Glock Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have a G26 9mm that I carry for personal protection. Could someone give me a simple explanation of the different grains and what would be best for concealed carry. Thanks!

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
I Have a G26 9mm that I carry for personal protection. Could someone give me a simple explanation of the different grains and what would be best for concealed carry. Thanks!
Not sure what your asking, grain weights are just units of measurement.

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! Grains are a scale of measurement in weight. A 147 gr 9mm bullet weighs more than a 115 gr bullet. I recommend a 147 +P or 124 +P bullet for personal protection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it basically has to do with weight, which I would assume affects velocity, correct? So a lower grain round would weigh less, which in turn has a greater velocity. I was just wondering because see many different grains on the market and was just wondering what the advantages or disadvantages are.

·
771 Posts
Great Question!

That is really a great question, one so many of us take for granted...A grain is a weight of measurement. There are 7000 grains in a pound...

So, think of it in the context of a rock. Using the G26 as an example, the diameter of the rock would be 9mm and the weight of the rock would be 115, 124, or whatever weight bullet you choose.

Hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
So it basically has to do with weight, which I would assume affects velocity, correct? So a lower grain round would weigh less, which in turn has a greater velocity. I was just wondering because see many different grains on the market and was just wondering what the advantages or disadvantages are.
Always keep "F=MxA" in mind. (force = mass times acceleration).

Target ammo doesn't have to be as "heavy" of a round.

Heavier round more mass, harder "hit".

The different weights can also affect felt recoil.

D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! That really makes a lot of sense and also thanks for not getting too technical! I appreciate the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts