Glock Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very interesting question & want the knowledge of someone in law.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
I'm not specifically an LEO (I deal in federal fugitives nationwide) but I work very closely with them and 99% of my family is so I can try and help also.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. Say a felon is released from prison & has to live with family who are responsible gun owners & perfect citizens. In a home invasion, someone busts in and shoots at will. The felon is the only person near the firearms at this time. Does the felon get the firearm & defend his & his family's life, or obey the laws set for him & everyone dies but the invader? This is not real just a thought that's racking my brain lol. I'm not a felon either.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
The legal answer is the felon goes to jail for using a firearm and the homeowners go to jail for having firearms in a home where a known felon is living.

The real world answer is post bail and get a good lawyer.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! I think America is becoming a 3rd world country

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm sure it's different in every state, but felons can be in the same home in Oregon and Oregon has a "lesser of two evils" law IRRC that would allow a felon to defend life with a deadly weapon.

Firearms are required to be out of control of the felon in the home, not removed from home.

PS> not LEO, just read law a little

·
Registered
12 Posts
In Ga. a felon can live in a home with firearms. They must be kept in "Private areas" he normally does not enter. Example, the home owners bedroom or closet, a locked storage area, etc..

In example asked about. He would be arrested. Probably not tried or looking at jail time. Would be up to local DA.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
Just as with all criminal law it varies from state to state.

In IL a felon can live in a home where there are firearms; the home owner or immediate family member has to have an FOID :mad: , and the felon can't have access to the firearms i.e. they have to be locked up.

·
Premium Member
8,653 Posts
Plus, there's always the old 'tried by twelve or carried by six' hope of salvation.

Some states even allow felons to be around guns. I think in PA there's a distinction between violent felons and non-violent.

I'm not familiar with the exact law, so if someone from PA would care to comment, I'd sure appreciate it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts