Any SKS owners?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by cvitter, Jun 18, 2012.

1. cvitter

cvitter New Member

I "accidentally" bought myself a Norinco SKS via Gunbroker yesterday and was just wondering how many SKS owners were also in the Glock owner camp.

2. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

"accidentally" lol. That's my new excuse.

3. Ditto!! I mean, I don't know what happen. It just followed me home!

Here is a thread on SKS's:

https://www.glockforum.com/forum/f25/sks-4847/

I was going to get one last month but car repairs came up and the little I had left over for the SKS buy I got side tracked with more ammo for my glock 21. :D

From my research they are a nice firearm to have in the collection for the price. An if you all ready have a AK then you wont have to worry about buying another different caliber round. Cause the SKS shoots the 7.62x39 round.

4. TampaBaySean

TampaBaySean New Member

I shoot an SKS ! Fun gun cheap ammo . Reliable ! Good alternative to a $750 ak47 . IMO . What did you pay for it ? Wood or composite stock ?

5. cvitter

cvitter New Member

So, it is true... sort of, I have several guns I would like to acquire if I can find them at a really good price. I will bid on several guns at a time assuming that the changes of getting a winning bid are pretty slim based on my low ball number. Last night I got "lucky" (which I put in quotes because I am not really sure if $255 was a good price or not until I get the rifle in my hands and can see if it is as nice as I am hoping).

6. cvitter

cvitter New Member

this is the auction: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=290780200

$255, wood stock, no bayonet but I don't really care. I am just hoping for a gun that is a solid, fun shooter not a collector's item. The pictures looked good enough...

7. TampaBaySean

TampaBaySean New Member

$255 is a good price depending on what shipping and the xfer are going to tack on . Is it a wood stock ? I have a composite side folder and I added a top rail for an optic but I never used one . I prefer the iron sights

8. TampaBaySean

TampaBaySean New Member

It has the bayo lug I'm sure , if you wanted , you could find one . So you at $280 . What's the transfer gonna get you for ? Seems like a nice gun to me

9. cvitter

cvitter New Member

The transfer is $30 so all told I am in it for $318 with the CC fee. It is a little more than I wanted to spend so I am hoping that she is as clean as the pictures make her look.

10. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

I have one that is Preban folding stock and detach Mags! Very nice surplus guns!

11. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

I've owned alot of SKSs ove the years, some plain jane, some beauties, and some tacticool. Currently I don't have any, but I'm getting the itch again like I might need to pick one up

12. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Yeah I have one sitting in the safe.

13. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

I've always wanted to make one w/ some modern nuances ... :D

14. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Old Chi-com SKS paratrooper (short barrel) put a UTG tri-rail on it awhile back. The factory wood stock was the worst finished stock I've ever seen. Changed to folder in '89 and added 20 round fixed mag.

image-4103295940.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  15. cvitter

cvitter New Member

Cool. Timbersmith makes some sexy looking wooden replacement stocks for the SKS: http://www.timbersmithusa.com/products/sks/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=3

I like the thumbhole stock and would consider putting one on sometime down the road. Otherwise I don't really want to do much to the gun.

The gun should be at my LGS on Thursday...

16. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

17. SteveC

SteveC New Member

Mine is wood stock Yugo M59/66A1. Love that rifle. Dead on without doing a single thing to the iron sights. Put a replacement shroud with elevated rail on for a scope, still lets me use the irons.

18. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

I have a 1972 yugo m59/66A1. I think it's the Glock of pre AK rifles. Reliable, accurate & easy to maintain.

19. Center Balanced Systems makes a nice bullpup conversion kit (no gunsmithing required).

Halfway down the page:
    http://www.cbrps.com/Products.html
    image-2455870413.jpg

At a recent gunshow in Houston, I had my eye on a converted-detachable mag, but at $385 I wasn't so excited.