AN ONLINE GUIDE TO RELOADING for all....

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Happysniper1, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Found this online, think it may help all of those beginning to get into hand loading, as well as those thinking of getting into it but confused as to what is involved....

http://www.rcbs.com/guide/

2. Thanks for this, HS. I for one am just starting out in reloading and having nobody nearby to learn from has certainly been a hindrance.

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Remember: if you have any questions, feel free to post them here, and you will receive a LOT of information from Members....

Cheers!

4. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

As a matter of fact we use their equip to teach the reloading class we put on for our gun club members.

Good site and friendly knowledgable ;)folks.

5. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

I am contemplating on reloading, thanks for the link!!!

6. ZombieNinja

ZombieNinja New Member

Just finished setting up my first reloading station in our new war room! Very excited indeed! Being our first guns n' ammo room, any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Yes we painted the room with this intent and the kicker... It was her idea, "Let's make a war room!" she said. Love my gal

image-534604183.jpg

7. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

I just got the same reloader. It is my first one. I had to order new parts for it tho. The housing for the rod that makes it rotate and the plastic square inside the housing was striped out pretty bad. ( i bought it used

8. ZombieNinja

ZombieNinja New Member

Very nice. Made my first batch of hand loads. 9mm Speer gdhp 124gr. Accurate #5 @ 5.3gr. Everything went smooth after the first 8-10 rds. Needing some slight tweaking to OAL and got good repeatable loads after that. Pretty happy with this setup even though it's not the top Dillon fast as hell load a ton of rounds type unit. maybe after a year or two. Heres a photo

image-3758397357.jpg

9. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

....pretty soon, you'll be buying 100-round ammo boxes, and bullets by the 500....Cheers!

10. ZombieNinja

ZombieNinja New Member

Oh yeah! Already on the way to that and happily! Not having to buy expensive hp's and target ammo is awesome! Plus I can start filling my ammo cans and build a supply cache!

11. ZombieNinja

ZombieNinja New Member

Hey Sniper, do you know if federal HST's can be purchased for reloading??

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Dont know off hand, sorry. Worth checking into, though!

13. trex1310

trex1310 Heart Of Dixie

I don't consider myself an expert, but I have been
    reloading for 40+ years. If I can help a new reloader
    with reloading questions I will gladly do my best.

14. pjhorns

pjhorns New Member

I'm reading "The ABCs Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide for Novice to Expert" by Rodney James. Can't say it's a great book or not as it's my 1st foray into understanding what it takes to reload.

So far I love it and looks like I'll be heading down this path to support my G19 habit :)

Can anyone recommend a good, updated loading manual?

15. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

As far as technical data and a wide range of loads presented, I personally like Richard Lee's Modern Reloading. Just try not to vomit on the overabundance of "Lee-this and Lee-that is better than any other brand of this-and-that" propaganda, and you will find it a valuable source for load data as well as case technical data.

Believe it or not, it is the only book I have found that covers loads using Plated bullets (such as Berry's).

As you get deeper into the hobby of reloading (a nice way of saying "getting addicted to reloading" LOL!) you will amass quite a collection of reference books. I have the Speer Vol 13 and Vol 14, the Barnes reference, and several others, including reloading data sheets from powder manufacturers (such as Zip and Accurate, Hodgdon and Winchester).

One thing you will notice is that the recipe for some common loads (for instance, 115gr 9mm RN-FMJ, or 230gr .45ACP RNFP-FMJ) will vary according to the book you may be reading. This is why a chrony is so important. Load 5 rounds, then test fire them and note the muzzle velocities, comparing them with the published data to make sure you are either achieving the desired velocities and/or not exceeding the max velocities (usually an indication of overpressure loads).

So get as many books as you can honestly read, and keep them close to your reloading bench!

Cheers!

16. pjhorns

pjhorns New Member

Awesome feedback! I'll try a few, test a few and let you (all) know how it turns out.

17. Power

Power Proud Owner

What powders/bullets do you guys and gals like? I'm hearing #5 is a good one. LIke to load for my 40 S&W and my 45 Auto. I did order some Golden Saber bullets today, so I can shoot them in practice similar to what my SD load is and maybe do some fun stuff shooting jugs or gelatin or w/e.

18. chuckds

chuckds Certified Glock Armorer

I like Berrys plated 9mm and 10mm for range use. You can't tell if your shooting FMJ or Berrys when shooting at the range. B&B Bullets was the best price I could find last month. I like Tight Group for 9mm, you use less powder per round than most other powders. For 10mm I have only used Blue Dot, good performance but does not meter as well as Tight Group. I make my own SD rounds using XTP's.

19. corsample

corsample New Member

New to ReLoading

I just picked up everything to reload but the bullets themselves. I have a Glock 23 and I am looking to reload some good self defense rounds. All of the shops in a couple of miles are out of just about everything. I want to stay in the 155 or 165 gr range. Any suggestions for a bullet that spreads well and does enough damage to end the altercation? (Not looking for one, but want to be prepared)

20. Power

Power Proud Owner

MidwayUSA has loaded Golden Saber on sale right now for $17.99-$19.99/box of 25, which is more rounds than most SD loads. They also sell the raw bullets if you want to load your own. Performance seems pretty good with them, they shoot very accurately out of both my G21 and G23 and most balistic tests seems to say they perform well for SD. May be some newer bullets that are better but those are still pretty good I think.

---edit---
    Shoot, looks like they are backordered on most or all of the GS. May want to watch their site for availability.