Glock Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Beretta,Glock,Smith&wesson
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I have a Glock 17 Gen 3 That i replaced the Factory/OEM/Stock Barrel with a Direct Fit Drop in Stormlake Stainless Steel Barrel, I replaced the Barrel Probably about 2011.
The Reason i Replaced the Barrel is because i was shooting Cast Lead Bullets that i used to get from a buddy who reloaded and i shot a Deep "Seated" round one time that i thought i had removed from my magazine, But unfortunately i didn't and it caused some major damage to the OEM/Stock G17 Barrel. I mean i fired it and at first i thought my Gun Blew Up Thankfully I was not hurt,Anyways Glock didn't replace my Barrel which was COMPLETELY understandable i was the one who made the mistake afterall. I also didn't read the warranty about firing Cast Lead Bullets through the OEM/Stock Glock Barrel due to the Polygonal Rifling,Please be careful peeps i have even found Deep Seated Rounds among Brand New Factory Ammunition before as well, Now i always insist on checking the ammo before i but it at the store.

So i went and bought a Storm Lake Barrel in Stainless Steel that was a Direct OEM Drop in Fit again this was in 2011, The reason i went with stormlake was because i had numerous Recommendations for them. Plus if i ever wanted to shoot Cast Lead Bullet Ammunition i don't have to think twice about due to the (non polygonal rifling of the Stormlake StainlessBarrel)
You know what was strange and maybe you guys would know why this would happen so when the Stormlake Stainless Barrel was still new to me it was making my Glock 17 gen 3 Fire off Fully Automatically without warning Thankfully it does not do that anymore I mean i wish i could have owned a Glock 18 LOL!!!!!!!!!

Do you Guys know what that phenomenon related to a knew Drop In OEM/Barrel that would be to make it do that i never figured it out? I just chalked it up to maybe some kind of microscopic Tolerance issue of maybe not quite the exact 10,000 of an inch less or more of chamber material IDK???

It is sad that Stormlake Barrels went out of business some years back i never figured out why if any of you know let me know?

Any of you guys think or know if the Left hand Twist of a Stormlake Barrel is Better or worse than the Glock 17 Gen 3 Factory polygonal Barrel in terms anything?

What is the Reason behind Left Hand Twist Barrels anyways are they suppossed to be more Accurate than Right Hand Twist Barrels or some other reason(s)?

I Personally can't tell of any difference myself I believe it's mainly the skill of the Shooter.

Finally anyone of you think that a Stormlake Barrel and/or Chamber would be Less Reliable as far as Feeding a Round or maybe somehow causing failures to eject spent casings?
I have probably close to Two Thousand Rounds since i first got the storm lake Barrel 10 years ago and i can't recall a single Failure to Feed or Eject any type of Round FMJ,Hollow Point etc.

I just keep hearing how Stormlake was Garbage or Stormlake was the Best and thought i would ask those of you that had Experience with them since most people seem to only have KKM or Lone Wolf Barrel Experience. I mean like i said i have had Great Luck and it's been over 10 years since i Dropped in this Stormlake Stainless Steel OEM/ Barrel in my Glock 17 Gen 3 and had virtually no problems aside from it turning into a Random Glock 18 LOL in the Very Beginning when i first put it in.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Yes, I’ve had to have direct fit storm lake Glock barrels fitted by a gunsmith. I also had one that would work in the 27.3, but not the 27.4, fwiw.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Welcome

From my understanding Storm Lake
,which used to be a barrel of choice for 1911's,quailty went down hill with their purchase by the Freedom group and like most of the other enterprises that Freedom had their hands in.
Thankfully Freedom sold off all of the companies they rode into the ground.

Reactions: Lucian_253

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes i am a Newbie to this Forum, Thanks for the info on the Company's downfall Too Too Bad i had only discovered their Disappearance when i did a google search recently. I mean it has been 10 years Since i last went to their website🤣

Is there any Benefit or Disadvantage to having a Barrel with a Left Hand Twist Instead of Right Hand Twist such as in the case of my Drop In/OEM Replacement Stainless Steel Stormlake Barrel vs the OEM Glock Barrel?

I've been hearing for Years that Glocks Polygonal Rifling is Superior to all other Barrel Rifling, What would you call other types of Barrel Rifling NON POLOYGONAL? Is there any proof to Polygonal Rifling being Better in anyway?

I am guessing i probably should have had a gunsmith work the SS Stormlake Barrel when i first got it because it seems like nothing even if claims to be is DIrect Drop In, It would have kept my Glock 17 from unexpected full auto fire lol as mentioned before, It no longer does that.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
37,292 Posts
Welcome aboard from North Texas!

I don’t think there’s any advantages or disadvantages to wether it’s right or left hand twist rifling.

Polygonal rifling has been used by HK and Israeli weapons but not really taken hold industry wide. Most people would say the alternate would be called traditional rifling. Now there are multiple methods on how it’s made but it has lands and grooves.
D9D670C3-D9BD-49FF-9FA0-91C080CE733D.png

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome aboard from North Texas!

I don’t think there’s any advantages or disadvantages to wether it’s right or left hand twist rifling.

Polygonal rifling has been used by HK and Israeli weapons but not really taken hold industry wide. Most people would say the alternate would be called traditional rifling. Now there are multiple methods on how it’s made but it has lands and grooves.
View attachment 244455
Glad to be here, Thanks Danzig

🤩I really do feel better hearing that HK one of the Highest Quality Gun Brands in the World uses Left Hand Twist Barrel Rifling. I was concerned that my Stormlake Stainless Barrel in my Glock 17 Gen 3 was somehow Less Superior because of it's Left Hand Twist Rifling That's some Comfort to me hearing That Man. Although i never really thought about it until recently for some reason i got it stuck in my head lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:ROFLMAO:Yeah i think my Stainless Steel Storm Lake Barrel just kinda Gunsmithed itself with rounds being fired through it because i never got it fitted by a Gunsmith:ROFLMAO: But yeah those times in the begininng when it was randomly going off full auto that i am pretty sure was just the result of me just dropping it in and not having it gunsmithed as i have mentioned before. It Does Not Do That Anymore,

Do you guys see any benefit to Purchasing a Glock 17 Gen 3 Factory Barrel from Glock ? I mean would it be more Relaiable then the Stainless Steel Stormlake? The one Disadvantage i could see is yeah i cannot shoot Cast Lead Bullets through it unless i Meticulously cleaned it after every shooting session.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
:ROFLMAO:Yeah i think my Stainless Steel Storm Lake Barrel just kinda Gunsmithed itself with rounds being fired through it because i never got it fitted by a Gunsmith:ROFLMAO: But yeah those times in the begininng when it was randomly going off full auto that i am pretty sure was just the result of me just dropping it in and not having it gunsmithed as i have mentioned before. It Does Not Do That Anymore,

Do you guys see any benefit to Purchasing a Glock 17 Gen 3 Factory Barrel from Glock ? I mean would it be more Relaiable then the Stainless Steel Stormlake? The one Disadvantage i could see is yeah i cannot shoot Cast Lead Bullets through it unless i Meticulously cleaned it after every shooting session.
I’ve had really good luck with Lone Wolf Alpha Wolf barrels. I paid less then an OEM Glock barrel for my last one.

IMG_1617597370.229929.jpg

·
Glockin’ since 1993
37,292 Posts

I don’t see a benefit over any others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts