Anyone want to confess their superstitions?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by havasu, Jul 13, 2012.

1. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

Today is Friday the 13th. Is anyone superstitious at all? I myself will still never cross under a ladder, but that is about it.

2. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Spilling the salt. If you spill the salt you have to toss a pinch over your shoulder or it's bad luck.

3. As many wired things I believe in, superstitions isn't one of them. :p

4. Gun_Aficionado

Gun_Aficionado King of my Castle until my wife comes home Lifetime Supporting Member

I have none superstitions go against my religion.

5. Blaze

Blaze Active Member Supporter

I won't close a knife blade if someone else opened it.. I turn around if black cat crossed in front of me,and afraid of karma lol

6. randrew379

randrew379 New Member

Seriously?

7. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Yeah, it's against my religion too. One of the teachings of Christianity: divine control, faith, etc. etc.

That being said, I have certain "traditions" or rituals (aka superstitions regarding competition) that i keep that give me a "confidence boost" (which is all a superstition is anyway):

When riding/racing motorcycles, I never got on the bike from the right side, always put my boots on left foot first and always my gloves on right hand first.

When coaching volleyball, I never let my kids chant "win" out of a huddle. Guarantee of a loss.

Traditional ones: black cats, ladders, mirrors, pennies, etc. don't bother me. My requested sports jerseys were always #13.

D

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  8. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

All of everybody else's, and my own of course.

9. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

Superstitions go against my religion also, but that's because I'm an Atheist. :)

10. Redhairdontcare

Redhairdontcare New Member

During high school football going from the sideline to the field is never step on the sideline

I don't sit on the emergency exit on an airplane ( afraid I might get sucked out)

11. jsimion423

jsimion423 New Member

I was born on Friday the 13 and untill I got married it was always my lucky day. But now that I'm married I think it's a day for the wife to piss me off lol

12. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

What is the reason for that? I've never heard that.

13. Hollen

Hollen New Member

+1 on that but that's just cause its one of the few memories of my grandfather. He use to yell at me if I closed a knife he opened.

14. Hollen

Hollen New Member

It's just supposed to be bad luck!

15. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

This guy in a hockey mask in my basement thinks it's superstitious to believe in superstitions but I'm too superstitious to go down there.

16. series11

Ok, I won't do it.

Hey I got a new superstition!!!!!

17. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

I am only superstisous of people who are superstisous.

18. series11

When I was in Iraq the guys had superstitions about how and where to walk to the vehicles and amongst other things. I never cared and one time they caught me going where ever I wanted to and started flipping out. I then told them that if I don't care about superstitions and walk where I wanted then I'm not in violation of mine or theirs but by them stopping and going out of the norm for thier walk then it was a violation of their superstition. Then they had to re-walk to the vehicles...

19. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

It's also considered bad luck to give a knife as a gift unless the recipient "buys" the gift from the giver (usually by giving the gift-giver a nominal penny). Otherwise, the superstition is that the blade will "cut the bonds of friendship."

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  20. Gun_Aficionado

Gun_Aficionado King of my Castle until my wife comes home Lifetime Supporting Member

Yes seriously.... Superstition is putting faith in something other than God. Not knocking those whom are superstitious...