Glock Forum banner

ar15 bolt carrier question??

5K views 42 replies 7 participants last post by  shiflet 
#1 ·
Del-ton vs. Colt...

Can anyone tell a difference between the two of these???

I was told the Del-ton would be much "cheaper" quality...

I dunno I don't see a difference!

Wood Gas Door handle Door Pattern

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The one on the left seems to be made of a thinner material than the one on the right, which also seems to have the upper cutout deeper into the carrier piece and seems to be better machined. The gas key seems to be staked sufficiently on both. Wish the lighting was better towards the bottom of the picture.

#7 ·
I would definitely say that the on the right is the Colt... The staking looks much more "professional". With that said the other one looks like it would certainly hold too. The Colt stuff gets a lot of extra testing done to it, since they build and proof their rifles to "mil spec". As far as know, Del-Ton (and a host of others) do not take those extra steps.

#8 ·
Trotac said:
I would definitely say that the on the right is the Colt... The staking looks much more "professional". With that said the other one looks like it would certainly hold too. The Colt stuff gets a lot of extra testing done to it, since they build and proof their rifles to "mil spec". As far as know, Del-Ton (and a host of others) do not take those extra steps.
Actually I heard the same but the one on the right is out of a Del-ton. The other is a colt

#10 ·
shiflet said:
Actually I heard the same but the one on the right is out of a Del-ton. The other is a colt
Well... I stand corrected! I just finished up AR Armorer school last week, and Colt did not get a lot of props on their most current production... Looks like that might be proof of why.

#14 ·
Trotac said:
Well... I stand corrected! I just finished up AR Armorer school last week, and Colt did not get a lot of props on their most current production... Looks like that might be proof of why.
This colt is actually several years old! Non the less I am very happy with my Del-yon so far. Also I've heard that del-ton started out manufacturing parts for larger companies before they decided to do their own.

#17 ·
had a friend have his Delta HBAR blow up with factory ammo and Colt said, sorry but its not our problem.
Yeow! Was it a barrel obstruction?

unless it's a colt or a rra or a whatever they think is the best
Yep, absolutely, which is why I build mine from components. Admittedly, components that I have found to be reliable (and not the most expensive, either!), and I don't know if anyone has noticed, I do not use Colt parts! heh-heh-heh

#19 ·
Unfortunately, any number of things can cause the upper to come apart (aka, Go-Kaboom), anything from bad metallurgy to faulty ammunition to a bore obstruction. Causes could range from sub-par component quality, to lack of maintenance leading to dangerous overpressures when firing, to bad ammunition. It is not unknown for firearms to go kaboom on factory ammo, and there have been a number of recalls on factory ammo that have been found to have overcharges.... guess how they learned of the overcharges? Yep, consumer reports of kabooms.

Sadly, unless more information can be gleaned about incidents like these, the simplest (and most common) conclusion is to blame bad parts. This, however, is not always the case. While it is usually not done in a deliberate attempt to cast aspersion upon (fill in the blank) brand, that is usually the net result.

I would urge that potential buyers do their research, which includes searching for testimonials (both good and bad), and asking for recommendations (on forums such as these), as the OP has done, and to try their best to separate the the brand-bashing from the nuggets of truth. Not easy, I admit. Especially in regards to firearms (witness the endless bashing of Glocks, Hi-Points, hollow-point vs ball, 1911 vs Glock, and the neverending 9mm vs .45 debates and name-calling).

I personally know nothing about Del-Tons, had never even heard the brand until last week, from the OP, and reserve my comments until I have heard first-hand information from an owner of same. It would behoove others to do the same.

EvilD, I mean no offense. Your friend probably hates the brand with every fiber of his being, but it would be very helpful for us if you could get more information from him, and share this information. Thanks.

Cheers!

#20 ·
I've never owned a del-ton, but I have seen them a lot recently. There is an older gentlemen that owns a gun store close to my home that speaks highly of them. He did mention that del-ton's customer service is stellar. From what I understand they are a small, family owned/operated company in NC.

#24 ·
EvilD, I mean no offense. Your friend probably hates the brand with every fiber of his being, but it would be very helpful for us if you could get more information from him, and share this information. Thanks.

Cheers!
No offense take, not sure what I would take offense at, anywho, lost contact with the guy 13 years ago. I know there are a number of things that can cause a kaboom, but Colts total disreguard for their customers is what put me off to them, they refused to even look at it. In october, a friend had a brand new FN 45 blow up , FN took it back and replaced it, took 3 months, but they did it, the gun fired out of battery. I had a Glock that wouldn't' load the last round of the mag, sent it in, they fixed it, and put it tow new mags. Todays day and age, customer service will make or break a company.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.