Glock Forum banner

Ameriglo Ghost Ring...thoughts?

6K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  G30Sharpshooter 
#1 ·
Any experienced with these? Thoughts? I hear sight picture acquisition time is improved with these.

#5 · (Edited)
I would assume that if its an improvement for those who have "trouble" then ergo it should be an improvement for all? I'm going to keep looking into them. I've been hearing also that the front sights have reliability issues. And yeah from what I've seen on the internet they do stand taller. From what I gather though they have less occlusion of the target over open sights.

#6 ·
Ogre said:
I would assume that if its an improvement for those who have "trouble" then ergo it should be an improvement for all? I'm going to keep looking into them. I've been hearing also that the front sights have reliability issues. And yeah from what I've seen on the internet they do stand taller. From what I gather though they have less occlusion of the target over open sights.
No not improvement for all because those that don't have issues will acquire and engage the same on both sights.

Not sure what you mean about reliability issues with front sight post.

It doesn't matter if the front sight is taller than usual as long as the ratio is correct to the rear sight for desired POA/POI at desired distance. For example, as a starting point, both the front and rear sights should be the same heights. If your shooting low at a desired distance you want for POA/POI, and your fundamentals are solid, you would need a shorter front sight, or a taller rear sight.

You would have more obstruction of your target due to the nature of the rear sight having more material surrounding the aim point. The "ring" is designed to help people center the front sight (L-R, Up/Down).

#10 ·
Reliability issues in that I've heard of instances of breaking with the night sight version and loosening during fire with both the standard and night sight.
I've never seen a properly installed front sight come loose on a glock. I suppose it could happen now that they are screwed in rather than stacked, but I've just not seen it happen.

#11 · (Edited)
Most fronts that come loose are do the fact that most people dont know how to install correctly. We always cleaned the sight first the put a little dab of red lock tight on the threads of the screw. Never had a problem with them coming loose. One of my old 17s has had the same set of night sights on it since 1993. Tritium is so dim you can barely see them in the dark. Sooner or later Ill put a new set of Trijicons on it.

I tried a ghost ring on my 17L.....after a couple hundred rounds I took it off. I just didnt like the extra material around the top when I was aiming.

#23 ·
You dont need a tool for the plate. Just use the punch to move the firing pin sleeve down to release the cover plate and slide off with the thumb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.