Applied to Sheriffs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by chilly613, May 23, 2012.

1. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

Just put in an application to the Orange County Sheriffs Dept here in California. Wish me luck!

2. Good luck man! I've thought about applying for LE myself....

3. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Ohio
    Good luck..... I have been a LEO for going on 10 years and I love every minute of it...... Stay sharp and stay safe, best of luck to you !!

4. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

Good luck keep us posted!! I maybe doing the same thing here in Oakland and would love to hear how it goes for you as you progress

5. DevilDawg235

DevilDawg235 New Member

I start academy in October for the Orange Co. Sheriff Dept here in Florida... Good luck man!

6. glocknloaded

Congrats!!! I was born and raised in orange county (Apopka/pine hills)

Be safe out there orlando can get pretty wicked

7. gunfreak101

gunfreak101 New Member

Sweet, good luck!!! I'm trying to get into highway patrol in Nevada, since I had enough in corrections.

8. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Good luck to you man. I've been in law enforcement for 6.5 years now and love it. Granted I'm no longer on the streets patrolling, I still love it.

9. DevilDawg235

DevilDawg235 New Member

Awesome! I work in Altamonte Springs now... So did you leave FL?

10. sgtglock

sgtglock New Member

Awesome! Good luck!! One of the most rewarding careers ever!

11. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

Thanks everyone. I just hate the fact that it'll take forever to go thru the process, that's if I even get chosen for selection.

12. glocknloaded

Nice! My very first place was in Altamonte right across the street from the mall on Essex dr.

Yeah I live in California now Oakland/ San Francisco area.

13. mauro3005

mauro3005 New Member

Sweet man try to stay fit so the academy is easier. I'm in the process too at Dekalb county. And it does seem long. Currently in the background check phase and should be getting a call for interview pretty soon hopefully

14. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

Good Luck! Hope you are OK working in the Jails! Last I heard in the OC you will be in the Jails a Minimum of 6 yrs. L.A. is loosining up and getting them out to the Street sooner.
    OC enjoys the Rep as one of the Best and Toughest Academy's! Again Good Luck!

15. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

Just an update, I got my invite to take the written exam and agility test next Saturday. And it depends on the county's need for corrections officers. I already have a friend that went thru the academy and is already patrolling the streets, hopefully I don't have to but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

16. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Working in a jail gives you invaluable experience that will help you once you get on the streets. You'll see. Just another step towards your goal.

17. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

See, I went the other way. I joined up as a Reserve Deputy and worked patrol and events for 6 years. Now I'm with the Feds as a correctional officer. It was my degree and experience as a patrol deputy which helped me get this job. Of course, now I'm inside all day with much better pay and benefits. I will actually have a pension and retirement savings here versus nothing if I retired as a deputy.

18. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

So to update everyone. The exam and agility test were this morning. I did great on the exam, passed the pre-interview screening, was able to manipulate a Glock trigger with both hands 6 times, did surprisingly well on the obstacle course, did my 30 push ups and 30 sit ups in less than 5 minutes. But the last test was the mile run in under 10 minutes; each lap I did 1:30, pretty good seeing how I don't run well. 3/4 of the way thru my laps my knees didn't want to finish... There's always next time!