Anyone do their own custom work?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by KeenansGarage, Dec 29, 2011.

1. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

I got to thinking, as the Gen4s come out and the Gen 2s getting cheaper, I was wondering if anyone did anything custom?
    I found some fairly cheap gen2 19 police trade-in's that might be worth me picking up one to try milling or lightening the slide, Duracoat or Cerakote, and grip stippling.

I am just daydreaming, but it's kind of like finding an old rusty car, just gotta fix it up and make it better.

Any thoughts? Pictures? Opinions?

2. IMO again let me say IMO............
    GLOCK knew what they were doing when they made it "to perfection" so when it comes to removing metal mass from the slide you are messing with the overall mass of the weapon that it was designed to have, same goes for "shaving" the frame........this is a polymer gun and it needs all the mass it can get to absorb recoil and shoot straight.
    Stippling I do not like the looks of.......BUT I understand the need for it in some applications and i understand it's purpose, it does make it nice on a hot summer day at a steel plate shoot !
    I see a reason to lighten up the internals (titanium parts) for smoother action and quicker response better follow up shots etc. etc.......
    but how fast do you really need a slide to go ???

3. Agreed...

"Well Said" and I totally agree wsar10... ;) Good Call Sir!

4. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Guess i depends what you want to do with it. IF you running a competition gun and want to run super light loads and get the fastest lock up you might want to lghten the slide, other wise, I see no reason in doin it, Start with the $0,25 trigger job and go from there.

5. KeenansGarage

Great responses! I have never done any of the above mentioned. I do shoot competitions, and a lot of limited (USPSA) shooter end up stippling the grips. Having held some, I understand why. Also, as mentioned above...living in MS, it helps on summer days!!

As far as slide lightening, I haven't tried it, but seen it done (i.e. Salient Arms etc.)

6. Boracay

Boracay ʎ ɐ ɔ ɐ ᴚ o

I do a lot of custom work to my gun. But to use it only for target shooting or competition. I leave everything in stock if its for home defense except for grip reduction & stippling.
    As mentioned above, Glock is a great gun & made to perfection.. almost. It would be perfect if they have "Asian Version" to fit small hands like mine. And just in case i might use it (I hope not), it would be in my advantage even if you just came out from the shower -- A scenario of something like that. :D:D:D

7. I do my own work, but anything on a Glock is simply for looks because it came perfect from the company. With the exception of trigger changes, I like the lower poundage.

8. Sarabian

Sarabian Slightly Opinionated

The only mods I have are extended slide release and magazine release. I really like those but I can't see doing any other modding to mine except possibly sights.

9. I thought we meant non-standard mods. If we are including sights, everything I own has Heini Straight 8 night sights.

10. KeenansGarage

Yeah, really I was referring to the non-standard modifications. I had found a gen 2 glock 19 for cheap (I haven't bought it yet), and wanted to see what everyone had done on their own. More of an 'I wonder' type of situation.

11. hermdog2004

hermdog2004 New Member

I did my own stippling, and rounded my trigger guard. Thats about it.

Attached Files:

12. hermdog2004

hermdog2004 New Member

Oh, and took out my finger grooves. I have a higher grip on the gun now too. IMO it's helped me get a better grip, and in conclusion, helped me shoot better too.

Attached Files:

13. Trotac

Trotac New Member

I usually cut off the finger grooves, the backstrap "hump", stipple the frame, undercut the trigger guard and add a beavertail to my Gen 3's. I wouldn't mess with any metal, but then again I'm not a machinist and wouldn't have a clue what I was doing. I am anxiously awaiting the Gen 4 beavertailed backstraps so that I won't have to break out the acraglass everytime I get a new Glock.

14. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

I love the look of that, how'd you do the stippling?

15. TwStps

TwStps New Member

Check out u tube under stippling. There are other cool tips as well. Do avoid the stupid stuff

16. hermdog2004

hermdog2004 New Member

Yeah I got a lot of info from youtube. That site is amazing for informational videos about almost anything related to the Glock and other pistols. But I practiced a lot because i was so worried I was gonna mess up on my pistol. and I just bought a soldering gun from radio shack and started on my project. The soldering gun was only $10. I just used the chisel tip and it looks like tree bark stippling to me.

17. KeenansGarage

Looks good! I was thinking of getting a Gen 2 to try that with, that way I didn't have to worry about the finger grooves (though I normally like them). I like how your's turned out.

18. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Chisel tip, gotcha.

I think you did a great job, I really like that 'bark' look over the more common pebble grain or dimbled style