Glock Firearms banner
101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know I’m preaching to the choir, but before all the nonsense a 1k rd case of Agulia, Winchester, Privi Partizan, etc..of 9mm fmj brass would cost me $170-$180. A 1k case of brass 556 was $299. Right at this start of the nonsense the price jumped overnight to $200-$220 for 9mm, $500 for 556. Then it became ridiculous from there. 9mm More than doubled and is currently holding at double the price. 556 is just insane.

I’m tired of it being justified as inflation and rising cost of materials. It’s not. I feel if it landed and leveled out at $250 and $400 respectively, which is still quite of an adjustment, it would be more inline with increased cost, inflation, whatever. Enough is enough now. I’m losing hope of it ever going down even close to what it was.

Monday rant over lol.
It's not just inflation. It's the huge increase in gun purchases over the last year and a half. Even though that's tapered off, we're still at much higher than 2019 levels of monthly buying from all indications. Even if a big chunk of those buyers don't shoot much, the increased numbers are significant. At the same time, there are more labor issues than ever, and policy uncertainty both fuels fear and makes gun makers do a lot of defensive things to prepare for the worst, while dealing with labor shortages.

I see that applications to law schools are up this year. That's indicative of the 2021 New Order.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,430 Posts
I know I’m preaching to the choir, but before all the nonsense a 1k rd case of Agulia, Winchester, Privi Partizan, etc..of 9mm fmj brass would cost me $170-$180. A 1k case of brass 556 was $299. Right at this start of the nonsense the price jumped overnight to $200-$220 for 9mm, $500 for 556. Then it became ridiculous from there. 9mm More than doubled and is currently holding at double the price. 556 is just insane.

I’m tired of it being justified as inflation and rising cost of materials. It’s not. I feel if it landed and leveled out at $250 and $400 respectively, which is still quite of an adjustment, it would be more inline with increased cost, inflation, whatever. Enough is enough now. I’m losing hope of it ever going down even close to what it was.

Monday rant over lol.
I think retailers are keeping prices artificially high. When I’ve been able to find S&B brass cased 9mm for $11.99/50 and .40 for $18.99/50 just this month and Winchester 5.56 @ $7.99/20 a few months back, something ain’t passing the smell test.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,430 Posts
It's not just inflation. It's the huge increase in gun purchases over the last year and a half. Even though that's tapered off, we're still at much higher than 2019 levels of monthly buying from all indications. Even if a big chunk of those buyers don't shoot much, the increased numbers are significant. At the same time, there are more labor issues than ever, and policy uncertainty both fuels fear and makes gun makers do a lot of defensive things to prepare for the worst, while dealing with labor shortages.

I see that applications to law schools are up this year. That's indicative of the 2021 New Order.
There seems to be more of a disconnect than usual this go around than in past panic buying blitzes. Ammo prices are usually tied in with firearm prices and we don’t see that this time. I’ve watched gun prices drop and some even go at or below pre-pandemic prices. Same is usually true with high cap mags and those are back to normal and bargain prices.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There seems to be more of a disconnect than usual this go around than in past panic buying blitzes. Ammo prices are usually tied in with firearm prices and we don’t see that this time. I’ve watched gun prices drop and some even go at or below pre-pandemic prices. Same is usually true with high cap mags and those are back to normal and bargain prices.
Exactly. People are kidding themselves trying to find all these legitimate reasons why. It’s simple, either pure greed or some forces behind it all creating extremely inflated prices to price people out and create lasting supply disruptions to flat out deny it. In any case time will tell.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,430 Posts
Exactly. People are kidding themselves trying to find all these legitimate reasons why. It’s simple, either pure greed or some forces behind it all creating extremely inflated prices to price people out and create lasting supply disruptions to flat out deny it. In any case time will tell.
I was working in a gun store through Obama and Trump.
The Trump slump killed a bunch of gun industry jobs as there was a huge drop in demand. No one was worried about Democrats coming for you or your guns. I had to get out of it too.
Usually retailers are in stiff competition and margins are incredibly small especially online.
There’s also no honor among thieves and retailers will lose money to drum up business. I’m not seeing that this time. I used to have lists every morning from all the distributors we dealt with. It would give you all the items available and pricing. I don’t have access to that anymore so I really can’t gauge what’s going on this time.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yesterday I heard 12 million new gun owners, and they would have bought 2 guns if they weren't out of stock on some of the popular ones. Maybe they are getting 2-3 boxes of ammo? SG, and Ammoempire are emailing me. Prices are kind of high. Proshot says, "our ammo is flying off the shelves!" So why email me if business is that good? LOL! 🤪

