Glock Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ,
Just moved to fl near Tampa and I am thinking of learning how to reload!
I have a G23 and G29 and like to save some money and shoot more !
Anyone know of any classes offered for this ?

·
If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it!
1,000 Posts

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
Never took a class, most good reloading manuals have detailed instructions and info in the front of their books. I think between a couple three reloading manuals, YouTube and this forum you should be able to do it on your own without going to a class.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TNFrank said:
Never took a class, most good reloading manuals have detailed instructions and info in the front of their books. I think between a couple three reloading manuals, YouTube and this forum you should be able to do it on your own without going to a class.
Just thinking with the 40 and 10mm loads being so powerful that I would want to learn the correct way the first time and to not learn the hard way and blow up a 10mm in my hand ! LoL

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
Just thinking with the 40 and 10mm loads being so powerful that I would want to learn the correct way the first time and to not learn the hard way and blow up a 10mm in my hand ! LoL
I started with a Lee Loader loading 357Mag ammo,LOL. Talk about powerful. Really though, just follow the instructions in the books and don't deviate from the powder charges and you'll be fine.

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
If you just take it in steps and don't look at the entire picture it's not hard to reload at all.
First thing, tumble your brass to clean it up. When that's done then you're ready to deprime and size the cases, put the shell holder into the press, adjust the die according to the book and resize and deprime your cases. Now install the belling die and put a small flare/bell on the cases so the bullet will go in easier.
Ok, now you're ready to prime your brass, I use an RCBS Handi-Prime so I just sit at the dinning room table and dump the proper amount of primers on a folded up paper towel then one primer at a time I put them into the Handi-Prime tool and prime my cases. Just make sure they're in enough but not in too much, you'll get a feel for it after a few cases.
Now for the fun part, powder, bullet, seat and crimp. Adjust your powder measure so it'll throw the proper amount of powder, use the book to determine this amount and a powder scale to check it on. Once your powder measure is adjusted right then you can put your seating/crimping die into the press. I normally leave the die out a bit so as not to crimp the case until I get the OAL(Over All Length, it's in the book.) of the cartridge where I want it. Once you've got a single cartridge to proper OAL then I back off the seater and put the cartridge into the shell holder, run it all the way up and adjust the die until it touches the case, then in 1/8th turn. Crimp the case and give it a look, does it look like it's crimped enough, if not give it another 1/8th turn. Crimp it again and if it looks good then lock the die into the press, and with the cartridge up into the die adjust the seater down until it touches the bullet. Now you should be ready to load your ammo. Don't forget to put your powder into the case BEFORE you seat and crimp a bullet. I know that sounds crazy but I've seen folks not drop a load of powder into a case before, it can happen so make sure to look into each case to make sure you've dropped the powder charge.
Measure the OAL of the first few rounds to double check that they're where you want them to be, if all looks good then you're ready to have at it and load all your rounds.
No class needed, just a bit of reading and some common sense, LOL. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.