Glock Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone are the tabs on the glock magazines there for a purpose? I have a few mags where they are wore down from removing the base plate. The button on the base plate is the only thing thats held the base plate in place on other pistols ive had but glock has the tabs on each side. Why are they there? Seems like the the spring pushing on the base plate is enough to secure it especially with a loaded mag

Registered
You may get a lot of opinions.馃ぃ
Some people insist that the two small tabs hold the baseplate on the magazine, especially the middle one. After all, that's how Glock made them.
Conversely, I've known people who experience no problems without the tabs.

My own opinion is that I personally wouldn't use a tabless mag in my carry gun. I'd just buy a new mag. Not that expensive.

If you have no problems, use it on the range, or for non-fire training, etc.

Registered
I tired of a the contortions to disassemble Glock magazines till I used one of these, now it's simple.

Premium Member
in the beginning of time, Glock mags only had the tabs, and not the button thru the bottom. There is a technique to removing floor plates, and I've never ever used a tool. Hold the floor plate against a sharp 90 degree block of wood and push in on the button, it will pop off.

Registered
Slight pressure on the sides of the magazine using channel lock pliers or vise grips makes the base plate come off much easier. I also put a piece or 2 of gorilla tape on the jaws to keep from scratching the magazine.

Premium Member
Slight pressure on the sides of the magazine using channel lock pliers or vise grips makes the base plate come off much easier. I also put a piece or 2 of gorilla tape on the jaws to keep from scratching the magazine.
They make them with smooth jaws, I thought. At that point you might as well by a specialized tool though.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can barely squeeze my glock 43x mags with pliers, it still doesnt clear the tabs. Already marked the hell out of one and wrestled with it to get the plate off. Bought a new oem mag at my lgs, guess its time to buy a tool. Ill rotate the new mag into my edc and keep the other two for the range

Registered
They are a pain but frankly how many times have I cleaned a magazine??? Once in a blue moon. I don't remove them personally and consider the fact that I have shot them since 1994 and never had a magazine plate fall off I would say they are fine to be there. I just don't modify them myself. I use a vise or pair of pliers when I have put on extended magazine bases. I use a lot of tape on the sides so I don't blemish them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts