Glock Firearms banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
Everyone has a different preference. I would recommend buying a few different types and trying them out. There is also a guy on youtube that does a lot of reviews on personal protection ammo, that might narrow down which you want and why!
http://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoors9/videos?view=1

I got that link from this thread:
http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f12/new-federal-guard-dog-ammo-5767/index3.html

I have had Hornady Critical Defense, Federal Guard Dog, Federal HST +P, and some normal JHP, all in 9mm. Right now, I am using the HST, but they are hard to find sometimes.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
What is a good personal protection round?
40mm ;)

all kidding aside, there's lots of tests out there that show that's there's not much difference in penetration and wound channel in modern ammo (9mm- .45).

Heck, even .22 can be lethal.

It comes down to recoil management (follow shots), shot placement, and ammo capacity. These three factors are more dependent on the individual (and individual preference) than anything else.

That being said, I carry .40, but I used to carry 9mm and I'd be comfortable carrying 9mm again.

d

·
"The Sarge"
668 Posts
Do a lot of research and form your own opinions. Most of all you must have confidence in your ammo choice. And it must run flawless in your chosen firearm with accuracy. The premium duty ammo from the major manufacturers is what I recommend: Federal HST, Winchester Ranger T, Speer Gold Dot and Remington Golden Saber. I carry the Federal HST in all calibers and that is my first choice. Go to the Federal/Speer law enforcement site www.le.atk.com and see the test data and videos. In the end, training, practice, and shot placement under stress is much more important than the bullet itself. Bill

·
"The Sarge"
668 Posts
Federal 147gr HST is my choice. Bill

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
3 Ammo Threads merged.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
+1 on the GOld Dot. RROSS has a captured gold dot (9mm) round that shows some beautiful expansion.

D

·
Administrator
53,029 Posts
Another vote for Gold Dot, I carry that in my .45, and NYPD carries it in there G19. Very good and effective round !!

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
I am using Gold dot in 180 grain. For my 9mm I have 115 grain critical defense rounds but may switch to gold dots for it also. I really like the critical defense rounds and know they work just want to switch it up a bit

1 - 15 of 15 Posts