Glock Firearms banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some opinions on steel Ammo for my new AR 15 i haven't had to much experience with the AR this will be my first one so I'm looking for a little help on the ammo

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase... What at did you go with?

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
I run steel ammo all.... The time no problem... Wolf military classic is my favorite.

I

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
I have never run steel ammo... Mainly because I reload all my brass and if you look you can find brass cases for about the same price as steel

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
I run steel very often. I prefer brass as it's often cleaner.

The only issues i've had with steel is that shoots very dirty and with the lacquer coating, you REALYL need to clean your chamber very well so you don't risk "Case stick".

Wolf Classic (black box) seems to work well.

Unlike GNL, I am not a fan of the "Wolff Military Classic" in the tan "cammo" boxes. There are several documented cases of folks having failure to extract and double feed issues. This has been corrected by "tumbling" the rounds before shooting to remove the extra sticky powder that is coating the cases (other than the lacquer).

Depending on your lower, though, YMMV.

D

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
I prefer to use brass for the firt 300-500 rounds. Then I wouldn't have a problem with steel, as long as you keep the AR clean. I have had some steel stick in the chamber....and I have shot hundreds of rounds of it without a problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your help I do appreciate it. I am definitely going to still research the steel ammo just to try to learn as much as I can about the rounds it is definitely a big difference going from a Glock 45Gap to a AR 15 but Both of then are extremely fun if I ammo was a little cheaper I would be at the range everyday

·
Boost Rules
278 Posts
I've run steel ammo with no issues. I reload most of time so it is not an issue. I've reloaded steel cases with success as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shaker223 said:
I've run steel ammo with no issues. I reload most of time so it is not an issue. I've reloaded steel cases with success as well.
Shaker on reloading to save with that i mean after all the equipment has been bought and paid 4 right now I'm in new York state sure as you may or may not know the state for weapons is the biggest joke in the world but as far is getting ammo sent to me I'm [email protected] about 43 cents around that seams high to me so I thought about reloading my own does it payoff

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
Just watched a great you tube video on this topic, check out Military Arms Channel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts