AR15 Handguards!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by savage07, Apr 2, 2012.

1. savage07

savage07 New Member

UTG or Magpul Handguard for an AR15 carbine? Have anyone had any experience with this two different type of Handguards?

2. Boracay

Boracay ʎ ɐ ɔ ɐ ᴚ o

UTG Synthetic or UTG Quadrails?

If I am planning to add to accessories to my Ar15, I 'll get the UTG.

If I want a simple replacement to my stock handguards, no plans of adding some accessories, definitely I would get the Magpul. :)

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

^^^---- what he said.

I have and love using Magpul (poly) handguards in carbine lengths, but a lot of my buyers request quad-rails, which are useful only if they plan on putting accessories on it.

The Magpul handguard design is loosely based on the original Badger handguard design (trapezoidal cross-section) which in turn is based on the original Dragunov sniper rifle's stock handguard design. I like the feel of it (the Magpuls), it is comfortable.

4. savage07

savage07 New Member

I'm agree with you. The UTG looks solid and heavy duty, it's looks badass! But it's seems a lil heavy alone and if I add more gear to it I would put more weight on the weapon, something I rather not do. Magpul in the contrary looks more comfortable and light weight and it's also looks nice maybe not to heavy duty as the UTG. Do you guys think Magpul material is tuff and durable?

5. savage07

savage07 New Member

UTG Quad rails.

6. [​IMG]

Magpul and UTG aren't the only games in town, but they are probably a little less expensive. I picked up Midwest free float handguard. you can throw a ton of rails on if you want, and they are easier to run than almost every other handguard on the market with this feature, and they are super lightweight and it has a little smaller diameter than alot of free floats

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I put a NcStar aluminum 2-piece quad rail on my lastest build, and at first it felt awkward (with the rails, it is wider than it is tall), but the grip was positive and felt good shooting.

$50 or so on eBay! :)

Attached Files:

8. savage07

savage07 New Member

Nice quad rail, It's looks badass!!! Do you feel a weight difference at the range?

9. savage07

savage07 New Member

And this is a nice price!!!

10. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

UTG makes a good entry level product. Their quad rails are a bit heavy.

I've not used the Magpul poly's on my own ARs, but I have put them on for others, and have shot a few ARs with them installed. They seem pretty solid, and I've not heard any complaints from owners.

11. savage07

savage07 New Member

Man I think I'm going to get the Magpul, for some reason its looks more comfortable, light weight, and simple for me. And I still can add a couple of up grades on. Even though UTG looks like a good product also. I'll post some pic of what I get...

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Honestly, no, because it is a heavy barrel profile, plus the HG is aluminum. 2-piece, works with round or triangular HG cups, and has 6 hex screws to tighten it down, very secure. As insurance against loosening from repeated recoil shock, I put permatex (same as Loctite) thread locker blue on the 6 hex screws.

Here's my daughters' M4 with Magpul HG (I still prefer these over stock oval handguards, very comfortable, and holes at 12-, 2-, 6-, 10-o'clock postions so a short Picatinny rail can be attached for accessories, rail adapters sold separately, though)....

Attached Files:

13. savage07

savage07 New Member

It looks nice!!!

14. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Thanks, Savage!

It's my daughters' M4, and I stopped short of getting it in pink (her favorite color)!

15. EvilD

EvilD New Member

I have a MAgpul MOE on my Carbine and a YAnkee Hill Free Float on my rifle, I have no preference. You might want to look at the half rails also.

16. savage07

savage07 New Member

Ok, I know I said I will get the Magpul Handguard but I ended up getting the UTG!! Lol! Plus I got the magazine grip, a pistol grip, a red dot scope, and a Magpul magazine that for some reason it's fit tight and when I press the realize bottom I have to pull it out, I don't know if this is normal for this type of mag. Im gonna have to call the company to ask about this. Other than that I'm really happy with everything.

17. savage07

savage07 New Member

image-2634695406.jpg

This is my DPMS in up dating progress, next I might replace the A2 upper for the A3, so I can remove the carry handle.

18. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

Where did you get that magazine grip? I have found it a lot more comfortable to hold it there than using the fore grip I bought.

19. savage07

savage07 New Member

Really comfortable!! I bought it from Cheaper than dirt web site. You can also check Midwayusa. This two web site are great in my opinion.

20. MNMCycles

MNMCycles New Member

Here is my tricked out AR as well as a few other toys.Built this one to long ago to remember the parts I put on.

Attached Files: