Alright Guys: Gen 4 Barrel in a Gen 3

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by kodiak, May 18, 2012.

1. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Somebody tell me why Glocks position is that a factory Gen 4 barrel (of the same caliber) will not work in a Gen 3?

I can understand their position on a Gen 3 barrel not being "recommended" for a Gen 4 due to the smaller crescent not fully capturing the Gen 4 RSA...but do not understand why the opposite would not work.

Before you ask why the heck would I do that...it's because I'm running a factory threaded barrel that has the crescent cut to accept a Gen 4 RSA.

Educate me, because I just put 200 rounds down range with zero issues.

...seriously, I'd like to know

2. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Ok...This is what I'm talking about:

1. Factory Gen 3 and Gen 4 barrels of the same caliber are dimensionally the same with the exception of the crescent shown here. The RSA seats here when installing the slide to the frame. On the left is a Gen 4 barrel, on the right is a Gen 3 barrel. You can clearly see the crescent is different on the Gen 4 in order to accommodate the Gen 4 RSA.
    [​IMG]

2. Here is a comparison of a Gen 4 RSA on left and Gen 3 RSA on right.
    [​IMG]

3. Gen 3 RSA seated in a Gen 4 threaded barrel at the top, and Gen 4 RSA seated in a Gen 4 barrel on the bottom for comparison on length when seated in crescent.
    [​IMG]

4. This is what the RSA's look like after they have both been installed/racked and removed from the frame (yes this is normal). The purpose of this pic is to show what a Gen 4 RSA looks like on the barrel lug of a Gen 4 barrel when removed (top) with a Gen 3 RSA in a Gen 4 factory threaded barrel (bottom). You can see that there is very little difference in relation to how far the RSA's have shifted.
    [​IMG]

So there you have it. Where are my high speed armorers at?

3. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Ok...for all those who care and for the purposes of prosperity on this forum:

Seems like an astute Glocker pointed out that recent production Gen 3 barrels appear to be identical to Gen 4 barrels. So out of curiosity, I pulled my 19C barrel out for comparison and this is what I found:

Factory threaded barrel on left (identical to Gen 4) - Recent Gen 3 (19C) in the middle - Older Gen 3 (RTF2) on the right
    [​IMG]

This seems to be a non issue.

Everyone agree? Is there some technicality that I'm missing which would cause a Glock tech to tell me otherwise?