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,430 Posts
I decided to visit a gun shop I haven’t visited in a few months. They had a bit of a shakeup during my absence so I was wondering the possibility of prices coming down.
Well I was shocked. They were swimming in product in every category. When ammo prices started to rise last year they were a bit slow to respond. Pricing wasn’t great but it was somewhat competitive.
I guess they gave up on that. The cheapest factory brass 9mm was over $30/50!😳😱
As my buddy and I left I told him I was shocked. Internet pricing was a bargain by comparison.
I told my buddy we should check the Ace Hardware. Now when Obama was scaring everyone and pricing was going nuts the owner saw the amount of profit in ammo and started selling some. A small glass case behind the counter. Pricing was absurd but in a small town with no ammo retailers around some people bought.
I laughed out loud when I saw their prices today!
This is almost comical!
Audio equipment Camera accessory Material property Font Gadget
Rectangle Packaging and labeling Carton Box Material property
Rectangle Cosmetics Font Material property Box

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I decided to visit a gun shop I haven’t visited in a few months. They had a bit of a shakeup during my absence so I was wondering the possibility of prices coming down.
Well I was shocked. They were swimming in product in every category. When ammo prices started to rise last year they were a bit slow to respond. Pricing wasn’t great but it was somewhat competitive.
I guess they gave up on that. The cheapest factory brass 9mm was over $30/50!😳😱
As my buddy and I left I told him I was shocked. Internet pricing was a bargain by comparison.
I told my buddy we should check the Ace Hardware. Now when Obama was scaring everyone and pricing was going nuts the owner saw the amount of profit in ammo and started selling some. A small glass case behind the counter. Pricing was absurd but in a small town with no ammo retailers around some people bought.
This is almost comical!
View attachment 257695 View attachment 257696 View attachment 257697
Ouch,not at those price, let them sit on it awhile perhaps a long while.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes. What I'm seeing is that online supplies have mostly caught up and prices are lower than a couple of months ago, but retail availability for LGS that aren't big chains are such that people just wanting to buy a box or two are going to get gouged. Given the large number of new and irregular shooters out there who only buy a couple of boxes at a time, I can see why LGS find it easier to sell to them at much higher prices. Those who shoot regularly will go online. Those stuck in the middle -- wanting several boxes in person but not buying in bulk online are basically scrod.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes. What I'm seeing is that online supplies have mostly caught up and prices are lower than a couple of months ago, but retail availability for LGS that aren't big chains are such that people just wanting to buy a box or two are going to get gouged. Given the large number of new and irregular shooters out there who only buy a couple of boxes at a time, I can see why LGS find it easier to sell to them at much higher prices. Those who shoot regularly will go online. Those stuck in the middle -- wanting several boxes in person but not buying in bulk online are basically scrod.
I have not seen any bulk on line prices for 9mm that are not higher than the current prices at Academy by almost 2X, or .22lr that are not a lot higher than I can buy Federal Automatch at Walmart!

Academy has WWB 9mm for about 34 cents a round and best I find on line is generally about 60 cents a round plus shipping.

What bulk on-line sites do you suggest has better pricing ?

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,430 Posts
I think Academy is keeping a sharp eye on internet pricing. Their prices are lock step with the internet.
Any internet deals are only lasting minutes.
CABELA’S had a great email special for members about a month ago, probably lasted hours.
Locked & Loaded has had some somewhat decent deals lately.
Kentucky Gun has had sporadic specials.

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
I guess they gave up on that. The cheapest factory brass 9mm was over $30/50!
This is almost comical!
View attachment 257695 View attachment 257696 View attachment 257697
Those are crazy prices!!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Academy had 9mm Federal brass for $17.99 2 weeks ago. I think it was a 4 or 5 box limit per caliber. No .380 plinking or JHP. Plenty of 556 62gr M855, steel 223.

Buy now, when there's no toilet paper or aluminum foil the funds will be diverted to ammo.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts