Glock Forum banner

always hearing about the best ammo, what is the worst ammo in your opinion ?

30K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Braz 
#1 ·
I'm all ears on this one.

#2 ·
I think everyone has had a bad experience with most brands of ammo at some point.

Several years ago, I had 2 rounds out of the same box of UMC 9mm FMJ stove pipe in my G19. Since then I've never touched that brand but, I've heard other people give it high praises.

Last year, I kept reading reports of WWB (Winchester White Box) 100 round box 9mm having major problems but at the same time, I was using the .40 cal WWB without issues.

#8 ·
Unless you don't want to end up looking like Al Jolson singing "Mammy", I don't recommend using Blazer ammo in a "C" model at an indoor range.

I remember watching a guy one time using a G17 (not a "C") with Blazers on an indoor range one time. The thought hit me that it was like watching one of those old coal burning steam locomotives. He even had a grey/black smoke ring roll out on one shot. Might have had something to do with the ventilation or humidity in the place, but it was a sight to see.

#12 ·
Kmurray96 said:
Unless you don't want to end up looking like Al Jolson singing "Mammy", I don't recommend using Blazer ammo in a "C" model at an indoor range.

I remember watching a guy one time using a G17 (not a "C") with Blazers on an indoor range one time. The thought hit me that it was like watching one of those old coal burning steam locomotives. He even had a grey/black smoke ring roll out on one shot. Might have had something to do with the ventilation or humidity in the place, but it was a sight to see.
Nope, my Glock 36 hated Blazers. It smoked alot. Not sure what it was but that was the first and last time I ever used it in a Glock

#14 ·
Heard nothing but bad things about Wolf and Tula, havent used either one personally, but I have no desire to...

#15 ·
My opinion

White box = shot fine, cleaned up good, never had a hang up or mis-fire.

Tulamo = shot fine, never had a hang up or mis-fire BUT, I shot 100 rounds and it looked like I had fired 500+ rounds of white box when I got home to clean it. I had just enough to clean up "The normal amount" of carbon as I had experienced with white box and I had to go to the Gun Shop and get more cleaning supplies. I was pissed. Never going to shoot it again, I don't care how much money I could save.

The last couple boxes I have shot was a brand I believe was called American Eagle. It was 165gr instead of 180gr like the others. I shot better with it after a few boxes and it was only $15.99 per 50 round box. The owner of the gun shop said that he would let me place an order to stock up on ammo and the price would be about $12 per box if I did so. I am going to take him up on the offer.

The owner of the gun shop said that there is a reason why he doesn't carry Tulamo, because he can't sleep at night knowing he is destroying people's weapons. He has nothing to gain by telling me that they are junk so I took his word for it. He said I had gotten lucky that I had only shot 100 rounds of it cause he hears people complaining all the time about it.

#16 ·
^ good to know about that Braz

#17 ·
Braz said:
My opinion

White box = shot fine, cleaned up good, never had a hang up or mis-fire.

Tulamo = shot fine, never had a hang up or mis-fire BUT, I shot 100 rounds and it looked like I had fired 500+ rounds of white box when I got home to clean it. I had just enough to clean up "The normal amount" of carbon as I had experienced with white box and I had to go to the Gun Shop and get more cleaning supplies. I was pissed. Never going to shoot it again, I don't care how much money I could save.

The last couple boxes I have shot was a brand I believe was called American Eagle. It was 165gr instead of 180gr like the others. I shot better with it after a few boxes and it was only $15.99 per 50 round box. The owner of the gun shop said that he would let me place an order to stock up on ammo and the price would be about $12 per box if I did so. I am going to take him up on the offer.

The owner of the gun shop said that there is a reason why he doesn't carry Tulamo, because he can't sleep at night knowing he is destroying people's weapons. He has nothing to gain by telling me that they are junk so I took his word for it. He said I had gotten lucky that I had only shot 100 rounds of it cause he hears people complaining all the time about it.
I love American Eagle. But their 10mm is expensive.

#21 ·
That's good to hear that American Eagle is legitimate. The price is stupid low from my local gun shop. I'm shooting .40 (as you probably guessed) and $12 per box for bulk is pretty good around here.

American Eagle is made by Federal. I'm surprised you're finding it at those prices. It's usually far more expensive, at least in my experience, that anything comparable. I've seen it at $23.99! :eek:

#22 ·
For real ? Wow ! Looks like the gun shop owner really does like me. I will see if I can find a box around the house with a sticker still on it. I ain't lying about the price, I was so pumped when it shot good and fired relatively clean also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.