Glock Forum banner

9 on a budget

10K views 55 replies 20 participants last post by  Lucian_253 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to get a "budget" (under $1000) AR-9 type pistol and looking for recommendations. I've narrowed it down to Freedom Ordnance FX9 or the Foxtrot Mike FM9 but I'm open to any suggestions or advice. What do you have and how do you like it? I have a Romeo 5 on my shotgun that I really don't need on it. What other add-ons are must haves? I've done a good amount of research but really want to hear your first hand experiences. Let's hear it and if you have pics, see it.

#5 ·
#8 ·
I got a separate upper and lower from PSA.

You’ll probably have better luck getting the separate parts than getting a completed unit. Plus you’ll save some money.

Mine has been flawless in its stock configuration. I added a binary trigger so it’s picky about magazines when using it in binary mode. (Some mags can’t keep up with the trigger)

#9 ·
I got a separate upper and lower from PSA.

You’ll probably have better luck getting the separate parts than getting a completed unit. Plus you’ll save some money.

Mine has been flawless in its stock configuration. I added a binary trigger so it’s picky about magazines when using it in binary mode. (Some mags can’t keep up with the trigger)
So if I ordered a complete upper and lower, would that be all I need for the basic gun?

#16 ·
This is the only model currently available.
View attachment 237409
I went with this PSA model. I looked hard at the FoxTrot Mike, but could not find one available. It was basically a coin flip between the 2. If anyone is interested, I will update once I get it and put some rounds through it. Thanks for all of the input.

#26 ·
Good choice with the PSA. The last round bho sucks that it isn’t there, but I remember reading a good deal of claims that the Glock mags tend to not be very reliable for a last round bolt hold open with AR9’s. No personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt

The Colt mag ones usually have a bho that is reliable. But, nothing takes Colt mags except that lol

#33 · (Edited)
Yes, it does take Glock Mags. It comes with a 31 rd ETS clear magazine. I really don't like the look of the clear mags in general, but especially on the all black gun. I have a bunch of Glock 15rd mags but will have to get a few larger capacity mags to match the black.
The problem I have with the ETS magazines is not the translucent colors, it's the fact they swell up. More so than Glock OEM magazines and depending on the mag well they are being used In,as a example in a Polymer 80 you have to forcibly insert and extract them in the mag well.

#32 ·
A buddy of mine used his 80% 9mm lower with a Foxtrot Mike’s upper. Although his does not have last round bolt hold open. But it is a side charger which is pretty nice. And also the SB3 brace. He hasn’t shot it much but when he sighted it in at 25 yards it was hitting inside 2” with a vortex crossfire. I think that’s the route I’ll be heading myself at some point

#34 ·
I'm looking to get a "budget" (under $1000) AR-9 type pistol and looking for recommendations. I've narrowed it down to Freedom Ordnance FX9 or the Foxtrot Mike FM9 but I'm open to any suggestions or advice. What do you have and how do you like it? I know I want a SBA3 brace and I have a Romeo 5 on my shotgun that I really don't need on it. What other add-ons are must haves? I've done a good amount of research but really want to hear your first hand experiences. Let's hear it and if you have pics, see it.
Palmetto State Armory is my choice, above all others. I have their PSA 9mm upper, which comes with their “Hybrid” bolt carrier.
This can be used with the PSA 9mm Lower using Glock mags, or their lower using Colt mags.
This PSA 9mm Upper can also be used with all AR15 (5.56) Lowers by using “EndoMag” Spring & Follower inserts into Magpul Gen 2 PMag magazines. Three EndoMags cost about $90, so buying a dedicated Glock style lower is not necessary to shoot 9mm.
My PSA has run perfectly using my PSA Glock Lower and with my standard AR15 Lower with EndoMags, including full auto with my Colt M16 Lower. How can you beat the quality, price, and performance of all the Palmetto State Armory ARs? I have a safe full of their AR Upper and Lowers, never a single problem with any of them. Obviously I have some expensive brand name guns, but none are any better than my PSA guns, they just cost more.

