any bow hunters out there??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by shiflet, Jun 8, 2012.

1. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Looking for a couple accessories for my bow wondering if anyone has any input..?

Quiver
    Stabilizer
    Possibly a new release

Don't really NEED them just wanna change it up a little...

What's the best option for my wallet and for quality???

2. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

Of course we do :D
    On the quiver, comfort and weight is the most important to me, and a silent QD system

On the stabilizer, I prefer a short hydraulic one for hunting.

On the release, I use a Scott Tru Fire system I went through a bunch of different ones before I found the one that fit my hand the best.

3. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Me and my hands… traditional recurve bow… i don't like fancy new gizmos… JMO

4. shiflet

shiflet New Member

What do you mean by silent qd ?? What kind of bow do you shoot? Also what brand of quiver and stabilizer do you have??

5. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

QD quick detach

6. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I bowhunt, been collecting bows since I was young. The compound bow I'm using right now is a 70# Mission Maniac, by Matthews.
    I have a Matthews 5 arrow, quick detach quiver on it. The stabilizer is just a cheap shorty, works fine & fits in the hard case without having to dismount it.
    I use a Scott S-Horn release, which was pretty pricey, but I really like it.

I really can't recall off hand exactly how much I paid. I'll give it some thought though, I've got all the paperwork somewhere in a file. I'll post back when I find it.

7. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

I shoot a Hoyt Ratpture, changed out both speed cams to get a 28" draw 325 fps at 85lbs. The stabilizer is an X-Ring, the Quick disconnect quiver made my Hoyt and here is the rest I use. shoot 24" arrows with no over draw.and 125 grain Thunderheads, Old school....

Attached Files:

8. shiflet

shiflet New Member

I shoot a completley stock Martin phantom 2. I've only used it for hunting. I'm wanting to get into more target shooting just for something to do.

9. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Its been awhile since I've pulled my bow out, so I had to check. Here are the three things you asked about that I have on my hunting setup

TRU Ball Loop master
    Kwikee 3 arrow quiver
    Limbsaver stab

Attached Files:

10. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Ya I haven't shot mine since January of 2011 when I shot my buffalo

11. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

8 years for me

No kidding? Buffalo?

12. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Very much a meat hunt. Still a little nerve ratteling. But way better than hitting up the store for meat lol

.facebook_59506.jpg

13. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

That's awesome

14. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Random stupid question...

Is there even a reason to have a stabilizer?? Will it actually make a difference?

15. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

Yes, there are several reasons to have a stabilizer, and they can make quite a difference.

Canceling out noise, and vibration dampening are two functions they provide. And a well designed stabilizer with a weighted end can provide better balance, helping you to maintain a good followthrough on your shots. Tuning the right stabilizer to your bow can be tedious though. It's helpful to have a friendly archery shop, with knowledgeable people to assist. The best way to see the difference is to shoot with one mounted for a couple of weeks, then take it off & shoot without it. You'll feel it in your grip hand, & your shot groups won't be as tight. The one I have isn't the longest, or shortest, or the coolest looking. But it works pretty good, and fits in my hardcase while mounted on the bow.

16. odgreen

odgreen Senior Member

I'm the same way. Love my Hoyt recurve. I tried a compound but kept shooting bullseyes with no effort. There is no sport in that IMHO.

17. odgreen

odgreen Senior Member

I've shot with and without stabilizers and actually prefer the smooth transition on my recurve from shot to follow through. The stabilizer, although adding overall weight, redistributes the absorbed energy of the bow and allows the shooter a more fluid shot. I don't hunt so I can't speak to that aspect but the "twang" of the string after a shot is greatly diminished using a stabilizer.

18. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Anyone know about how often you need to replace the string/cables on your bow??

19. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Depends... How often they are used and how well they are cared for...

20. shiflet

shiflet New Member

What can you do to care for the string particularly??