Are You Too Stupid for Concealed Carry?

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by Amsdorf, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

I really enjoy "The Truth About Guns" web site, they even post articles by me from time to time.

Link to article.

2. SteveC

SteveC New Member

Excellent piece. I occasionally help out a friend with his handgun classes and all too often it's clear people have not really thought about the implications of being armed. They grossly underestimate what it takes to be competent with a firearm and figure they're good to go after a few hours in the classroom and maybe 100 rounds down range in a very limited set of shooting demands. If they got into a situation, 9 out of 10 would be lucky to get their weapon out of the holster. IF they practice at all, it's standing in front of a stationary target at 20 feet. Ethics? Obligations? What are those?

I'd love to see your piece included in CC classes. Thanks for posting it.

3. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

I see you have your opinion on the subject, bias as it is. :confused: And that is my opinion as well a decision to carefully screen your post in the future. Don't take that as an attack on you or your abilities; it is just a god given right I intend to evoke.

Personally, I plan to stop the threat, god forbid I ever have to take another life.

I guess this is proof that without the 2nd amendment, we won't have the 1st. Plenty of that going on there too as it looks many people object to the ideas in the article as well.

4. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

5. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

I have an acquaintance who's fighting with the state for his carry permit because they denied him due to several drunken incidents in which the police were involved. Too be honest I'm glad he can't get it. He also considers the Kel-tec PMR 30 as the ultimate self-defense carry piece.

6. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

Great article, except if you're too stupid to carry a weapon you would more than likely be too stupid to comprehend the article and realize that you're too stupid to do so ;) haha.

7. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

:cool: Too true :cool:

8. butcherboy

butcherboy New Member

Great article. It's true some people are too stupid to carry a weapon, too stupid to drive a car, and just too stupid to have a clue.

9. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

And some of those same people that are prob. breeding right now ... :eek:

10. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Have you ever seen the movie "Idiocracy"? It's a mediocre comedy starting Luke Wilson.

First 10 minutes are worth the $1 Redbox rental.

It explains the whole smart people vs stupid people breeding.

D

11. Awesome movie!! Everyone should watch it. I told people at work all the time that I was living in idiocracy land!

12. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

That is a great movie! Definitely a must see.

13. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Here is the whole article:

I wrote this essay the other day and thought I'd pass it along here for discussion. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Let’s face it, aside from owning the right gun and gear, not everyone is equipped to carry a concealed weapon. With the boom in firearm ownership in recent years, there are a lot of new gun owners. And plenty of first-timers seem to have picked up that first gun as an impulse buy, apparently thinking, “Hey, I’m going to buy me a gun and carry it!” Their friends pack heat so how hard can it really be, right? If you’re too stupid to think through some really important questions before you start carrying, you have no business walking around with a concealed weapon. You need to stop to consider that . . .

There are legal, ethical, moral and competency implications whenever you strap on a firearm. Here are just some of the things you need to be aware of:

Legal Implications

If you carry a gun, you need to be prepared to accept the legal consequences, whatever they may be. Are you willing to go through the trouble and expense – both financially and emotionally – of being arrested, charged and tried if you have to use your firearm? If not, leave the heater at home. Can you deal with whatever might come your way when it comes to encounters with law enforcement officials who may or may not understand and respect your state and local carry laws? If not, don’t carry.

Ethical Implications

When you take on the responsibility of being an armed citizen, you also assume a greater level of ethical responsibility for every aspect of your behavior while packing. You don’t pick fights. You don’t respond to aggressive comments or gestures by going for your gat. You never go looking for trouble. You don’t – ever – drink while armed. And you never brandish it or joke around about carrying concealed. Concealed means concealed…in every possible sense. If you can’t conceal it, do not tote it. You aren’t trying to impress anyone by carrying. Your ethical posture hasto be above reproach when carrying.

Moral Implications

Are you mentally prepared to actually shoot and kill somebody? If not, the gun should stay in your safe. If you think you are just going to pull the gun out and wave it around to scare somebody off, don’t carry. If you think you can “shoot to wound,” you have another thing coming.

If the gun comes out of its holster, you must already have decided to kill somebody. Period. There is no middle ground. Can you do that? Have you thought long and hard about what that means? Are you willing to see what a bullet will do to a human body? People don’t always just fall over dead like in the movies. You have to prepare yourself for the emotional trauma of gravely wounding or killing another human being.

Competency Implications

If you are going to carry a concealed weapon, you need to be rigorous about safe, competent gun handling. Your heater is always loaded – or it better be. That means you must never ever, under any circumstance, draw it while carrying unless you’re truly in a life or death situation.

You do not pull it out to show to your buddies. You never cover anyone with the muzzle. Your finger should be indexed. You simply do not “play around” with your concealed firearm. It goes in the holster and never comes out, unless absolutely necessary.

And you need to be fully trained in the use of your firearm. Find a competent instructor and take a class. Better yet, take several classes. Just as if you want to get to Carnegie hall, you need to practice, practice and practice some more. You owe it to yourself to get in as much range time with your carry gun as you possibly can. If you aren’t willing to master all aspects of handling your concealed carry firearm, don’t strap it on.

Are you too stupid to handle all of this? Most likely not. But these are just some of the things you will need to consider before you take on the responsibility of concealed carry. Yes, it’s your right, but you need to exercise that right legally, ethically, morally and competently or you’ll hurt the cause of those that do. Got it?

14. lonnylong

lonnylong New Member

You hit the target dead on with your essay.

15. If you really have a brain and use it to think, all of these things are common sense, but unfortunately most people don't have common sense.

And Idiocracy is hilarious! haha

16. Blaze

Blaze Active Member Supporter

What's wrong with pulling out ur piece and safety checking it and showing ur buddies?? I show mine if they ask so they will buy one.. God gave most of us normal ppl a brain it's just our responsibility how we use it.. A article won't solve anything when 90% of ppl don't read

17. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Looks like a well written article to me Amsdorf. I would say the purpose,and correct me if I am wrong, is for those who do read and have got a decent brain that are considering carry or already do and don't know why? I would say IMHO that those who read it may see things a little different than I HAVE A GUN DON"T MESS WITH ME, and if this helps one person be responsible when they carry it has served it's purpose. For those who are responsible it is a welcome reminder, for those who are new it is a great bunch of tips to learn from, and for those who are not responsible, plan on going to jail someday . Thanks for your consideration and service to the new folks and public in general.

18. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Thanks for the feedback, I've rewritten it based on great input/feedback I've received from a lot of people and reposted it on this forum.