Glock Forum banner

Any recommendations for a pocket pistol?

5K views 44 replies 27 participants last post by  bjk1976 
#1 ·
Was wanting to get a small backup gun that I could carry in my front pocket. I'm not really a revolver guy so would like it to be semi auto. I don't really like the ones with the milled on sights, seems like they would be hard to shoot. The ones that I've seen with real sights have been the S&W BG380 and the Sig P232(not 100% if that's what it's called). The S&W is $400 and the Sig is $600. Don't have a problem paying the $600 if the Sig is really nice. Any input will help me out tons.

Thanks in advanced.

#27 ·
I have a sig P232 and while it certainly has it's drawbacks, all in all it's a good gun and I would encourage anyone who is thinking about one to go for it. But it's not a pocket gun and it's capacity is severely limited at 7+1. I'm actually considering selling mine to get something bigger, with a more reasonable capacity. I don't pocket carry, that's not why I got it, and it's just in between niches IMHO.

#28 ·
So far after 200 rounds through the bodyguard I've had no failures of any kind. So far I'm super happy with my choice.
When I had my bodyguard I bought about 200 rounds of mixed ammo from a guy that works at a range. I probably had about 10 or so different brands of ammo, all different kinds from FMJ to semi wad cutters to hollow points. I mixed the mags up with the random ammo and the Bodyguard ran beautifully. I did have one round that didn't go off but it was a bad primer on that particular round, not the guns fault. I was very surprised with the overall feel and accuracy of the bodyguard. it's a great gun, enjoy it!

#29 ·
I have a S&W 642 air weight .38sp awesome gun love it put it in my uncle mikes pocket holster and it just disappears same with my LCP awesome gun the sights sucked when I bought it but a little of my wife's orange fingernail polish on the front sight (if you could call it that lol) solved that problem...sort of.

#30 ·
PJones said:
Was wanting to get a small backup gun that I could carry in my front pocket. I'm not really a revolver guy so would like it to be semi auto. I don't really like the ones with the milled on sights, seems like they would be hard to shoot. The ones that I've seen with real sights have been the S&W BG380 and the Sig P232(not 100% if that's what it's called). The S&W is $400 and the Sig is $600. Don't have a problem paying the $600 if the Sig is really nice. Any input will help me out tons.

Thanks in advanced.
If you like the sig. p232, try finding the older version the p230. I had a p230sl (sl = stainless), and it was a great gun, it was accurate, never had a ftf, all around a good .380. The p230 goes for around 300 to 400 dollars. It doesn't come with hogue grips, but the are easy to find. I traded mine for a Kahr pm9. Only because I also have a Walther PPKS in .380. The only thing that is a little different is the European magazine release. Which in my opinion makes it a better pocket pistol.

#31 ·
I've got my G30 in a Blackhawk size 03 Pocket Holster in the pocket of my shorts right now. It doesn't "disappear" but most folks wouldn't know what it was so it really doesn't matter. It all depends on the size of your pockets.:D

#32 ·
TNFrank said:
I've got my G30 in a Blackhawk size 03 Pocket Holster in the pocket of my shorts right now. It doesn't "disappear" but most folks wouldn't know what it was so it really doesn't matter. It all depends on the size of your pockets.:D
Diamondback 9mm. It's small. Very.
I like my bigger FN SEVEN its light as a feather but not very concealable, not cheap ammo however (5.7 x 28)

#34 ·
Diamondback 9mm. It's small. Very.
I've read many, many threads by folks who have said these guns are VERY unreliable and basically Junk. I'd personally stay away from em'. Small and Reliable, Ruger LCP but like I said before, you're banking on a 380acp to save your life. Sure, it'll kill someone but might not do it until after they kill you. I'd stay with 9x19mm or larger(45acp gets my vote) with quality HP ammo. There's no Free Lunch, you want something you can stick in a pocket you'll give up performance, you want something with a more proven track record you give up small size.

#36 ·
glocker73 said:
IMO, you would better off throwing the DB9/.380 at the bad guys than trying to shoot them! They may resemble a Glock, but just in form! Defiantly not function!!!
I have firsthand experience with the DiamondCrap DB9.

I knew of the issues with the DB380. I thought they had stuff ironed out and when I read posts on the forum, I thought I was good to go. I was not in the low serial numbers. I followed the tips of what to do before even using it.

First magazine, FTE. Second, FTF. Third magazine, FTF, etc etc. I bring it to my gunsmith. He saw the lips of the magazine were vertical, keeping the rounds more vertical. He crimped them down. It worked for 50 rounds. The feed ramp chipped. Then the pins were walking. I bought two more magazines. Same problem. Had them crimped. Fired 100 rounds, flawlessly. Then I go to shoot another 100 rounds, FTE/FTF every other round. Back to my gunsmith, a few tweaks. Then, the trigger reset stopped working. I took it back to my smith. Cracked frame. Sent to diamondback. Came back. More FTF/FTE. I finally sold it.

Advantage is the conceal ability, the weight, and the look. It was not bad as a shooter, when it did fire. I just had to give up.

The intrinsic flaw is the magazine, though the frame is weak. I DID NOT USE +P ammo.

It looks like a Glock, but it is where that stops.

I don't recommend it.

#37 ·
Own a LCP. Perfect size pocket pistol. Carry it a lot during summer. It just about disappears in a Desantis superfluous holster. BUT.....the sights are every bit as bad as you hear about. You can add CT laser grips but then you will be at the price of the Sig. So if you can go with the Sig or Smith.

#38 · (Edited)
If you read other forums you know I am selling my Ruger LCP and purchasing a Beretta Nano. Now let me play the role of the hypocrite. If you like the feel of, and will carry a .380 then by all means carry one. Do not be dissuaded by people talking down about the caliber and telling you, "The only thing I would trust my life to is a 50 BMG." There are many law enforcement agencies in Europe which use the .380 as a primary weapon for its officers. I understand American bad guys are tougher than European bad guys. James Bond carries a .380.

In the past I have instigated caliber debates because I was the butt of months of argument because I chose to carry Glock 40 S&W instead of the XD 9mm all of my friends did. Initially I was not as good a shot and was told Glocks are inaccurate or 40 is not as flat shooting as 9mm. Now I hold my own and feel the whole caliber debate is not that important. To me the whole gun argument can be broken down as follows:

1. Have a gun with you. Who cares how accurate you are with your custom 1911 and how effective the .45 is, if it is too big to have with when you needed it most. A 22 in the hand is better than a tactical 870 12 gauge at home when it is needed. I am prepared to receive the responses from people saying they conceal carry their Glock 21 Long Slide, 20 hours a day, 365 days a year. I hope to preempt that by saying, good for you, glad you can, but most people are not as awesome as you.

2. Shot placement. A .22 in the right place is better than missing with a 50 BMG. If you can accurately shoot a giant pistol and get consistent follow up shots great for you. When I bought my first Glock I couldn't. The 27 is small and the 40 is snappy, not a good combination for a new shooter. After hundreds of rounds I really like my little Glock. Whatever you choose, practice enough so you can not only accurately hit your target, but you are comfortable with multiple shots on target.

3. Ammunition choice. Modern ammunition is capable of exceeding the capabilities of the same caliber from the past. Select a good carry ammo. Higher velocity can defiantly help compensate for smaller bullet size. Hollow points will stop a person when a regular FMJ would just go right through. Youtube abounds with people testing ammo so view and make up your own mind.

4. Caliber choice. All things being equal, bigger bullets do make bigger holes.

I put caliber choice last for a reason. If the gun is to big for you to comfortably carry you won't so it doesn't matter how big your bullet is. If you can't shoot it accurately it doesn't matter how big your bullet is. If you choose unreliable ammo that doesn't go band it doesn't matter how big your bullet is.

Carry as much gun as you can, but if the size keeps you from carrying then then you either need to find a different way of carrying which is comfortable to you or think about a smaller gun.

#41 ·
One other point to make is that no handgun will stop someone like a well placed Rifle or Shotgun Round. Hahahahahahahaha

Excellent post.

