Glock Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother wants me to load up some 50AE ammo for his Desert Eagle for him.
I`ve searched around, seems to me there is alot of conflict of using regular or magnum primers.
It always seems when you go into ask about this particular caliber, it turns into a pissin contest instantly.

I`ve chased the 50AE info all over the internet until i`m purple faced, and tired of the post fighting.
Any info you folks have, that actually RELOAD for the 50AE, would be greatly appreciated!

This seems to be the deepest rabbit hole i`ve ever gone down, with no bottom in sight, lol.

Thanks guys 馃槉

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No experience loading .50AE. I have done side by side comparison of standard primer vs magnum in both 9mm and .40 S&W. Same loads in each caliber with the only difference being the primers. Zero difference on the chrono.
Thanks Bolt! I`ve done testing like this in the past as well (same results in 9mm for me too),
but i`ve never tested a 50AE before. And you know how it always goes when you ask others about it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only time I have ever used magnum primers was years ago with Winchester ball powders! Esp. the 785 Win powder!
Yeah same here brother. What concerns me, is that we`ll be using ball powder in these loads. WW296 & Hodgdon H110 usually require a magnum pistol primer to ignite the load properly. Everything i`ve researched about the 50AE is very sketchy, and that`s putting it mildly. So many conflicting opinions on what people load these guns with. So my biggest problem is, the actual gun these loads will be going in, wont be here for me to test them in it. I`ve never liked reloading for others to start with, especially when i can`t test and confirm they are safe to run. Its my brothers gun, but he lives in Texas, and he can`t bring the gun with him when he comes up this summer. Now if it were a 9mm, or 45acp, i wouldn`t be nearly as concerned, but a 50AE? YIKES!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh Mate! Talk about being backed into a corner! Has he indicated, what his going to be shooting ? Bullet weight etc?
I found some factory seconds on MidwayUSA. As scarce as bullets are these days, its all i could find for him. They are 325 grain flat point.
I`m not sure what he`d be using the 50AE for, probably just some plinkin fun, a rodent gun, and a back-up home defense gun.
I think he has a 9mm, and that`s likely his carry weapon. As big as he his, i doubt he would even carry the 50AE.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's a start! I'm like you, I hate loading for anybody else !
I won`t load for anybody. But i`m trying to help my brother out. I wish he could find someone there in Texas (that he could trust) that could work up the loads for him.

Grumpy Old Man
I see your problem and I feel for you! I'm in the same boat with my Dad ! He gave up loading a while ago and it's fallen on me to do his reloading ! Fortunately he mainly shoots rimfire these days! He doesn't drive anymore and some friends take him to the local range every week! (Poor fools ) But he does own several centrefires and I have scored the job of Loading his ammo!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts