Appeal of Open Carry?

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by sgtglock, May 3, 2012.

1. sgtglock

sgtglock New Member

If this topic has already been discussed/debated please forgive me. It can be deleted or moved as needed. I'm hoping my friends and fellow forum members can help me understand the appeal of open carry. I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept but cant quite get there. I believe its all about excercising the right to keep and bear arms, I do. And I dont have a problem with that. And I dont have a problem with anyone legally open carrying. What I cant understand is WHY would you want to let EVERYONE know your armed? Especially the bad guys. In Texas you cant open carry, so you see a lot of folks wearing the "shoot me first" vests. When I'm carrying, concealed, you'd never know it because I look like the country hick I am. I dont want anyone to know that I've got a handgun til they see it in my hand and my badge in the other. I guess I look at carrying concealed as a "tactical" advantage, for lack of a better term.
    I'm not trying to [email protected]@ anybody off here or change any minds. I'm just trying to understand something, that to me at least, doesnt make sense. But maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

2. Gun_Aficionado

Gun_Aficionado King of my Castle until my wife comes home Lifetime Supporting Member

+1 on everything you said. I can see open carry if that is your only option... Like in AZ over 18 under 21.

3. TampaBaySean

TampaBaySean New Member

I agree. I del carrying openly kind of makes me more of the 1st target. Id prefer to be seen as no threat .Then surprise .

4. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

Sometimes I do it because I have no other option. Sometimes when I go to my college, I take my gun and leave it in my car since I cant't carry it on campus. I leave my concealed carry holster at home because I don't need it. Then I'll go somewhere afterwards that I hadn't originally planned. So, I open carry my weapon because I would rather do that than not have my gun with me. But I do agree with your viewpoint. I only open carry when I have no other option.

5. odgreen

odgreen Senior Member

Just keep a spare holster in your car. I agree with not carrying openly, not because you can't but simply because it's attention getting and unnecessary.

6. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

That my friend is why I open carry. Here in AZ, I can't CC under 21 even with a Maine non-resident permit. I carry almost every day. When I get to school the gun stays in the truck. It's on my person the moment I leave. It is a lifestyle change, I dress professionally when I do OC, eg a polo. And demeanor means a lot.

7. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

I have a big fear of leaving my weapon in a vehicle. But wouldn't hesitate if my vehicle was outfitted to properly store my weapon. Am I weird for being against leaving gun in car? AZ probably has the highest car thefts in the nation.

8. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Get a lock box. Gunvault nano.

9. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

Thank you brother! I will be researching/shopping on line when I get home.

10. cutlass327

cutlass327 New Member

The only thing I ask the OP, what BADGE are you talking about?? If you have a CCW 'badge', never show it. Some laws consider that impersonation of a police officer. There has been much discussion on that subject on this board, may want to look it up.

11. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

12. sgtglock

sgtglock New Member

Cutlass, may BADGE is actually my dept badge that says CHIEF. Sorry I didnt make that clear. Lol. Anyway, some of ya'll have opened my eyes a little bit. I didnt think about those who couldnt obtain a license for reasons stated. But for those that do open carry, you've got to realize its like you have a big bullseye plastered on your back. Please be safe.

13. sgtglock

sgtglock New Member

Blackwolf, I tried to go to that thread but I'm on my iPhone and it wouldnt work.

14. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I pride myself in my situational awareness! Not to get too cocky though... Stuff happens. On the note of the other thread... It really doesn't matter cause you are an LEO. It's still a good read though.

15. cutlass327

cutlass327 New Member

Cool. I just wish mobile allowed for italics, so it doesn't look as rude as all caps. Hope you didn't take that as rudeness..

I bet that would surprise someone though, getting nailed by the Chief of police thinking they were getting a normal citizen!

16. sgtglock

sgtglock New Member

No cutlass, I didnt take it that way! But I couldnt resist a little fun. Lol. Its all good! Afwit, I should have clarified.

17. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

18. SteveC

SteveC New Member

About the only time I carry open is to and from the range. Since we have the option in WV with CC permit, there's no reason to advertise that I'm armed and deal with nervous citizens.

19. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Whatever thread you were trying to link to, there's no link for...the only link is for the gunvault.

20. piston10

piston10 New Member

I support open carry, we have current bill in Oklahoma trying to pass through. I don't think I would ever open carry. I want it more because ours protects us against printing and accidental exposure. I would rather have the law say I can vs I can't. It should be my choice and freedom.