AR Platforms

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by SHOOTER13, Jan 26, 2012.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

This one here is my pride and joy...an Olympic Arms CAR-97, bought during the height of the Clinton Assault Weapon Ban in the late 90's. She is barreled and chambered for the 5.56x45mm NATO cartridge...and does not have a bayonet lug and originally had a pinned collapseable stock as that was two of the AWB provisions at that time. I have since replaced that pinned with a six position adjustable stock, making it a handy carbine in tight spaces as well as a tack driver out to a few hundred yards.

[​IMG]

Olympic Arms is one of the few AR15 manufacturers to make every major component part in-house. They have been found to constantly meet the rigid specifications of military, government and law enforcement agency contracts. Olympic Arms has provided firearms for Law Enforcement and Government agencies around the globe, including every branch of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Olympic was also the first to introduce features now seen as commonplace on the AR15 platform. It was the first company to produce flat-top upper receivers, free floating aluminum hand guards, pistol caliber conversions, and AR-15 based pistols. They also manufactures many AR-15s in calibers other than the standard 5.56x45mm. Olympic was the first in the industry to offer AR15 style firearms in 9mm and .45ACP, 10mm, 7.62x39mm, and the Winchester Super Short Magnum cartridges.

SPECS

1:9 twist rate
    16" 416 Black Oxide Stainless Steel heavy barrel w/muzzle break
    A2 forged upper/lower receiver
    Pachmayr grips
    (shown w/ red dot sight)

[​IMG]

200 yards...using Hornady 5.56 NATO 55gr GMX Superformance (HEAD)
    200 yards...using Hornady .223 REM 55gr TAP FPD (CENTER MASS)

bench rested over Caldwell Bag...utilizing my Winchester Spotting Scope 15-45X60mm
    [​IMG]

2. Huskysibe

Huskysibe New Member

Texas
    Nothing against your rifle but I don't care much for the Olympic's. BTW I used to be stationed at NAS Willow Grove, I thought they shut it down and moved everything to Jersey?

3. SHOOTER13

reply...

NAS JRB WILLOW GROVE ceased to exist as of 15 September 2011 under BRAC 2005.

The A-10's of the 111th Fighter Wing flew over my home almost daily. The Warthogs were
    sent to other ANG Squadrons.

Don't know why you would say that about Olympic Arms...but you do know what they say about opinions...

So...what brand AR do you own ?!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  4. Huskysibe

Huskysibe New Member

Texas
    I have a Daniel Defense AR. You know how it is, some folks like certain brands over others, not trying to put anything down.

5. SHOOTER13

Well, I started this as a picture thread...let's see it !!

BTW...where were you stationed in the sand box ?!

My HQ was Fort Belvoir in VA. My wife was a SGM USA CID same location...her last duty station was GITMO

6. Huskysibe

Huskysibe New Member

Texas
  7. SHOOTER13

reply...

I was gonna say I don't care for Daniel Defense AR's...but I would be lyin' ;)

That looks like a nice shooter !!

My wife has been to Bagram AB, Afghanistan...and Incirlik AB, Turkey during Operation Enduring Freedom. All I got was the patches and t-shirts...most of my duty was the lower 48...including Dallas/Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Houston TX.

20 years huh...?! I did 32, the SGM did 28 !!

Good Luck to ya !!

8. Huskysibe

Huskysibe New Member

Texas
    I can do 24 as an E7 but gonna hang it up at 22.

9. SHOOTER13

Then what ?! You're too young to be a bum like me !

......what's your MOS ?

Are you going into law enforcement...?!

10. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

What are some good online stores to shop if one was interested in buying a AR?

11. rjrivero

rjrivero New Member

AR's are like potato chips. Can't stop at just one.

As you've seen in this thread, there are many options out there, and some are more highly regarded than others.

AR's are such a versatile platform, you can build one, or buy one, for just about any shooting discipline you can think of.

So before offering my humble opinion(s), what do you plan on using your AR for? How much does it matter to you to have the "greatest AR ever made?" Name brand loyalty can get kind of fierce. Does that kind of "stigma" matter to you?

Do you plan on assembling one or buying one ready to go out of the box? Personally, I've done both and love shooting a rifle I've assembled. Just makes ownership that much more enjoyable. (For me.)

12. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

Well it would primarily be a "range" type gun. Having "the greatest" is not something im into. Think I would rather buy one ready to run for first one.

13. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Active Member

I enjoy shooting my AR-15.

It's a versatile weapon for practicing CQB or long distance shooting.

The recoil is easily manageable.

14. rjrivero

rjrivero New Member

Do you have a price point in mind? An entry level AR bare bones, like the S&W Optics Ready Carbine can be had for $675 or so. For a few hundred more, you can get an entry level BCM which is as good as their bells and whistles models, but without the rails and add on goodies.

15. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

I think i'll give myself about a 1000 dollar allowance from my tax return to spend. I'm not to familiar with all the different manufacturers. I do know I dont want a piece of junk. Anything in your opinion to stay away from?

16. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

$1,000= whatever you want almost. Bravo Company (BCM) is one of my favorites. DPMS makes a great AR. Bushmaster use to be great but their QC has been questionable lately. Rock River Arms also makes a good AR.

17. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated!

18. rjrivero

rjrivero New Member

For $1k, your options are big names. Colt, LMT, BCM, Daniel Defense, all have rifles in that price range. Any of them would be more rifle than I deserve. ;)

I consider Rock River, Bushy, DPMS, Stag to be the next "tier" to the big boys. But, I DO OWN Bushy and Rock River products that I am happy with as well.

19. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

Well after a day researching these manufacturers, I really am liking the Stag Arms. Any biased or unbiased opinions of this brand?

20. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

Stag is good to go, you will enjoy it