Any Docs out there? Shooting while Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by series11, Jun 7, 2012.

1. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

Just a question as I have been hearing yes and no, and being from the People's Republic of California the doctors are scared if you mention the word "Gun".:rolleyes:

2. TxShooter

TxShooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

We didn't do it, but it had more to do with lack of available time.

3. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I'm not doctor, I don't play one on TV, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. Once upon a time, long, long ago, in several states that are and are not far, far away, I was an EMT and a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy...

The big risk is lead. If you shoot lead free ammo, that would be better. Wear rubber gloves, and preferably long sleeves, when shooting. Wear rubber gloves when cleaning. Wear rubber gloves when handling ammo. Don't shoot bullets that aren't jacketed, including plated bullets, and the vast majority of .22s. Don't have long shooting sessions, especially at indoor ranges, unless they have some super-mega ventilation system. And really, even then, you're better off outside. Wear a mask, the kind of basic ones you'd wear for painting/sanding/etc. or that people with respiratory infections wear in hospitals.

Wash your hands and face immediately after shooting (before you leave the range, if possible) and don't forget neck, ears, etc...all exposed skin. Wash your hands after cleaning or handling guns/ammo. Do not touch your face with dirty hands. All of this is doubly important if you have any open cuts on your hands. When done with everything, shower to get the residue out of your hair.

When it comes to gun stuff and ranges, hand sanitizer is not sufficient. It won't remove lead. Soap and water are required. Wash thoroughly. When you think you're done, start again. No, I'm not kidding. After the soap is rinsed off, get some more and do it again.

However careful you are normally, be doubly careful.

When you get home from shooting, change your clothes immediately after you've washed your hands and face. If you can change before you leave the range, even better. Whatever is on your clothes from the range is going to get into your car, and will be there waiting for you next time. If you can put your shooting clothes straight into the washer, great. If not, remember they're there when you go to do laundry and wash your hands after handling them.

I would imagine you know that anything that gets into mommy's body gets into baby's body, so keep that in mind...you're either handling or otherwise being exposed to lead, gun powder and some seriously nasty cleaning chemicals.

There's no reason not to shoot and if it's a stress reliever for you, then it's even more important to keep it up. You just have to be aware of what your exposed to and take appropriate precautions.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  4. series11

Hey thanks, that was some of the stuff I heard, more of the lead issue. It really is a stress reliever and one I direly need after work but I should have been clear that I was asking for my wife who likes to shoot on occasion. She will probably have to wait a long while to shoot. I kind of figured about the cleaning but I doubt she would want to wear gloves and all that. Thank you for your input!!!:)

5. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

No problem. It's easier to use the generic "you" in answering those questions, but it does apply to you too...follow all of the above rules before you touch her skin after shooting! Little things you might not think of, like taking off your shirt when she's nearby, can transfer lead and other stuff to her...shirts and jackets are the biggest culprits, especially t-shirts, because of the "violent" action when taking them off or tossing them in the hamper/on the floor. Any lead particles on your clothes can/will become airborne and she can inhale it. Same at laundry time, if she's handling your shooting clothes.

I tend to go above and beyond with this stuff when dealing with sensitive populations; most people will do 10% of it at best. The more you do, the lower the risk of it becoming a problem.

6. series11

Ok I will be more careful. Sadly I haven't really shot in a long while so nothing has been transferred but I will be more careful from now on.

7. TampaBaySean

TampaBaySean New Member

What about the extremely loud sounds ? And the inhalation of the gunpowder ? I wouldn't think that would be real good for u

8. EvilD

EvilD New Member

I would avoid it in the first and last trimester, while the womb is comfortable and safe, nobody knows for sure if it will filter the sound. I work in a hospital with a lot of doctors, how ever I avoid ob/gyn like the plague, other wise I would get a definiie answer for some fo them. I could ask the Neuro Surgeons I work with, but they wouldn't have a clue.

9. I agree never thought it was a good idea for my wife to shoot during her pregnancy. Lead was my concern as well. And 9 months later she arrived.

ForumRunner_20120608_142552.jpg

10. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

That's awesome!! Congratulations!!!

11. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I thought we only had to worry about lead in california????

"WARNING: This product contains chemicals, including lead, known to the State of California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling."

JK JK JK JK :D:D:D

Wash hands twice… that is the rule, and for the love of all things good, don't put the bullets in your mouth… (see it more than i care to share…)

Good luck with the baby and congrats!!!!