Carry what feels good to you and learn to handle it well. My standard to to shoot it a minimum of 25 yards, otherwise, I don't bother. I have others that I can hit 50 or 75 yards but are impractical.

#42 ·
I too practice at 25 yards. Don't want to explain why I feared for my life from someone 75 feet away, but glad I know I can end an altercation from that far.

#43 ·
You could have saved a lot of typing by just typing the last line.
"Carry as much gun as you can, but if the size keeps you from carrying then then you either need to find a different way of carrying which is comfortable to you or think about a smaller gun."
I always tell People who ask me advise on Carrying, "It all Boils down to Carry as big a caliber that you can shoot accurately and will actually carry." For yrs I carried a 1911 then I carried a G21(BTW None were a Longslide) after they came out in 91 and then I carried a G30 after they came out and I still do. But I have many Friends who carry 380's and they feel perfectly safe with it!
If you read other forums you know I am selling my Ruger LCP and purchasing a Beretta Nano. Now let me play the role of the hypocrite. If you like the feel of, and will carry a .380 then by all means carry one. Do not be dissuaded by people talking down about the caliber and telling you, "The only thing I would trust my life to is a 50 BMG." There are many law enforcement agencies in Europe which use the .380 as a primary weapon for its officers. I understand American bad guys are tougher than European bad guys. James Bond carries a .380.

In the past I have instigated caliber debates because I was the butt of months of argument because I chose to carry Glock 40 S&W instead of the XD 9mm all of my friends did. Initially I was not as good a shot and was told Glocks are inaccurate or 40 is not as flat shooting as 9mm. Now I hold my own and feel the whole caliber debate is not that important. To me the whole gun argument can be broken down as follows:

1. Have a gun with you. Who cares how accurate you are with your custom 1911 and how effective the .45 is, if it is too big to have with when you needed it most. A 22 in the hand is better than a tactical 870 12 gauge at home when it is needed. I am prepared to receive the responses from people saying they conceal carry their Glock 21 Long Slide, 20 hours a day, 365 days a year. I hope to preempt that by saying, good for you, glad you can, but most people are not as awesome as you.

2. Shot placement. A .22 in the right place is better than missing with a 50 BMG. If you can accurately shoot a giant pistol and get consistent follow up shots great for you. When I bought my first Glock I couldn't. The 27 is small and the 40 is snappy, not a good combination for a new shooter. After hundreds of rounds I really like my little Glock. Whatever you choose, practice enough so you can not only accurately hit your target, but you are comfortable with multiple shots on target.

3. Ammunition choice. Modern ammunition is capable of exceeding the capabilities of the same caliber from the past. Select a good carry ammo. Higher velocity can defiantly help compensate for smaller bullet size. Hollow points will stop a person when a regular FMJ would just go right through. Youtube abounds with people testing ammo so view and make up your own mind.

I put caliber choice last for a reason. If the gun is to big for you to comfortably carry you won't so it doesn't matter how big your bullet is. If you can't shoot it accurately it doesn't matter how big your bullet is. If you choose unreliable ammo that doesn't go band it doesn't matter how big your bullet is.

Carry as much gun as you can, but if the size keeps you from carrying then then you either need to find a different way of carrying which is comfortable to you or think about a smaller gun.

#44 ·
TNFrank said:
I've read many, many threads by folks who have said these guns are VERY unreliable and basically Junk. I'd personally stay away from em'. Small and Reliable, Ruger LCP but like I said before, you're banking on a 380acp to save your life. Sure, it'll kill someone but might not do it until after they kill you. I'd stay with 9x19mm or larger(45acp gets my vote) with quality HP ammo. There's no Free Lunch, you want something you can stick in a pocket you'll give up performance, you want something with a more proven track record you give up small size.
I don't disagree. Many carry the diamondback. I have never shot one but hear better things. Regardless Ruger is much more reliable. But I'm agreeing. Carry a more powerful round that's where my 9 or FN comes in

#45 ·
Casey Tripp said:

Smart man ..........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.