Ar pistol lower receiver suggestions

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by 3404speed, Oct 22, 2020.

1. SJ 40

SJ 40 Well-Known Member

No just different and it will save you some bucks for a decent ambi rear charging handle

2. 3404speed

3404speed Well-Known Member Supporter

what do you mean save me some bucks for a ambi rear charging? By going to the side charging

3. SJ 40

SJ 40 Well-Known Member

By going with a side charging upper you won't be using the rear charging handle to charge the rifle. Hope this helps explain it.

best-side-charging-ar15-uppers

Bear Creek Arsenal Side Charging AR-15 Upper Review...

Rear charging handles

MCategories+AR-15-Charging-Handles

Radian Raptors aren't cheap or in stock but they are one of the best.

radian-weapons-ar15-m16-raptor-ambidextrous-charging-handle-black

3404speed likes this.
  4. 3404speed

Oh i knew what you meant just didnt understand when i read it lol

SJ 40 likes this.
  5. SJ 40

SJ 40 Well-Known Member

Been there and done that a time or three.

Danzig and 3404speed like this.
  6. 3404speed

So what ls the benefit one way or the other with the side charge vs rear charge? Both are the same price

7. SJ 40

SJ 40 Well-Known Member

Don't know if you ever had a round stuck in a AR chamber but with a rear CH one has to with one hand holding the CH and the other hand holing the rifle smack the butt on a hard firm surface, it called grenading to free the stuck round, hopefully.

For that reason I do not use the forward assist on my AR's,I gauge my ammunition with a Sheridan Slotted gauge and if it fails the gauge it get's pulled or broken down to it's components .

With a side charger one can use their palm or fist or even boot to pull back the charging knob that is resistant to open,that and some say that with suppressors less gas to the face with them.

Here it is from the horses mouth or is that bears mouth so to speak.

Side Charging Upper: Common Questions and Concerns BCA

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    3404speed and Danzig like this.
  8. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    No argument here. I was hoping Trump would install a new head over BATFE. Someone that’s pro2A, that’d be a first! Like I said in another thread, depending who wins the election. The 60 day tabling of the brace question will either be the first of a series of crackdowns on us gun owners or a softening of their position.

Biden said he will reintroduce the 94-04 AWB but make sure there are no loopholes or workarounds for gun manufacturers.
    He’ll add “assault weapons” to the NFA. Either you surrender them to the crusher or register them. :mad:

j102, 3404speed and SJ 40 like this.
  9. 3404speed

what exactly classifies as a assault weapon? Lol

SJ 40, j102 and Danzig like this.
  10. Danzig

Texas
    Actually it’s a carbine that fires select fire employing an intermediate rifle cartridge.

Politicians have used it as a catch all term that encompasses any evil looking firearm.

Look at the Federal Assault Weapon Ban of 94-04 or several states that have identical laws.

Usually it is a firearm regardless of caliber that employs 2 or more certain characteristics that deem it an assault weapon.

These characteristics often are listed as;
    A distinct pistol grip separate from the buttstock.
    A bayonet or bayonet lug.
    A threaded muzzle.:rolleyes:
    A flash hider.
    A detachable magazine.
    A barrel shroud.
    A gun listed as an assault rifle by name ie; AR-15, AK-47, Tec-9, etc.

the above is just what I recollect from years ago.

You should also see the laws against “Saturday Night Specials” AKA cheap pistols, before the scourge of black guns, politicians were all hot for banning handguns. So a lot of laws and rules came out in the late 60’s through the 1980’s.

The Brady Campaign, once the biggest gun control group used to be called Handgun Control Inc.

The 2 most dangerous things for guns is rust and politicians.

SJ 40 and 3404speed like this.
  11. 3404speed

Ok guys so im rethinking this a bit. I can buy a Psa stripped receiver and psa complete pistol lower build kit which includes the sba3 brace, magpul moe grip, magpul trigger guard, the enhanced polished trigger and all hardware for around $320 including shipping and tax. The same setup already assembled with the sba4 brace will cost me around $370

my question is this should be everything i need in this kit correct?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-sba3-moe-ept-pistol-lower-build-kit-black-5165448657.html

i have a armorers tool and a punch for the bolt catch roll pin, will i need any other specialty tools for assembly?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    SJ 40 likes this.
  12. SJ 40

SJ 40 Well-Known Member

I would suggest a 1/4" clevis pin from your local hardware store to make installing the front pivot pin easier but sounds like you have what you need.

Danzig, 3404speed and j102 like this.
  13. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

I read the information and questions others asked, and it looks it has everything you need. If by any chance something is missing, they will send it to you. PSA has a great customer service.

3404speed and SJ 40 like this.
  14. SJ 40

SJ 40 Well-Known Member

Danzig

Arms only have two enemies,corrosion and politicians.

Danzig, 3404speed and j102 like this.
  15. SJ 40

SJ 40 Well-Known Member

j 102 is correct,PSA packages everything in groups of sealed packs and includes at least 1 extra spring and detent to cover the one that gets away from you.
    PSA's only downfall is their shipping is rather slow and I'm speaking in non Covid,high demand times, plan on at least 2 to 3 weeks minimum perhaps even a bit more with the current demand. I know you will be pleased when your PSA build is complete, have fun.

j102 and Danzig like this.
  16. 3404speed

Is it going to be worth saving some to go with the anderson lower?

17. SJ 40

SJ 40 Well-Known Member

I've got a Anderson and other than the anodizing not being quite as even as PSA or Spikes there is nothing wrong with Anderson as to the finished product.

When I grabbed the one I got the price was to good to pass up 24.99 each with a max. purchase of a dozen, couldn't pass it up for that price.

3404speed and Danzig like this.
  18. Danzig

Texas
    Same here. Have done a number of PSA builds. Just remember shipping takes forever.

3404speed and SJ 40 like this.
  19. Danzig

Texas
    At the shop I worked at we sold hundreds of Anderson lowers. Only had one customer say one hole wasn’t drilled through properly. But he fixed it himself. I just like having different roll stamps (logos) on my builds so I don’t have any.

IIRC we were selling them for $49.99 at the time.

SJ 40 likes this.
  20. 3404speed

One of my lgs has psa lower for $99 and the aero for $135.

another lgs wanted $99 for a anderson

Lucian_253 and SJ 40 like this.