#36 · (Edited)
Side question here: What do you use for a gun vise or rack for cleaning, maintenance, adding accessories etc for you AR Pistols? I'm in an apartment currently so I don't have room for a workbench and full size vise. I'm looking at the Magpul Bev Block to mount on, but not sure of the setup. Ideally, I'd like it to be able to hold longer guns too. I'm looking at something like this but not sure if its just a crappy plastic tray.
Product Automotive tire Automotive design Orange Font

#39 · (Edited)
Upper Receiver Action Rod AR 15

Used like shown

I personally dislike doing business with this supplier
https://botach.com/kz-barrel-spline-socket-rod-for-ar15-m4-upper-5-56mm-receivers/

There was a time when these could be had from many suppliers,IIRC I got mine from Etrean Tactical however they appear to be out of stock at the moment,IIRC paid 29.99 for it.

Here is another supplier that is very close in price, without having to deal with Botach.

https://www.vtsupply.com/guntec-ar15-upper-receiver-vise-rod-installation-action-tool-ar.html

https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/ar-15-reaction-rods-pros-and-cons-with-sotar/

It won't aid you in cleaning but any maintenance work or even building, changing muzzle devices, gas block or changing barrels all can be accomplished with a action rod with out worry about damage to your upper or just get a magazine block and clean away.
add a magazine block along with it ,which I use to clean with and you have all you need besides a vice to clamp them in to.

ProMag AR-15/M16 Lower Receiver Magazine Well Vise Block
$11.99

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/promag-ar-15-m16-lower-receiver-magazine-well-vise-block

With these two tools and vice,one can build a AR from stripped parts into a complete AR and do your cleaning with out taking up much space at all.

Reactions: brog and Danzig
#56 ·
Upper Receiver Action Rod AR 15

Used like shown

I personally dislike doing business with this supplier
KZ Barrel Spline Socket Rod For AR15/M4 Upper Receivers

There was a time when these could be had from many suppliers,IIRC I got mine from Etrean Tactical however they appear to be out of stock at the moment,IIRC paid 29.99 for it.

Here is another supplier that is very close in price, without having to deal with Botach.

Guntec AR15 Upper Receiver Vise Rod Installation Action Tool AR-15 Valhalla Tactical Supply

AR-15 Reaction Rods – Pros and Cons with SOTAR

It won't aid you in cleaning but any maintenance work or even building, changing muzzle devices, gas block or changing barrels all can be accomplished with a action rod with out worry about damage to your upper or just get a magazine block and clean away.
add a magazine block along with it ,which I use to clean with and you have all you need besides a vice to clamp them in to.

ProMag AR-15/M16 Lower Receiver Magazine Well Vise Block
$11.99

ProMag AR-15/M16 Lower Receiver Magazine Well Vise Block | Academy

With these two tools and vice,one can build a AR from stripped parts into a complete AR and do your cleaning with out taking up much space at all.
That’s the only ProMag product I can endorse. I’ve used mine for many years. Works perfectly!

#40 · (Edited)
My PSA came in today. One week from order to delivery. It feels like a quality gun and looks great IMO. I have a question for those of you that have had platform guns. The buffer tube on the PSA is MIL Spec. Installation only shows putting it on from scratch w/ no tube on. I'm also trying to decide if I need an amorer's wrench right now or can wait. Sorry for the basic questions, 1st time with this platform.

#43 ·
My PSA came in today. One week from order to delivery. It feels like a quality gun and looks great IMO. I have aquestion for those of you that have had AR platform guns. The buffer tube on the PSA is MIL Spec and looks the same as on the SBA 3 brace. SB Tactical said "Our SBA3 will be compatible with the tube currently on that pistol, no need to swap that out. " So, do I take the tube off of the SBA 3 or how do I put it on. Installation only shows putting it on from scratch w/ no tube on. I'm also trying to decide if I need an amorer's wrench right now or can wait. Sorry for the basic questions, 1st time with AR platform.
View attachment 239425 View attachment 239427
Congratulations! It is an awesome AR pistol.

To answer your question about the SBA brace, just remove the brace from the tube that came with it. Then slide the brace on the gun’s tube.

Watch the video below.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.