Glock Firearms banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
I store my ammo in a sealed Pelican vault case with the silica gel pouches in it. I have a variety of brass (no steel) range 9mm, JHP and 12G shells. How long can I expect them to keep free of corrosion and other defects? I also have a pouch where I keep several filled magazines in a drawer where I can easily access them. Should I rotate those every so often? Its all in a climate controlled building. Any other tips for storage? Thx
I`ve had mine all stored in army issued ammo cans for 40/50yrs, they still go bang. As long as you store them in a cool dry place, there`s no worries. Hell i`ve got ammo older them me (and i`m 71) and it all still shoots fine.

Silica gel packs are fine. You can actually buy silica by the 5 gallon pails too. Do a search, they`re easy to find.

I usually buy mine like this because i store alot of different things. You can put it in the oven, heat it, re-use them.
https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Orange-Indicating-Desiccant-Replacement/dp/B00BXJ52GO

·
Registered
95 Posts
No issues with any of my ammo, but oldest of mine is probably 5 years old.

I store mine in ammo cans with silica pellets. No issues so far, not that that’s remotely a surprise.

Oldest ammo I’ve shot was 1941 303 British. A solid 1 second delay, but that’s cordite.

·
Registered
704 Posts
No issues with any of my ammo, but oldest of mine is probably 5 years old.

I store mine in ammo cans with silica pellets. No issues so far, not that that’s remotely a surprise.

Oldest ammo I’ve shot was 1941 303 British. A solid 1 second delay, but that’s cordite.
More than likely the corrosive priming along with the cordite.

·
Grumpy Old Man
3,924 Posts
In the afterlife? You’re getting short on time.o_O
Better watch out , I believe his made certain conditions in his will, regarding revenge!
As late as the 1980's I was using .303 Brit head stamped as early as 1914! Yes, there were hang fires and the necks used to split on a lot of it! But on the whole with modern components ammo has a long shelf life

·
Grumpy Old Man
3,924 Posts
Back in the 1970s. I became the proud owner of a Martini Henry 450-577. I know I got it quite cheaply from a Gun store in NSW and it was a mail order job. Included in the deal was 30 rnds of ammo. Now dear readers, believe me when I say that if a deal 'sounds to good to be true' ,it is!!!! Now the rifle looked as if it had been on the bottom of the ocean for about 100 years! If that wasn't bad enough, the ammo came in it's original packaging!!!!!!! Yep brown waxed paper tied up with string!
Now the case had a steel base and was soldered to the case which in turn was soldered up the side! If this wasn't bad enough the stuff was green with age!
I was about 17 at the time (from memory) My Old Man thought it was hilarious but suggested I should see if it fired!!!!
I test fired it by tying it to an old tyre, tying a long piece of string to the trigger and moving to a very safe distance and pulling it! Well behold it actually fired and didn't blow up! Now if the 60 yr old me could go back in time to the 17 yr old me .......I would kick his arse!
I decided that the rifle was safe to fire and went in search of goats! Some time and about 10+ misfires later, I bagged a goat at about 50 yds! I could not see the goat for smoke but I remember hearing a solid 'thunk' as the projectile hit! The moral of this story? Just cause ammo manufactured in the 1870s-1880s fires......Only an Idiot would try it!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I store my ammo in a sealed Pelican vault case with the silica gel pouches in it. I have a variety of brass (no steel) range 9mm, JHP and 12G shells. How long can I expect them to keep free of corrosion and other defects? I also have a pouch where I keep several filled magazines in a drawer where I can easily access them. Should I rotate those every so often? Its all in a climate controlled building. Any other tips for storage? Thx
I'm late to the party,,,,,,,,again. Ask your great grandchildren how they are holding up. You are going beyond what is usually needed. Just keep it in a temperature stable fairly low humidity environment. I use an inside closet. It will last longer than you and probably those grandchildren.

·
Premium Member
12,735 Posts
I'm late to the party,,,,,,,,again. Ask your great grandchildren how they are holding up. You are going beyond what is usually needed. Just keep it in a temperature stable fairly low humidity environment. I use an inside closet. It will last longer than you and probably those grandchildren.
I have some ww2 .45 acp from my grandfather that I wouldn’t hesitate to fire. I haven’t due to sentimental value.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It sounds to me like you are taking good care of your ammo. I would think as long as they are stored in a cool dry place they should be fine. I have a spam can of Moisin Nagant ammo 7.62x54R that is from the 1940’s and it fires just fine.
(could be wrong about the date, but it is definitely old military surplus)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts