Any Multi-Tool Junkies?

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords and Sheaths' started by CCSir, Oct 6, 2018.

1. CCSir

CCSir Well-Known Member Supporter

Ohio
    Yes, dedicated tools are always better for any job, but in my opinion you just can’t beat the functionality of multi-tools.

IMG_1640.jpg

j102, Greywood, Bayou and 3 others like this.
  2. Mongoose

Mongoose Member

Yes sir. I keep a Leatherman in my range bag, in my blind bag, in my tackle box and in my vehicles. Also have my keys attached to a small Leatherman.

CCSir likes this.

3. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Gen 3 G19 Shooter Supporter

Not a "junkie" per-se, but I do have half a dozen Leatherman's, a couple Gerber's, Kershaw's, and a CRKT ToolZilla. I do appreciate a good multi-tool.

Bayou and CCSir like this.
  4. MWJOHNSON

MWJOHNSON Republic Of Texas & 50K Contest Winner Member Supporter

SE Texas
    Only own 1, but love my Leatherman Sidekick

Bayou and CCSir like this.
  5. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the leatherman Wave, signal, Skeletool REI exclusive, charge ALX, the Tread LT bracelet, style cs, and the original one that came in leather case. I also have one gerber that was a gift.

IMG_1539817914.799824.jpg

Will post pics of others when I get home.

j102, Greywood, Bayou and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

I have cheap mini “knockoff” brand multi-tools in both my AR range box and my pistol range bag. I’ve found that the small ones are actually better sized for any gun related things that come up, which is really not very often since I have a Glock tool and a few Allen wrenches in there already. I also have an old Leatherman I keep in my truck, but I do need to get another one to keep inside the house since I’m always going out to the truck to get the old one to use for home related repairs. I’ll probably get a Wave + sometime soon. I’ll think about the Charge + TTI, but not sure if I can justify the extra expense over the Wave + since they basically perform the same functions.

Greywood likes this.
  7. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    I have a couple of name brand multi tools. Keep one in the range bag. One in the living room and one in the garage. I have a few small multi tools on my keychain and in my truck. 0274A657-274B-49A8-BEDC-43A00357443D.jpeg
    My visor in the truck. Glock tool, dagger, pen, light, knife screwdriver combo, bottle opener and earplugs. 7034451A-AE5F-4DA0-B447-DDC02FA281CC.jpeg

j102, Greywood, Bayou and 1 other person like this.
  8. Lucian_253

I’m thinking the leatherman mut eod will be my next one.

IMG_2828.jpg

Greywood, CCSir, Bayou and 1 other person like this.
  9. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

I ended up going with a Leatherman Charge + AL, but not the Charge + TTI. The only thing the Charge + AL complete kit did not have that I would ever use my multi-tool for is an awl for getting screws started. I ended making an awl from the #1 side of the Pozi bit in the bit kit using my Dremel tool. I still have the #2 Pozi bit on the opposite side, but I don't recall ever seeing a single Pozi screw in anything I have ever worked on.

Greywood likes this.
  10. 34MOS

34MOS Well-Known Member Supporter

Just 1 I think 0BA0D50D-B102-4FD5-9FED-B135E2A4E585.jpeg

Bayou, Greywood and Lucian_253 like this.
  11. Lucian_253

Pozi can be used for some philips & square drive or Robert’s?

12. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

I know there is some, but not complete compatibility between Phillips & Pozi, but I haven’t been able to confirm since I’ve never come across any Pozi screws. I’ve come across only a few square/Roberts drive and there is also some compatibility between those and regular flat head. It seems like Torx is being used more & more as time goes on.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    Lucian_253 likes this.
  13. Lucian_253

I only use Robert’s or Torx these days.

14. 3404speed

3404speed Well-Known Member Supporter

I tell you what, i gotta give gerber props, had a pair of gerber auto pliers thats was about 15 years old. had been tore up for about 10 years. The button to release the the pliers broke and wouldnt allow the pliers to retract into the handles and stay closed. A few months ago for the hell of it i sent them a picture of the bad button and the story of having it for so long, without hesitation they sent me a new pair! Of course not the same as mine was discontinued but they sent me the gerber diesel multi tool free of charge, now thats customer service!

BD2E853A-CAA1-4353-A01A-34B2581AD2DF.jpeg

87F2C7C7-94A7-4F2E-B1FD-971C760746B4.jpeg

7FBAC0D8-FB59-493E-8227-2AFF7B9A80FC.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    Sparky_D, Bayou, j102 and 3 others like this.
  15. Greywood

Greywood Low speed High drag Supporter

GA
    Gerber has improved alot ! They dropped the ball for awhile, but they are making a comeback! More USA made stuff and better quality control and great customer service....as mentioned above.

Sparky_D, Bayou, Danzig and 1 other person like this.
  16. Greywood

GA
    How do you like the Tread? I've been debating getting one for awhile now.

17. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Well-Known Member

I have a couple but never gave them much thought. I always had the idea that it was just enough to get you in more trouble than you were already in. The pliers, and cutting edge are useful, but the rest other than an adjustment or quick fix (I guess what they are meant for), they weren't too hot a commodity.
    On a side thought. I have a pair of smooth jaw channel locks. 5 1/2 inch IIRC and they are a great little addition to the EDC category. They travel with me a lot and have saved the day a few times. The smooth jaws don't have the bite, but don't damage what you grab either.

18. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Well-Known Member

19. Lucian_253

I like it a lot, but don’t use it much. It’s more of an emergency tool that is man jewelry.

Sparky_D, Danzig and Greywood like this.
  20. Greywood

GA
    Like a flashlight i never have a multi tool when I need one so this may solve that problem...lol

Danzig likes this.