AR action question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by BocaDan, Apr 18, 2012.

1. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

Would having a barrel without the gas hole drilled (and without a gas tube of course) effectively make the AR a single action rifle, or just make things go kaboom?

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Yes, single-action, no kaboom.

All that happens is there is no gas impulse to push the bolt carrier back to clear the chamber and load the next round. The recoil may push the BCG back a little, but it will not be enough to extract+eject the spent casing and chamber the next one.

This happens when the gas system (aperture, gas block, and/or gas tube) gets clogged with deposits.

Care to share the root of your question?

Cheers!

3. Not sure why you would want to do that

4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

As a word of caution, intentionally doing this, and then loading hot rounds to try to make the recoil function the BCG will lead to dangerously high pressures in the chamber, and that equals a kaboom in a big way.

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

I suggest you not do it...chamber pressures could cause more problems than it is worth...

whatever you reasoning is...!!

6. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm not planning on doing this at all but I have to admit I have a soft spot for bolt action ARs (very common in England) and saw a high caliber bolt action Savage the other day that piqued my interest. Nevertheless maybe for my 2nd build - I'm going a much more "conventional" path for my first AR...

Cheers.