Any recommendations for a pocket pistol?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by PJones, Jul 5, 2012.

1. PJones

PJones New Member

Was wanting to get a small backup gun that I could carry in my front pocket. I'm not really a revolver guy so would like it to be semi auto. I don't really like the ones with the milled on sights, seems like they would be hard to shoot. The ones that I've seen with real sights have been the S&W BG380 and the Sig P232(not 100% if that's what it's called). The S&W is $400 and the Sig is $600. Don't have a problem paying the $600 if the Sig is really nice. Any input will help me out tons.

Thanks in advanced.

2. runman

runman New Member

Can't tell you much about the guns you mentioned, but I just got a Kel Tec PF9. Haven't got to shoot it yet but it gets mixed reviews. Here's a nice chart to compare sizes. I know that was a big factor for me.

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

3. Glocku

Glocku No warning shots here

I too was looking at the Sig p238 and ended up getting a Kahr p380 and I'm so happy I went with it honestly it is almost my favorite handgun. The recoil on it is so smooth and not snappy for how small it is. Why I didn't go with the sig is I really didn't want to carry a pocket pistol cocked and locked also in an emergency situation I didn't want to have the option of forgetting the safety on it. But the sig looks cool like a baby 1911 but the kahr is like a baby glock. But hey whatever you are comfortable with is what you want. But look at the Kahr I'm sure you won't be disappointed with it. And the Kahr is around the same price as the sig as well. Good luck.

4. Two-Guns

Two-Guns New Member

For a pocket gun I love my Keltec P3AT. You can get them for less than $250.

5. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

I use the Kahr CM9 when I want to pocket carry. It's not bad but I wish glock made one that was a good size for that.

6. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

It really depends on what you want to spend. On the lower end there is the Ruger LCP, or the P3at. I also have read that the Hellcat .380 is good. Spending more money you can get the Sig's, or the Colt Mustang. I personally carry a Kahr pm9 in a Desantis Nemesis holster and love it.

7. Grabber GT

Grabber GT New Member

Ohio
    Beretta Nano, XD-9 subcompact or maybe S&W M&P Shield. Or even a Glock 36. Not a fan of the Kahr but I'm sure they are nice pistols too.

8. Two-Guns

Two-Guns New Member

All of those guns you mentioned seem way to big for pocket carry.

9. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Well-Known Member

I have a Sig P938 and P238. Excellent guns. Easy to conceal.

10. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

My father has a Beretta Tomcat in 32 ACP. He loves that little thing and it's very easy to stick in your pocket. I've seen him shoot it and for such a small handgun he shoots it VERY well!!!

11. wnctroutbum

wnctroutbum New Member

I carry a ruger LCP as a pocket gun and really like it.

12. Depends on the size of your pockets.LOL. I've actually carried my G30 in the pocket of my jean shorts but those pockets are pretty good size.
    I'd think for "normal" pocket size something like the Ruger LCP would work out ok. Just be aware that you'll be dealing with a 380acp so you'll not have the "punch" that you normally would in even a small holster gun like a Glock G26 or G27.
    Personally I'd rather find a small gun that I shoot well(pocket size or not) and then adapt my carry methods to it rather then trying to find a gun that will fit into the carry method that I want to use.
    I had a S&W 642, 38spl +P Airweight, sweet little gun to carry, had DeSantis Clip Grips on it so I could IWB without the need for a holster, didn't even know it was there most of the time. Problem was I had trouble keeping 5 shots on a 8"x12" piece of notebook paper at 7 yards. I can cut 1"-1.5" groups for 10 shots out of my G30 at that range and with a good IWB holster it's just as easy to carry and I've bumped up from 38spl to 45acp to boot.
    I think it's easier to get the gun that you shoot well and can hit with then figure out how to carry it instead of picking a carry method then try to find a gun that'll work. JMHO, YMMV.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  13. runman

runman New Member

I'm still learning but this sounds like very good advice. Thanks

14. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Well-Known Member

The 232 is no pocket carry gun. The P238 IS and it is what I carry as backup to a Primary. My primary can be a multitude of other calibers or platforms (revolver or Semiauto).

The P238 is a great gun that handles recoil well. I'm able to easily do controlled pairs out to 25 yards on a 10" target. Magazines can be expensive ($35). I use Buffalo Bore 90 grain +P.

15. IMO, if your looking for a true pocket gun that closely resembles Glock, I would have to say that would be the Kahr PM9/CM9. They are very nice guns! Perfect size for the pocket. Great sights and low recoil for a gun that small. However, it has a different trigger design than Glock. It is a striker fire, but the pull mimics a double action revolver, but lighter(long pull).

16. PJones

PJones New Member

Well I finally had the chance to go to the range and check out all the guns. I've got a buddy who works there that said as long as I bought the ammo he would let me try out whatever guns I wanted to. I ended up really liking the S&W Bodyguard 380. Here some pics off it.

image-1243066516.jpg

Next to my G17
    image-2875669092.jpg

First 6
    image-2303444026.jpg

Next 100
    image-646660178.jpg

I like the trigger on it. It's a real long DA with a smooth break. Surprised me every time it went off. It was weird switch to my glock though. Lol the trigger felt extreme light. So far after 200 rounds through the bodyguard I've had no failures of any kind. So far I'm super happy with my choice.

17. Tape

Tape New Member

you cannot do any better than the Kel-Tec P11, about the size of the S&W Bodyguard 380 and holds 13rounds with a lifetime warranty for about 250$ new

18. casey97

casey97 New Member

Carried a Ruger LCP for a while. Used a pocket/wallet holster. I barely knew I had it on. Dissatisfied with the .380 ballistics at a recent range trip. Now selling it to a friend. Using the proceeds of sale to buy a Beretta Nano.

In preparation for the Nano I have purchased 300 rounds of range ammo 100 each of Winchester white box, Tulammo, and Federal. I also have attempted to purchase my future carry ammo, Hornady Critical Duty 9mm +P. I have to say attempted because several places I have been to are sold out and have it on back order.

19. FOSJosh

FOSJosh New Member

Some people dislike Taurus but I have the Slim 709 9mm which has been an immaculate pistol. Good size & weight and they also come in 40 cal.

20. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

My boss swears by his Taurus pistols. Says they are the best for his money.