Any advise?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by jmiles50, Apr 23, 2012.

1. jmiles50

jmiles50 New Member

I know this forum is for Glock, but I have an issue w an FN barrel. My buddy liked my polished Glock barrel, and wanted me to do his FN barrel. The finish on this thing is so incredibly strong. After the Glock method of polishing didn't work, I took it to my gunsmith, and he couldn't do much damage w his buffing wheel. Any advise on getting this thing nice and shiny?

Attached Files:

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Any idea what the finish is !?

3. jmiles50

jmiles50 New Member

No, just the factory FN finish. I was thinking about some wet/dry sand paper then mothers.

4. Be careful, if you do it wrong it will be scratched pretty much for good. A buffing wheel isn't going to do much, neither is the sand paper. You need a dremel and a polishing stone (looks like a thick, smooth cutting wheel). At around 4.5k RPM and no downward pressure you want to go toward the front of the barrel, parrell to the barrel. One line at a time, only this direction not back and forth. after several passes, wet sand it 1,000 grit the same one, one direction. Then repeat. Do this about 20 times, then switch to a felt buffing tip (round, not the wheel kind) and jewlers rouge. Wet sand 3-5 passes in between each polish coat.

You are going to do this maybe 30 times. Then you want to wash with hot water and dish soap, dry, and polish with mothers by hand.

5. jmiles50

jmiles50 New Member

How much to just send it to you?

6. $25. 7-14 day turnaround. Possibly faster depends on how fast i get through the current orders.

7. jmiles50

jmiles50 New Member

I think I'm just gonna send it to you. I need this to be perfect.

8. I'll get it done for you. It's easier than it seems, it just takes the experience of working with different metals.

9. TampaBaySean

TampaBaySean New Member

at $25 it seems to be worth not chancing messing it up

10. Yep it's on it's way. $25 is my standard rate for polishing barrels. I like to keep the pricing down because I enjoy it and it makes things like this affordable for the community :)