An interesting excerpt...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by psimms95, May 7, 2012.

1. psimms95

psimms95 New Member

I am in high school and am currently having to read a lot of poetry, which I am not particularly fond of. Today, I read this and though it was a nice little lyric.
    "The seed ye sow, another reaps; The wealth ye find, another keeps; The robes ye weave, another wears; The arms ye forge, another bears.

Sow seed-but let no tyrant reap; Find wealth-let no imposter heap; Weave robes-let not the idle wear; Forge arms-in your defense to bear." -Percy Bysshe Shelley
    "Song to the Men of England"

2. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

It's nice that they still teach it in high school. Give it a chance, it might grow on you. Some things just can't be expressed without using it.

I do have a bias though, I was an English Lit. Major.

And thanks for putting up the verse.

3. psimms95

psimms95 New Member

I wouldn't mind it so much, if it hadn't been all I've been studying in English for the past few months. Just getting a little spent on poetry, you know?

4. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

If you haven't read "Animal Farm"...read that.

5. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I know. It can get tedious. Memorizing.

It'll all be behind you pretty soon.

6. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

Animal Farm and 1984, both are great.

Throw some Cormac McCarthy in there with "Blood Meridian" and "The Road"

7. psimms95

psimms95 New Member

"Animal Farm" and "1984" have both been previously recommended, but I have not had the opportunity to read them yet. I've seen the movie form of "The Road", don't know how it compares to the book.

8. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

The movie follows the book for the most part but it is still good. I read the book first. "Blood Meridian" is a really good book too. It was set back in the days when we were still expanding out to the west and everything was rugged and still new. This was also the time that scalping was a way to make money. When you read it I couldn't wait for the Judge to speak. His ideas were terrible and interesting. I never guessed the ending.

9. psimms95

psimms95 New Member

It sounds like I am going to have to compile a summer reading list.