Featured Anyone Have an Enfield 303?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by PattonWasRight, Oct 4, 2017.

1. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight Well-Known Member

Because I "need" one looks like I'll be buying a Mark I Number 4, which is the version used during WWII

Buying it from a guy that I do CMP rifle shooting competitions with, $350, good throat, good barrel and good cosmetics overall

Always wanted one. What's cool is the bolt cocks on close, so it's more ergo and easier to do the "mad minute" fast fire, with it's 10 round mag.

I'll now have a WWII rifle from all the good guys, as well as a WWII Mauser the Israeli's converted over to 7.62 and used to defend against its enemies (if only that one could talk)

Anywho's ... just wondering if anyone else owns one of these and their experiences with it

2. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a one that the stock was cut back for what I can only assume are Hunting purposes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Easy_CZ likes this.

3. PattonWasRight

Nice wood on yours, yes, "sportirized" was popular long ago. Do you know what maker & model yours is?

Nice back up if semi-autos and more than 10 rounds become illegal ... seen how these work in what England called the "mad minute?"

Easy_CZ likes this.
  4. Lucian_253

There is only strange WW2 like markings on it. No clear manufacturer. I tried to figure out its orgin, but failed.

5. PattonWasRight

Bummer. You're aware that many times the factories are designated with just a single number?

6. Lucian_253

I wasn't. I should dig it out and get some pics of the markings on it.

7. PattonWasRight

8. Lucian_253

9. shooter629

shooter629 Member

Have one , love It. Never did anything to it except buy some stripper clips. Great rifle.

10. PattonWasRight

Good to know, glad you like it. I'm meeting the guy this Sunday, will post up a pic shortly after that. Got any preferred place to buy Enfield accessories from?

11. GreggBates

GreggBates Member

Got my No.1 Mk.4 for my first Father's Day gift 23 years ago. Mine is a WWII veteran with all the scars! Shoots great.

PattonWasRight likes this.
  12. shooter629

shooter629 Member

Good price on eBay for stripper clips, ammo anyplace that's running a deal. Real deal parts you just have to search the web, I always keep a Firing pin an Firing pin spring on hand.

PattonWasRight likes this.
  13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting Member

Haven't picked an SMLE (Short Magazine Lee-Enfield) up yet...still looking for one at gun shows.

Also looking for a K98k Mauser with Waffenmacht stamps...

But...I do own this baby...

M1 Garand Circa November 1944...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  14. PattonWasRight

Amen to the M1. Great to have a WWII serial number, yours looks great. CMP? I have a K98 German made in Obendorf. The nazi German-made ones aren't cheap. Mine's a "revenge rifle" as it has nazi German eagle on it, partially peened out by the Israeli's and then chambered for 7.62. Not bad owning a rifle made by nazi's then used by Jews to help establish and defend their new Jewish state. Anyways, those come up for sale now and then and don't cost as much because most collectors are looking for unmodified of course. Just mentioning in case an option for you.

Just to clarify ... you have a LE now, or are looking?

I should have mine as of this Sunday

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  15. shooter629

shooter629 Member

Always wanted one ,never had the funds. Nice looking rifle!

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  16. PattonWasRight

Lee Enfield ... second only to the Mosin for the longest serving military rifle

And that .303 round is hardly a hard-to-find exotic ... plenty of options for hunting and target shooting. Game wise, can handle anything in North America

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  17. Jackster58

Jackster58 New Member

My very first deer rifle, was my Dad's SMLE that was given to me prior to my first deer hunt in 1972 and it looks much like the sporterized version shown in this thread. My dad thennpurchased a 7mm jap and then a 7mm magnum before he settled on a Rem 700 ADL in 30:06. Dad is now 88 years old and he told me the other day that the best rifle he has ever owned was that SMLE and if I wanted to trade him for his Rem he was all for it. I think Dad is fooling himself, he can't see worth crap, but last Saturday he bagged an Antelope with his 700 ADL.

The Rifle was purchased from Sears as a sporterized version in 1962. It has a butter smooth action and is very accurate (open sights). I can't think of a time that it ever failed and the recoil and performance is just short of a .308. I don't know what these are worth now days, but I can't imagine getting rid of this one for the family emotional attraction, but it is a great gun.

btw, Dad's Remington failed to feed the second round out of the magazine last week, a problem he never had with the SMLE.

SHOOTER13 and PattonWasRight like this.
  18. PattonWasRight

^^^ From what I see, Enfield Mark 1 Number 4's go from about $300 to $500

That said, they're also all over the place in general due to not just collectability, but due to all the versions out there from it's super long like of service. There's plenty of LE nuts out there wanting to collect all the different makes & models

19. Lucian_253

I have so many Garand clips it's ridicules. I should probably get the rifle.

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  20. PattonWasRight

For real? You collecting the different markings etc?