Ankle Carry

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by mritim, May 31, 2012.

1. mritim

mritim New Member

Does anybody here use the Galco Ankle Glove for a G26? I've been eyeing it online and am considering it, but I'd like to hear some real world experiences.

I use a Blackhawk owb when it's cool enough for a jacket or vest. I've used a Crossbreed Supertuck for a couple years, and I like it. It's comfortable enough, but with dress clothes (what I am wearing daily), shirt tucked in, there is still too much 'bulk'. The shirt just bunches up around the holster, feeling sloppy and obvious. Plus, a shirt tucked in makes it difficult to get to the firearm quickly. Cannot carry at work, so putting together the Supertuck after work to go anywhere other than home is a huge hassle. I find myself (gulp) unarmed.

So I'd like to know of others' experiences with an ankle holster, positives and negatives. Thanks.

2. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Ankle carry is for a back up weapon, you'll end up dead by the time you access it as your primary weapon.

3. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Evil D is just silly!
    That being said ankle carry is not optimal for carry and is usually reserved for a backup gun. I carried one on duty as a backup. Small 5 shot revolver concealed extremely well. I got one for my subcompact Glock. It wasn't comfortable and didn't conceal well. After wearing guns on and off for the last 20 years I've learned that one holster that may be great for you may be terrible for me or the other way around. Some people love shoulder holsters they didn't work for me.
    Back to ankle carry. If it conceals well and is comfortable, go for it. If you go that route you need to practice the draw which can be found online and in print. Draw backs are; certain pants can't cross legs while sitting (gun will be exposed), guns usually get dirtier depending on environment you're in and awkwardness of draw in certain spaces.

First rule of a gunfight is to have a gun.
    Subsection (a). Loaded.

4. Gun_Aficionado

Gun_Aficionado King of my Castle until my wife comes home Lifetime Supporting Member

Wow surprised on the crossbreed issue. I use white hat holster and it works great! I tuck at work ( slacks and collard long sleeve shirt) and carry my G17G4 with lightgaurd and laser grips no bulk no bunch. I am not a big guy either 5'11 160lbs. May have to do with position / cant? I was curios on the ankle holster as well for a G26G4 or G3. I have been wanting to add to family.... And use as a BUG not primary. Primary for me is always IWB my G17G4 or G19C.

5. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

Pics please? How do you conceal a full size under a tucked shirt? Haha

6. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Not that hard...
    Put on crossbreed super tuck, put gun in holster, tuck in shirt...

Some people can pull it off others cant...

I carry my G22 like that when I am at home. OC everywhere else. Cant CC till I am 21. :)

7. mritim

mritim New Member

That's my concern with my shirt tucked in around the weapon and the holster.

8. EvilD

EvilD New Member

silly, really, if you were closer i would demonstrate how fast I could stab you in the spin or kick your face in(not really, you know what I mean) while you were trying to clear leather. You either have to bend over to get your weapon, just plain stupid idea, or bring your leg up and be off balance. Ankle carry is the only carry worse than sob.

9. Agreed.

Ankle carry you might as well not carry at all.

10. To the OP: Do what you think is best for *YOU*, even if it goes against some forum members' beliefs/opinions. If you feel an ankle holster best fits your needs, I say go for it. It might not be ideal, but at least it's something that enables you to have a firearm on your person more often. Another method you may not have considered is a fanny pack. Can get one that's higher-end to blend in with your more formal attire, without drawing attention but still being more easily accessable than an ankle holster. Just throwing out ideas for you. Hope this helps in some small way. Wish you luck in getting a setup that works well for you! Please keep us informed of how things work out.

11. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I agree! I would rather you ankle carry then not carry at all...

12. Flairsr

Flairsr New Member

I ankle carry at work everyday, I have to lift, stretch and all kinds of nonsense that makes IWB not very practical. When I'm not at work I carry IWB though.

13. TampaBaySean

TampaBaySean New Member

I just posted a pic of mu Kahr P9 in an ankle holster . I also have one for my G26 . I live in FL so long pants aren't that frequent ! Mines a desantis though .

14. Gun_Aficionado

Gun_Aficionado King of my Castle until my wife comes home Lifetime Supporting Member

Will post tomorrow. I need to have wife take the pics.

15. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

I can think of several different jobs or positions I might have to be in that would make ankle carry a good idea! Also if I am with in 10 feet I don;t think it will matter where you are carrying concealed you will definitely be at a disadvantage! Where do you live I might be up for a good demonstration!;)

16. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Burbs of Buffalo, save the comments, I know Buffalo sucks.

17. Gun_Aficionado

I just ordered a remora 3 in one holster for my new G26G3 will let you know how it feels looks and functions ( guess you would call that a review)....

18. casey97

casey97 New Member

I don't know about ankle carry.

Bad Guy, "Gimme your wallet!"

You, "Let me tie my shoe first."

Plus it just looks funny when I wear my shorts.

19. Sarabian

Sarabian Slightly Opinionated

I have carried my Taurus 85CH Stainless on the ankle using an Uncle Mike's ankle holster. It actually seems to be pretty stable and doesn't move around on my boot as I go through my day. I wouldn't mind having a better one, but none of the others I tried were better, and they were a LOT more expensive. Also, I don't ankle carry every time I put on the uniform, so I didn't think the investment was worth it since the Uncle Mike's does the trick.

Mine is carried solely for backup.

20. Gun_Aficionado

Here are the picks sorry for delay...

Attached Files: