Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some state laws put limits on calibers used. I have not hunted with a handgun yet but was looking for some stories..........

·
Registered
931 Posts
I went Hog hunting with my Buddy in TX. I used my G23 as my sidearm & his AR15.

Had to put 1 round in a hogs head with my G23. The hog got tangled up in a barb wire fence

The ammo I used was Remington Golden Saber 165gr. BJH. This all happened about a month ago.

This was the first time I have ever killed a hog. He was around 200-250 lbs.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Here in WI it would not be a legal firearm for most hunting except small game (rabbits, squirrels, etc.) To use a handgun here in WI for deer (for example) it must have a minimum barrel length of 6" and fire rounds of a minimum fps rating. There are no Glocks that meet those criteria.

Now -- WOULD I use my Glock for hunting? You betcha! My 9mm would be a bit light for deer, but I could easily see using it for rabbit, squirrel, fox, and other small animals.

Side note: I do use a handgun for deer hunting. I use my Desert Eagle .44 mag. Problem is: I haven't had a buck walk anywhere near me since I've been carrying the DE. It's still a buck virgin. :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
I plan on taking my G20 with me for deer hunting along with my rifle. Last year by the time a die stopped moving she was 15ft below me next to my ladder...if that happens again I'll be ready.

·
Sheep Dog-MCLMM
430 Posts
Does shooting at a bobcat from the drivers seat count???

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think my next glock will be a 20SF specifically for hog hunting. But it will also be a fun gun to shoot ha

·
Premium Member
13,722 Posts
I have a G-20 with stock length barrel, and also a 6 inch barrel. It came as a set from Cabelas. In Washington it is legal to hunt with a handgun, just haven't gone hunting since I bought it. Next time I go I intend to try it out though.

·
Lead Farmer
2,882 Posts
Lucian_253 said:
Who sells 10mm conversions for G-30's?
Lonewolf. Was gonna pick up a lonewolf ported extended barrel and 2 g29 mags for $250.00 but i bought another handgun instead.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to hunt big game with a Glock if it was chambered for either 40 S&W or 10mm...

I would not however use hollow points on big game, penetration and shot placement are paramount here.

Hollow points are more likely to under penetrate, and full metal jackets will have better accuracy and ballistics.

Just make sure you know your own capabilities accuracy wise with whatever model you choose and err on the side of taking more conservative shots.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,395 Posts
762X51 said:
I have killed several hogs with my 21 running buffalo bore 255 grain 45 super
What's the speed on that? What kind of bullet do they use? What's tbhe difference between the .45ACP and .45super?

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,395 Posts
Fits in the same magazine? External dimensions as compared to ACP.

·
Sheep Dog-MCLMM
430 Posts
The buffalo bore uses a 255 grain hard cast bullet in the 45 super. The 45 super uses a 451 detonics case design that is shortened to the ACP case length. It has more strength in the case head area and can withstand the near 40,000 CUP it can produces. For a 230 grain fmj, it will usually be 200-250 fps faster than the ACP and about 200 # more energy. I'm pretty sure the capacity of the case is not increased in any way.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,395 Posts
So it's just a hair fatter or same size? Special barrel or mag or spring needed?

·
I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!
998 Posts
Id like more info on this as well please! any mods need done to a regular 45 glock to use 45 super?

·
Sheep Dog-MCLMM
430 Posts
The outside dimensions are identical. The difference is the case thickness in certain areas. You would need a heavier recoil spring to prevent damage. It's like a 45 ACP ++p++. In a 1911, I would want to be very sure that the chamber would stand up to double the CUP it would normally see. Someone makes a Glock conversion for 45 super. 6" barrel with compensator, fully supported chamber, recoil assembly, etc.

·
Sheep Dog-MCLMM
430 Posts
It might be safe for limited use in a factory barrel but the pressure of the super is higher than an ACP proof round.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts