And background checks are the major thing that always comes up from the libs regarding gun control. I see no reason to object to this and it probably keeps many moderates from supporting conservative candidates.

I am not real happy with the "red flag" laws that are being discussed until I see the actual proposals and implementation. I'm not against keeping guns away from "goofballs" but I'm a little bit concerned about how those people are identified and by whom? Too many people willing to throw out accusations for lots of reasons to have this action taken. Think of all of the cases of domestic crimes that could turn in to red flag alerts. I think domestic calls are the number one that our police forces deal with on a daily basis anyway, and every one of these where people own guns could become a red flag alert.

· Premium Member
3,681 Posts
I'm not against keeping guns away from "goofballs" but I'm a little bit concerned about how those people are identified and by whom?
Me, too!

Best regards,

Bob

· Glockin’ since 1993
50,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

Best regards,

Bob
At the same time Democrats are fighting to stop businesses from using criminal histories as a disqualification for employment. Their new push to make felons eligible voters.

The left is controlling the media and speech. The NRA backed Trump’s bump stock ban. What did he gain with that? Absolutely nothing. The NRA? Well they are being labeled a terrorist organization.

The left has even started up some “gun owner” gun safety groups posing as moderate gun groups.

Any moderation and concessions haven’t lead to any pro-gun legislation. In fact Trump floated the idea of outlawing and confiscation of silencers/suppressors. Not hard to do being they are all federally registered.

Politicians have increasingly demanded a new NFA classification for “assault weapons”. Why do you think that is?
Outerwear Fixture Door Sleeve Workwear
Font Number Document Electric blue Parallel

· Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Why do you think that is?
It appears to me that the far right and the far left are dominating the power struggle.

My hope is that 'middle America' will finally tire of the 'crap' and elect 'moderate' politicians.

Yeah, I know... "Good luck with THAT!!!" :rolleyes: :D

But I can hope. :)

Best regards,

Bob

· Banned
869 Posts
Politicians have increasingly demanded a new NFA classification for “assault weapons”. Why do you think that is?
The problem with that is that most of them and a huge percentage of the population think anything remotely shaped like and AR-15 with a magazine out the bottom are assault weapons. And they will continue to push that until basically all semi-automatic rifles (and then next is pistols) are outlawed. They don't distinguish between semi-automatic and automatic assault weapons.

· Glockin’ since 1993
50,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to completely agree with you on that. I think there are some things that really make sense and are acceptable to those who are law abiding and rational about guns. And background checks are the major thing that always comes up from the libs regarding gun control. I see no reason to object to this and it probably keeps many moderates from supporting conservative candidates.

I am not real happy with the "red flag" laws that are being discussed until I see the actual proposals and implementation. I'm not against keeping guns away from "goofballs" but I'm a little bit concerned about how those people are identified and by whom? Too many people willing to throw out accusations for lots of reasons to have this action taken. Think of all of the cases of domestic crimes that could turn in to red flag alerts. I think domestic calls are the number one that our police forces deal with on a daily basis anyway, and every one of these where people own guns could become a red flag alert.
I used to be a police officer. In cases of mental health or domestics we would confiscate firearms temporarily to prevent possible issues. We would release the guns back after a day or two. We were never challenged and looking back not sure what we would do if denied. If we had a serious situation we could get a warrant and seize weapons.
The new red flag laws are a way to circumvent due process in a number of instances.
I know a lot of vets that refuse medical services for fear they’ll be labeled PTSD or some other mental condition. They know at some point in the future that’ll probably be a disqualifier for firearm ownership.
A lot of people plead out to misdemeanor domestic charges thinking nothing of it many years ago. How many thousands had their 2A right stripped for something they felt was inconsequential and the easy way out so many years ago?

· Glockin’ since 1993
50,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why do they only care about half of the future victims of gun violence? Why wouldn't they just go all out and prevent 100% of the deaths. It tells me they really don't care about people.

But in reality, they could't stop anyone from doing anything... just a bunch of snake oil salesmen that hate America.
The law abiding will have to answer and defend themselves from the illegal use of firearms by criminals. Therefore only we will be affected by new laws.

· Glockin’ since 1993
50,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It appears to me that the far right and the far left are dominating the power struggle.

My hope is that 'middle America' will finally tire of the 'crap' and elect 'moderate' politicians.

Yeah, I know... "Good luck with THAT!!!" :rolleyes: :D

But I can hope. :)

Best regards,

Bob
We used to be the silent majority. Problem is our loud and proud left has taken over the debate and is being catered to. Look at the Democrat debates. All their “main stream proposals” would have been considered lunatic fringe less than a decade ago.

· Banned
869 Posts
But as long as there is the "gun-show loophole" for background checks they will keep throwing that out as a major contributor to people owning guns that should not and like its 90% of the guns out there.

It's actually a very, very small part of the guns that are sold in the US. But it's a kind of indefensible position that they will continue to use to gain support from the uneducated and ill informed population. So, I say let that go and then stop that silly argument from the libs.

And people that want to buy guns from other than dealers at gun shows will have to submit to a background check. So, what's the big deal about that ?

· Premium Member
3,681 Posts
We used to be the silent majority. Problem is our loud and proud left has taken over the debate and is being catered to. Look at the Democrat debates. All their “main stream proposals” would have been considered lunatic fringe less than a decade ago.
Yep! I agree.

And, your concerns voiced in previous posts are indeed valid... I share them.

That said, in my opinion, the eventual 'winner' of the power struggle will be the side that more closely aligns itself with middle America... and I truly hope that the 'pro-gunners' figure that out before the 'anti-gunners' do... or we'll lose 'big time'.

Just sayin'... :(

Best regards,

Bob

· Banned
869 Posts
Yep! I agree.

And, your concerns voiced in previous posts are indeed valid... I share them.

That said, in my opinion, the eventual 'winner' of the power struggle will be the side that more closely aligns itself with middle America... and I truly hope that the 'pro-gunners' figure that out before the 'anti-gunners' do... or we'll lose 'big time'.

Just sayin'... :(

Best regards,

Bob
Bob, I feel like you and I are pretty much aligned in our thinking.

· Glockin’ since 1993
50,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would not trust the party that brought us Christine Balsey Ford, to do ONE SINGLE THING IN GOOD FAITH. Democrats have no intention of doing one good thing for this country, not even for their own constituents. So no way am I going to support any bipartisan bullcrap universal background checks or red flag law.

It's bad enough we have to watch our backs now from Republicans like Rick Scott. He made it illegal in his state for some 18 year old who lives in an apartment with 3 other roommates to buy a shotgun to defend their apartment/home. I get the handgun restrictions on under 21, but I still believe that is unconstitutional. If you're an adult and allowed to live on your own, you have the right to defend your apartment/home in the city or the hills with a shotgun or handgun. These age restrictions do not disqualify devious degenerates that happen to be 21 or older with a clean record simply because they have never been caught.

So an arbitrary age limit is what separates a 18-20 year old who could have a job and small apartment/home with a young wife and baby, from a degenerate pissed off loser who does nothing for society.... just cause they are 21 or older. And if anyone thinks a young family with an 18 year old dad is some rarity, you have not spent much time in the south... especially Louisiana.

The problem is nothing is CASE BY CASE anymore. And if they are not going to do things case by case, then I'd rather the constitution benefit the law abiding. I don't carry to protect myself from law abiding citizens 21 years and up. I carry to protect myself from degenerates of all ages.
Think of this. If a fighting age male was barred from firearm ownership because a property owner or even other occupant of the residence protested firearm on grounds how could or would we have fought a revolution much less an invasion?

1 - 20 of 5604 Posts