Anyone here shoot percussion guns?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by 3L3C7R0, Mar 13, 2012.

1. 3L3C7R0

3L3C7R0 New Member

I have a Philadelphia Derringer .45 that I'm going to test out. It's a kit gun but should be loads of fun.

ForumRunner_20120313_045105.jpg

ForumRunner_20120313_045114.jpg

ForumRunner_20120313_045127.jpg

2. american lockpicker

american lockpicker New Member

I used to have a 50 cal CVA, they are loads of fun to shoot but make sure you clean it well after use.

3. That things pretty cool. Do they make a blackhawk for it? lol

4. 3L3C7R0

3L3C7R0 New Member

Lol, what about a MIC holster for it?

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

It was a .44 caliber single-shot, 5.87-inch derringer wielded by John Wilkes Booth that killed

President Abraham Lincoln. Made in Philadelphia by Henry Deringer (1786–1868), Booth's Deringer

was unusual in that the rifling twisted counterclockwise (left-handed twist), rather than the typical

clockwise twist used on most Philadelphia Deringers.

FBI Photo of the actual JWB Derringer

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  6. I have three percussion-ignition black powder guns that I built from kits when I was in middle school and high school.
    My first was a .45 caliber derringer style. It looks a lot like yours, but a bit plainer. The next one I did was a 1851 Navy Colt Revolver. That one got a little more in-depth because you had to work on the revolver mechanicals to get it "timed" correctly. My final one was a Kentucky pistol in .45 caliber. That one had a LOT more wood working to do on it. The Kentucky pistol is also incredibly accurate. I can easily put 5 shots into a baseball sized area from 15 - 20 yards out. After about 5 shots, though, the pattern starts expanding because of the dirty barrel.

All three guns are fun to shoot. But "american lockpicker" above is right -- you really need to clean them. Black powder burns REALLY dirty. After a few shots with the single shots, or a couple loads in the revolver, the barrel is so dirty that I think it affects the accuracy of the gun. You may want to check the gun's directions and see if you can shoot Pyrodex instead. That's a lot cleaner-burning.

By the way -- it looks like you really did a nice job! The lock plate inset work looks really nicely done!

Have fun with that little guy!

ps -- I once loaded my derringer with some shot to see what kind of "pattern" I would get. Holy cow!!! About 6' wide pattern at about 15' away! Talk about a "scattergun"!!!

Oh -- One other thing ---- You really don't need Hoppes or CLP to clean up with black powder. It just takes dish soap and warm water. They are messy -- but they clean up pretty easily. Just be sure to oil it well after you wash it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012