Ar-15

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Glock_Guy199, May 5, 2012.

1. Glock_Guy199

Glock_Guy199 New Member

Anyone know where I can get mil spec lower receiver parts online? Also what would be a good upper I want to build my first AR so I'm new to this.

2. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Well-Known Member Supporter

There's a couple experienced members here that have purchased parts and built AR's... HappySniper1 and another member here had a thread going regarding their builds and they may be a good start to get info from, I hope this helps you out :)

3. Where to start...haha. Just about every manufacturer sells lower parts kits. Armalite, DPMS, Bushmaster, CMMG, Stag Arms, Delton, LMT, etc etc etc. haha.(stay away from Colt though, as they use different trigger pin diameters). And as far as the upper goes, whats your flavor? There are so many different options for a build, its kind of a shot in the dark for someone to make a suggestion. Whats your price range and intended style? ie-carbine, mid length, full length. Heres a pic of my latest build-Frankensteined together CMMG M4 carbine utilizing magpul and troy industries furniture, LMT enhanced bolt, Geissele trigger group, etc. (more or less a surplus parts bin rifle)

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      40.3 KB
      Views:
  4. AverageCitizen

AverageCitizen New Member

My main question is will any lower you can buy at you gun shop of choice will it match up to any upper you can buy over the web or at the shop?

5. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Basically, yes. You can't put a .308 upper on a .223 lower, because of the OAL of the rounds, for instance, so you do have to stick within what will fit in an AR15 lower vs. an AR10 lower.

Some may require some minor fitting or be a little looser than others.

Check out the attachment. It's older, but it still good.

Attached Files:

6. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

I would go with either Spikes or Palmetto.

7. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

x3 for Palmetto State Amory. Great prices, great quality. They tend to be out of stock a lot though..maybe it's the economy!

8. Glock_Guy199

Glock_Guy199 New Member

Here's where im at I'd most likely go with a striped stag lower and put all mil-spec parts in it. But I still might go with spikes lower not sure yet.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  9. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

If you stick to mill spec parts it will.

10. nyycanseco33

I think it's just the situation with the economy and politics that are causing Palmetto to be out of stock due to more people buying guns and related products as a result... Don't wanna turn this into a political thread but we all know the Obama situation and the fear of our 2nd amendment rights being taken away...

Anyways that's just my opinion on why that is happening and my opinions do not reflect the views of this forum, the admins/mods, or it's other members :)

11. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

I'm a big LMT fan. Their stuff is awesome!!!

12. glocknloaded

Can't go wrong with Spikes Tactical

13. Glock_Guy199

Glock_Guy199 New Member

For the upper I'd like to get a 6.8 but dont know which one to to get. And would it work with a stag lower or spikes?

14. Both are good manufacturers. Ive personally used stag more than spikes, and have had good experiences with them. Nothing against spikes either.

15. glocknloaded

Yes they would...

16. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

When it comes to a stripped lower, any one will do. There will be little to no difference from one mil-spec lower to another, regardless of brand. I wouldn't pay a premium for a brand name on a lower. You can find stipped lowers for under $100 and if you look for sales, I've seen them, recently, on sale as low as $50. I paid $79.95 for my Deltonics stripped lower.

As far as caliber, if you plan on having multiple ARs, including a 5.56/.223, you might want to look at one of the .300s, like .300 Blackout, instead of 6.8, because you can use the same magazines between them and the 5.56, which you cannot do with the 6.8. You'll also find the .300 Blackout to exceed the 6.8 SPC (which I'm guessing is what you're talking about) ballistically, despite the parts and ammo being nearly identical in price and availability. I was planning a 6.8 SPC build, until I ran into a random guy at a gun show and we started talking. We talked 6.8 SPC and his simply asked what I thought about the .300s. I told him I hadn't really read up on them, and that was the end of the conversation. Then I came home and read about them, which resulted in a change of build plans!

17. AverageCitizen

AverageCitizen New Member

Noob question here but a complete lower has to go threw an FFL? Correct? What about the the stripped ones? And do the lower parts kits contain everything you need?

18. nyycanseco33

All lowers need to go through an FFL because they are the only part that has the serial number for the ATF to register... I heard you can get around this by getting a lower that is only 80% completed and mill it out the rest of the way yourself but that's just hearsay so don't quote me on that and I'm not sure on the true legality of it... Stick to the laws!

Anyways I hope that helped you out, usually a LGS or friendly FFL home based dealer will work with you to buy lowers and likely complete an FFL transfer and pay a small fee, worth it if you wanna stay legal and keep the alphabet police away :)

19. glocknloaded

Haha alphabet police love it....