Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
End of October I'll be taking Amtrak from Kansas to Missouri, to see my uncle for his 92nd birthday party. Reciprocity between Kansas & Missouri isn't an issue - what I'm wondering is the Amtrak train itself. I've never traveled on it, but my wife & stepson recently did for a medical appointment and they both say there's no screening or X-rays or anything of the kind, like there is at any airport.
All I want to do is dress like I always do every day - with my Glock 43 in my right front pocket. and my extra mags on my belt. Except this time, I want to do it while boarding the train.
Anyone foresee any issues?

·
Registered
227 Posts
End of October I'll be taking Amtrak from Kansas to Missouri, to see my uncle for his 92nd birthday party. Reciprocity between Kansas & Missouri isn't an issue - what I'm wondering is the Amtrak train itself. I've never traveled on it, but my wife & stepson recently did for a medical appointment and they both say there's no screening or X-rays or anything of the kind, like there is at any airport.
All I want to do is dress like I always do every day - with my Glock 43 in my right front pocket. and my extra mags on my belt. Except this time, I want to do it while boarding the train.
I don’t. I haven’t travelled by train in about eight years but I’ve never gone through a X-ray of any kind

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Hi, Caz!

These links may help...

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/70079-concealed-carry/

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/baggage-policy/baggage-special-items.html

https://www.amtrak.com/firearms-in-checked-baggage

It seems that firearms are not allowed as 'carry-on'... and must be unloaded, properly cased, and shipped with checked baggage.

Maybe a call to Amtrak would be the best way to get a definitive answer regarding 'concealed carry'.

Best regards,

Bob

·
Super Moderator
76,851 Posts
I have many friends that have taken the Amtrak train from Oklahoma City to Ft. Worth, Tx. and concealed carried their firearms. They have said there are no metal detectors or anyone that checks or "No Firearm" signs. But I have not personally traveled on Amtrak. Just know guys that have.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Can I Take My Concealed Carry Gun On An Amtrak Train?
http://aliengearholsters.com/blog/concealed-carry-amtrak-train/

Carrying firearm on Amtrak
https://forum.officer.com/forum/loc.../california/154694-carrying-firearm-on-amtrak

As TheKraken mentioned, it seems that the probability of negative consequences is relatively low.

Personally, I wouldn't take the chance... I'd 'play it safe' and simply check the firearms and ammunition.

But, in this case, it's not my decision, is it?

Good luck!

Best regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I’d much rather carry my firearm on me, mainly because if I check it in my luggage it’s not in my direct control.
Still, I might be better off checking it.
I have a bit of reading to do.. thanks for the links. I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What a great forum we have. No wise cracks, just sage advice to help a brother out. The GF rocks.
Right on. All I’m trying to do is ask a simple question, and this forum never screws around with sarcasm or insults. Just simple answers and honest discussions.
I don’t miss the cranky constipated Glock forum!

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE... okay, yesterday (Sunday) I called my shooter's insurance number. I have U.S. & Texas Law Shield. I the on-call lawyer wasn't there on Sundays, so the gal I spoke with took my question (same one as my original post) and forwarded it to the lawyer.

This morning I got my answer via email. Here it is:
Doug,
I am the program attorney for Kansas and I received a request to contact you about CC on a train. As I am in trial the next two days, I wanted to get to you as efficiently as I could. It is illegal to carry a concealed firearm on a train. Similar to an airplane, you must declare it ahead of time and surrender possession and the train personnel will secure for the duration of your trip. If you need to discuss this further, call my assistant Vicky, we can do so later this week, but I will be unavailable until Wednesday.

So there's the answer, about what I figured. So far, I don't pay much attention to the signs with the gun with a slash through it... I figure "I know I'm the good guy, and it's concealed. I'll forget I have it unless the worst happens... in which case, I'm prepared". But I might be better off re-thinking that logic.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should mention, when you join up with U.S. & Texas Law Shield, you get two separate phone numbers to put into your phone's speed dial. First, is a general business-related number for questions about your account or other misc. things (this is the number I called). The other number is the important one... it goes straight to a lawyer, live in real-time, 24/7/365. The only reason you're supposed to call that number is when you have just been involved in a firearms-related incident. Hopefully I'll never call that number.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
UPDATE... okay, yesterday (Sunday) I called my shooter's insurance number. I have U.S. & Texas Law Shield. I the on-call lawyer wasn't there on Sundays, so the gal I spoke with took my question (same one as my original post) and forwarded it to the lawyer.

This morning I got my answer via email. Here it is:
Doug,
I am the program attorney for Kansas and I received a request to contact you about CC on a train. As I am in trial the next two days, I wanted to get to you as efficiently as I could. It is illegal to carry a concealed firearm on a train. Similar to an airplane, you must declare it ahead of time and surrender possession and the train personnel will secure for the duration of your trip. If you need to discuss this further, call my assistant Vicky, we can do so later this week, but I will be unavailable until Wednesday.

So there's the answer, about what I figured. So far, I don't pay much attention to the signs with the gun with a slash through it... I figure "I know I'm the good guy, and it's concealed. I'll forget I have it unless the worst happens... in which case, I'm prepared". But I might be better off re-thinking that logic.
Thanks for sharing Caz.
Ditto!

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I think you will find this article interesting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts